News:

• May 10, 2024, 02:20:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Clear over Rustoleum?  (Read 3110 times)

Offline Joe Messinger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Clear over Rustoleum?
« on: July 15, 2009, 05:00:48 AM »
I'm sure this question has been addressed here before but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for in the search.

What clear coat works well over Rustoleum enamel?  After the clear has dried thoroughly, can it be sanded and buffed out?

Thanks,

Joe
Joe Messinger

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Clear over Rustoleum?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 09:09:55 AM »
I use Minwax oil based polyurethane, brushed on.  I don't have any idea if it can be rubbed out, but it makes a slick, fuel proof finish for a knock-around profile.  I looks a lot better than the spray can finish without a clear coat and makes it very easy to clean. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Larry Fulwider

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 03:20:02 PM »
Check out

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=12891.0

LustreKote clear over Rustoleum was one of the tested combos.

Larry Fulwider

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 03:52:58 PM »
I've been wondering about this myself. I am in the paint stage of my Trophy Trainer. I'm using Rustoleum enamel for color, for clear I'am looking at a can of Cabot's Clear water based polyurethane already on my shelf. Any idea if this will work?

Brian
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Joe Messinger

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 07:57:49 PM »
I started out using Lusterkote black and clear.  Even when the humidity was in the 50% range, both black and clear LusterKote blushed every time I sprayed it.  I've used it in the past without having a blushing problem but this time 6 out of 6 cans all blushed.  Just got the LusterKote from Tower about two months ago so I suppose it's fresh.

I have had no problems with Rustoleum blushing whatever the humidity is and that's why I asked about clear coats that are compatible with Rustoleum.  Maybe -Rustoleum- clear?  I couldn't find that at the Lowe's store where I bought the Rustoleum black.  I'm not sure they offer clear. They only had a few colors in either cans or spray.

Joe

joe
Joe Messinger

Offline Joe Messinger

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 11:15:39 PM »
This afternoon I thought I would try spraying some LusterKote clear over a test piece I painted about two weeks ago with Rustoleum black, gloss enamel .  The result was the LusterKote clear lifted the black Rustoleum like paint remover.  The black wrinkled and then bubbled up.  Turned into a black goo.

I know that Larry did some experimenting with LusterKote and Rustolem and his results were good.  I don't doubt that at all.  But, for whatever reason, it sure didn't work for me.  I know it's not but LusterKote smells like lacquer and the results were the same (for me) as spraying lacquer over enamel.

Anyway, just goes to prove what has been written here by many.  "Results may vary" and "Always try something new on a test piece first."

Best regards,

Joe
Joe Messinger

Offline James C. Johnson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 09:04:29 PM »
Joe....

Every can of spray paint I use .. I heat it up in the sink with the hottest water I can get... shake this stuff until you think it is done and shake it some more.. put it back in the sink .. get everything ready.. wipe the can done to get all the water off it... use a piece of cardboard and spray a test... don't get too close and don't put it on too thick.. build it up...

I use old light bulbs for testing stuck in a hole in a cardboard box... use lacquer thinner to clean them..

experiment for sure... I am always looking for a cheaper way to do things too but sometimes it just doesn't pay.

Jim

Offline Larry Fulwider

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 09:02:03 AM »
. . . the LusterKote clear lifted the black Rustoleum like paint remover.  The black wrinkled and then bubbled up.  Turned into a black goo.

. . . I know that Larry did some experimenting with LusterKote and Rustolem and his results were good.  . . .

Joe

The caveat in my test was the Rustoleum was several years old (from a crashed airplane). Also, I removed all the oil with soap, water, cleaners, and two applications of Prep-Sol.

My guess is that it won't work, based on your test, with "fresh" Rustoleum. Maybe heat / sun cured, but not practical for a "quickie" project. If two weeks of normal curing isn't enough, then it is not practical, I'd say. I doubt if the difference in results is black vs red, but the difference in aging, don't you think?

Thanks for the heads up! (I haven't done the actual project yet)

Larry Fulwider

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 06:43:39 PM »
I'm not sure if Rustoleum makes a clear, but they also make Painter's Choice, which does have a clear. I bought some, and will try it out on my TT later this week.

Brian
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline mike donovan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 03:36:10 PM »
I have used Rustolium color on several airplanes with good results. On one airplane i sprayed Rustolium clear over the color. It turned into a sticky mess as soon as fuel hit it. The clear is not fuelproof. I have heard that the metallic also are not fuelproof.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here