News:

• April 27, 2024, 03:51:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Certified Dope Availability  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Certified Dope Availability
« on: June 18, 2023, 10:31:54 AM »
A couple of months ago (can't remember whether it was April or May) I went to the Aircraft Spruce site to order Certified dope and it said it was going to be available the next month.  I figured -- oh, supply chain issues, bummer, I can wait.

I just checked -- neither Aircraft Spruce nor Wicks lists it at all.

Does anyone know what's going on here, beyond rumors?  Who is/was making Certified, and have they announced their intentions vis-a-vis making more?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Certified Dope Availability
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2023, 11:07:27 AM »
Does anyone know what's going on here, beyond rumors?  Who is/was making Certified, and have they announced their intentions vis-a-vis making more?

Hi Tim,

This is the response that I received from Aircraft Spruce:

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for contacting Aircraft Spruce.
Socomore has taken over this line and currently there in production so you will be better off buying Randolph products till there line is up and running.
If you have any further questions or concerns, please let us know. We are happy to help.

Warm regards,

Tad Smist
Product Support
(P) 951 372 9555 (ext 1387) | (F) 951 372 0555
tadsmist@aircraftspruce.com

BTW, I have sent an email to Socomore and have not received a response.

Dennis

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2023, 11:11:04 AM »
Thanks Dennis -- that sounds very un-rumor-like.  My decision at this point is do I buy Randolph now, or scrape the bottom of the barrel of the clear dope I have while waiting to see if Certified would appear.

It sounds like I should wait and see, but be mentally prepared to get a bunch of Randolph clear in the event that nothing happens.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Ken Bird

• 2020 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2023, 08:20:39 AM »
Tim,

My suspicion is that you are likely to be waiting a while before Certified dope is available again. Socomore's acquisition announcement goes back to September 2021.

https://www.socomore.com/en/blog/news/socomore-invested-in-pti-specialty-coatings

You may find some legacy stock in one of the aircraft supply shops near you such as Spencer at Thun field. I seem to recall that they did carry Certified there years ago but I see they no longer identify it on there website. Maybe worth a phone call  253-848-9349

Ken

Offline Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2023, 10:50:48 AM »
My suspicion is that you are likely to be waiting a while before Certified dope is available again. Socomore's acquisition announcement goes back to September 2021...

Ken

I received an email today from Socomore's Customer Service North America regarding Certified Butyrate Dope. This is the response from Socomore:

The product was discontinued... We do not have any alternative or replacements.

Dennis

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2023, 11:06:39 AM »
The product was discontinued... We do not have any alternative or replacements.

Time to switch to Randolph, and hope for the best.

Thank you for forwarding that.  It may not be the news I was hoping for, but I can move on now.
AMA 64232

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here