News:

• May 05, 2024, 11:01:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can you be in Love with a product?  (Read 1993 times)

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
Can you be in Love with a product?
« on: February 04, 2011, 07:44:31 AM »
So Randy Powell gets me onto Superfil by Polyfiber.

I was dubious at first... a 2 part epoxy filler - sounded to me like just 5 minute epoxy with a fancy name and big price tag ( well $ 25 a quart )

At first I had to locate it in my country - just so happens that 15 miles away near the airport is an aircraft supply place - that could supply me the filler in question provided it was for an " Ultralight " - I thought to myself 60 oz plane - thats pretty Ultra light.. so I went with it.

Best filler for Fillets Ive used hands down - Little touches here and there - its an epoxy filler turns blue once its set - and is VERY VERY easy to sand. Even with 1/32 and 240 grit you can get it down to the level of the balsa without any detectable raised area.

I think Im in love with it.. makes my job so much easier - Ive looked at past posts and it seems that Randy has been tooting that horn for a while - He only recently beat it into me.

So thanks for that - Great killer tip :)

Begs the question : What other products are you in love with ??

( Or am I weird ...........  ~>)

Why is everyone named Randy always right on the money???????
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Can you be in Love with a product?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 09:41:42 AM »
PJ,

It's a "Randy" thing.  ;D

Hmmm, ever try this stuff called cynoacrylic adhesive?     LL~
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 11:34:58 AM »
The fact that it's so easy to sand is what puts me off trying it out. That leads me to believe that the stuff has no strength if it's that easy to sand. I like my fillets to provide a degree of strength to the wing joint.

If I'm wrong here, someone set me straight.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 11:40:34 AM »
Its as strong as any other method that I have tried. I have seen no indications of the fillets cracking or failing on anything I have, including some of my profiles that have met the ground at other than optimal angles.
its not like sanding balsa, but compared to other fillet material, its the cats pajamas,,
It also seems to be a lot less prone to problems with paint lifting over the fillets than other products
Randy turned me onto it as well, now what do I do with all the OTHER stuff I have in my drawer for fillets,, cause I wont ever use it again?
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 03:07:20 PM »
I have been using Superfil for about 10 years. I will not use anything else.
AMA 7544

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 03:20:27 PM »
Tell me more about this cynoacrylic adhesive......  Is it better than the clag ive been using?
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
 LL~
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 08:08:06 PM »
Tell me more about this cynoacrylic adhesive......  Is it better than the clag ive been using?

Do you use "Tarzan's Grip"?  Good stuff, Maynard!  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 08:14:37 PM »
Dont laugh..  mw~ Not everyone is up with your New fangled technologies.. Some of us still use the good old stuff....

Sets like stone in 6 days..

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 09:37:34 PM »
PJ,

Bobby Hunt referred me to Super Fil a good while back, it IS the best fillet material, from all aspects, I have ever seen.  Never use Epoxilite, microballons and epoxy, or anything else anymore!

Well, I take that back, I will use balsa, but it really takes too long sometimes! LOL!!

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 02:25:18 AM »
Hard to top the Old Lepage Liqid glue and metal applicator.....  From what i've haerd that bob hunt knows a thing or two about finishes..  #^

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 08:53:33 AM »
You got to be pullng my leg about the old glue still being made? H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 02:26:15 PM »
I have to admit that for certain applications, I still use West Systems 104 epoxy and 410 microlight filler. The stuff is pretty cool for filling low spots or anywhere where you need some extra strength. but I use it seldom now. I've been using SuperFil for maybe 8 years and I keep finding other applications.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 09:50:15 PM »
I know what you mean randy - Ive been using it for ( not as long as you ) but Im now into 3 models with it. I've used it everywhere - Flaps, little wheel fairings, fillets is just the start.

I think I can Carve an Entire plane out of it - starting with a big block.

Yeah Johnny - I was kidding about using the ole' lepage

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 01:18:23 AM »
Does anyone still use good 'ole balsa cement? ;D The problem is getting hold of the stuff locally. When I was a kid, my dad used to mix me up a tub of Cascamite! a white powder, mixed with water, it set like concrete and was ideal for hardwood joints, I think it was made from animal bone stuff?  ???

Cheers
"I think, therefore I have problems"

(not) Descartes

John Leidle

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 09:41:41 AM »
   As I am slow to change I have used Sig Epoxolite forever but have been having trouble getting it & the price is up in a big way. I'd like to know more about this product you guys are talking about.  Randy why do you sometimes use the Epoxy putty mix you mentioned ? Is it added strength? And how stuctural is this Poly fil?
  Thanks, John

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 12:12:12 PM »
John,

No, I usually use epoxy mixed with microlight filler for areas that are required to flex. Like around a canopy. Haven't done it in awhile because the SuperFil seems to work fine for that. Like PJ, I love this stuff. Very light and easy to work with, yet it seems to add strength. Cool stuff.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2011, 06:19:02 PM »
As a side note - I dont use anythign unless i test it prior.

I was put onto it by Randy - and I product tested it for strength, flex and sandability.. I found it had more flex properties compared to Epoxy and microballoons, plus teh sandability was much easier even when you use MORE microballoons and less epoxy.

I was a staunch E/M combo user for years. Switched to it almost asap, infact my 3 latest models were fitted with Superfil.

I love it. :o

John Leidle

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2011, 08:58:29 PM »
  I might try this stuff I have to order some Nitrate soon so maybe I'll get some from A.S.
   Thanks , John

John Leidle

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2011, 09:17:25 AM »
  You know I think I remember the brand.. " Le Pages" cement back in the late '50's . I tried them all , Revell, Monogram, Linburg ... Testors cement I prefered.                            John

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2011, 11:00:53 PM »
 You know I think I remember the brand.. " Le Pages" cement back in the late '50's . I tried them all , Revell, Monogram, Linburg ... Testors cement I prefered.                            John

I remember LePages stuff well, we used the "paste" in school. ;D  I even found Duco recently.  But the only locally available glue for balsa airplanes was Testors when I was a kid.  Regular (tan-brown tube) and Extra Fast Drying (green tube). ;D 

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2011, 11:17:33 AM »
Wow! How topical is this thread for me; I just received my order from Aircraft Spruce with, drum roll please, Super Fil! I was going to post the question, "how good is it?", and now I don't have to. I wasn't sure if it was as good as Aeropoxy lite, but for the price, I sure wanted to try it. I only paid a few dollars more, and look how much larger the portions are.  #^ #^  And yea; I use a lot of Titebond III

Can't wait to try it!

Brian
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2011, 11:24:07 AM »
Hi Brian,

"Try it, you'll like it".

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2011, 12:14:21 PM »
Thanks for the pic Brian.   Will have to get some now for the project.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2011, 03:02:18 PM »
Wow! How topical is this thread for me; I just received my order from Aircraft Spruce with, drum roll please, Super Fil! I was going to post the question, "how good is it?", and now I don't have to. I wasn't sure if it was as good as Aeropoxy lite, but for the price, I sure wanted to try it. I only paid a few dollars more, and look how much larger the portions are.  #^ #^  And yea; I use a lot of Titebond III

Can't wait to try it!

Brian

HI Brian,

I have found that Super Fil sands a bit easier than Aeropoxy, and is not quite as critical with the mixing proportions.  I had some Aeropoxy that never would seem to dry if it wasn't mixed very, very carefully with regard to the amounts of A and B used.

Since Bob Hunt informed me of it about 10 or so years ago (maybe longer?), I haven't used anything else for fillets, and have been very pleased.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2011, 03:45:49 PM »

Can't wait to try it!

Brian
so Brian, when you got the containers, did you open them to make sure there was actually something in them? I know that was my first reaction, the stuff is pretty light considering the volume of the containers,, lol
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2011, 10:56:05 AM »
I had one instance where Superfil failed, it never hardened and I had to pull it off the plane, it came off like blue clay. I posted a question about its use but no one had had any difficulty. So I read the directions again, 2 to 1, got that right, by weight or volume, stirred the stuff well. then saw the little caution, "must be above 72 degrees F". I think they're serious with tht admonition. I've used it on three ships since, and it is fine.

So make sure the environment where it cures is above 72. And that the product itself is above 72F.

dg

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2011, 10:42:53 AM »
so Brian, when you got the containers, did you open them to make sure there was actually something in them? I know that was my first reaction, the stuff is pretty light considering the volume of the containers,, lol
I was tempted, the stuff really is lite! When I finally opened it to put down a small fillet I found the stuff easy to mix and apply. When it came time to sand, it really was great! So much easier to work with than Aeropoxy.  #^

I'm hooked!

Brian
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here