Building Tips and technical articles. > Paint and finishing

Can lacquer thinner and acetone be used interchangeably for dope finishing?

(1/3) > >>

frank mccune:
            Hi All:

The above says it all.  I have four gallons of clear dope that I do not want it to become too thick.  Can I add acetone to the dope without any problems.

Tia,

Frank McCune

Dennis Toth:
Frank,
Your best bet is to get thinner for the material you are thinning. Spruce Aircraft has thinner for Butyrate and Nitrate thinner.

Best,    DennisT

Shorts,David:
I used acetone to thin dope for spraying. And the answer is, it flash dries too fast and you will never get a smooth surface. It was chemical fine, at least my brands were. However, when I overcoated it with auto clear, it still shines.

Dan McEntee:
 If you look at most commercially available ( hardware stores) lacquer thinner, and then look at the ingredients, most will say "100% Acetone." Many guys have used Klean Strip lacquer thinner from Home depot and such here with good results. Use the search function and read all about it. if you are satisfied after testing that it's OK, treat your gallon containers with a dash, then reseal the lids and store them upside down. Any air will go to the bottom of the can and the liquid inside seals off any other air leaking in.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

Will Hinton:
I agree, the acetone is very quick to flash.  I do, however use it in 2 part clear to get it to flow a bit better.  I use a 4/1/1 ratio and it works quite well.
Keep in mind, though, that I have only done this for repairs, and not a large amount of material.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version