Building Tips and technical articles. > Paint and finishing

Can lacquer thinner and acetone be used interchangeably for dope finishing?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Dave Hull:
Frank,

I would not use straight acetone.

You should read this article on lacquer thinner which provides some good background.

https://thefinishingstore.com/understanding-solvents-part-iii-laquer-thinner/

Dave

frank mccune:
     Hi Guys:

I will add a bit of acetone to my dope in hopes that it retards the tendency to become thick during storage.

Thanks for all of replies!

Frank

kenneth cook:
              The cans that usually have dope or thinner in them pretty much suck. They leak regardless of how tight and this allows solvents to escape and air enter. I would reduce any head space in a can and make a additional gasket on the lid. Yellow folder or cardstock works well.

Will Hinton:
Something I have been doing for quite some time now for storage is to seal the can in a garbage bag for the larger cans, like gallon, containers, and smaller ziplock plastic bags for my quart of 2K accelerator to guard against moisture getting in.  After losing a can of hardener to it turning yellow and not curing, is when I started that.  Now I buy my hardener by the quart and really HAVE to be careful with it, but it works.

Istvan Travnik:
One fact more is essential about acetone: it is very hydrophile, when it is high amount in the solved lacquer, dope, etc. during spraying can get too much moisture from the air. It is very volatile, so the sprayed surface gets cool.
Most thinners contains at least 3-4 ingredients: esters (e.g. amylacetate, ethylacetate),  aromatics (cyclic hydrocarbons, e.g. toluene)...
Istvan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version