News:

• May 03, 2024, 06:28:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Buytrate OVER Nitrate  (Read 851 times)

Offline DanielGelinas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Buytrate OVER Nitrate
« on: May 08, 2011, 06:48:35 PM »
Aside from the fact that nitrate is not fuel proof, is there a reason why one should not put nitrate over butyrate?

I have one cote of 50% butyrate on my uncovered wing. Is it a problem to add 3 coats of nitrate, cover my wing and then finish with butyrate clear and colour dope?

Still lots to learn...

Thanks

-Danny  H^^ H^^

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
Re: Buytrate OVER Nitrate
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 07:03:33 PM »
Oh yeah, there is a very good reason.  You can put buytrate over nitrate, BUT NOT nitrate over buytrate.  If you do you will have a big mess.  You will probably hear from a few others on this forum telling you the same. :)
AMA 33676

larry borden

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 08:02:10 PM »
What Dan said! I use nitrate to apply silk as it seems to adhere better and fill in wood grain. I use nitrate to seal the silk then switch to tautening butyrate. Takes longer, but I enjoy doing it.

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 10:35:50 PM »
Yup, nitrate over butyrate will give you a wing covered in clear jelly. Butyrate over nitrate, perfectly safe. That how I do all my finishes.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 01:31:30 PM »
Well.....

Since I was a young boy I've known not to put nitrate over butyrate. I just started cleaning off the bench and putting stuff away (as in the quart can of Sig clear) from recently completing a  vintage combat ship. After at least 10 coats of Randolph Butyrate clear, I wanted to put down 2 coats of Sig butyrate. Numerous amounts of guys say Sig is more fuel proof then Randolph. I figured why not I have a half a quart lying around and you know what, since I have the gun out, I'll pull the Super Satan down and throw a couple more coats on that since it didn't look as good as I wanted..... Did I mention I also have a quart of Nitrate clear! Yup, I did it! I sprayed both planes with Nitrate :o Well, somehow I dodged a bullet, they both appear to be fine. Of course, now I have 2 planes that have Nitrate for final coats. Do I press my luck further and reshoot Butyrate over the top? I'm thinking I'll let them gas off a couple of weeks and give it a try. Any thoughts?

Edit for clarity; when putting the Sig clear away I looked at the label and noticed that I grabbed the nitrate off the shelf rather then the Butyrate and shot two completed planes with Nitrate. Yes they're covered, trimmed, and cleared!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 07:09:55 PM by Tom Luciano »
AMA 13001

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 04:58:22 PM »
If I had your luck, I'd buy a lottery ticket !  <=
AMA 33676

Offline Don Hutchinson AMA5402

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 05:20:53 PM »
If you only have one coat of butyrate on the framework, take a rag with thinner and wipe the framework down, sand it lightly and then put about 3 or 4 coats of nitrate over it. It should look fine, then proceed with the covering job.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here