News:

• May 07, 2024, 05:17:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Buffing out butyrate?  (Read 953 times)

Online FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • owner
Buffing out butyrate?
« on: October 10, 2009, 12:44:49 PM »
I've never tried to buff a finished plane.  Usually, some DuPont rubbing compound on the clear coats is as far as I want to go.

How difficult is buffing?  I'm concerned about either "burning" the finish, or breaking something with the buffing wheel.  I have one of those automomotive buffers, but it is too cumbersome for models.  Isn't there a small low-powered buffer that would be relatively safe to use?

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Re: Buffing out butyrate?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 08:59:09 PM »
I've never tried to buff a finished plane.  Usually, some DuPont rubbing compound on the clear coats is as far as I want to go.

How difficult is buffing?  I'm concerned about either "burning" the finish, or breaking something with the buffing wheel.  I have one of those automomotive buffers, but it is too cumbersome for models.  Isn't there a small low-powered buffer that would be relatively safe to use?

Floyd

Hi Floyd,

Buffing with a power buffer is not too difficult, but I use only the 3M foam pad buffing system.  I use a Snap-on electronic power buffer that I bought quite awhile ago for my shop for use on buffing dope finishes on full-scale airplanes.  The foam pad system is much more gentle as far as burning the finish, and if the pad happens to hook an edge or corner of the airplane then it just tears out a small piece of the foam pad instead of ripping off your flap or elevator.  3M offers buffing compounds, polishes, and waxes for the foam pad system and they work extremely well for dope finishes.  You can find the foam pad system at automotive paint supply stores. 

When buffing an airplane I have someone help hold the airplane down on a foam pad so that it won't move around.  I then buff the large areas like the wings/flaps, elevators, and top of the fuselage.  I get into the corners and intersections with a terry cloth rag by hand.  My airplanes are always open-bay structures covered with silkspan and dope finishes and using the above system saves a lot of time. 

I have not had to look for a smaller power unit for buffing as I have had the Snap-on electronic buffer for a few years now, however it is pretty expensive (about $350.00) so I would not go out and buy one just for the models.  I don't know what other power source that is very controllable is available.  The difference between an electronic buffer and a standard one is that the electronic one keeps the speed constant regardless of the pressure being applied to the wheel.
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here