News:

• May 08, 2024, 11:22:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak Crystal clear dope  (Read 1229 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Brodak Crystal clear dope
« on: March 14, 2009, 02:54:41 PM »
Anyone else tried Brodak Crystal clear dope.. Ordered a couple cans as I had problems with the regular clear butrate turning whites yellow.. Put the first coat of clear on the Latency this morning and have to say I'm really impressed. Have a little orange peal which I expected as I put the first coat on a little dry 50-50 with no retarder. Even at that it shines almost like it's been waxed. Was planning on shooting 4 or 5 coats but it may not need it... Looking forward to the final coat that will be about 60-40 with a touch of retarder, it should flow out very nice..

Really think I'm going to like this stuff....

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
Re: Brodak Crystal clear dope
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 03:59:47 PM »
I dont see the Crystal on Brodak's website. 
How did you know about it?  Is it more expensive than the regular clear.
Let us know final results.

Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 04:11:20 PM »
I dont see the Crystal on Brodak's website. 
How did you know about it?  Is it more expensive than the regular clear.
Let us know final results.

It's in the catalogue but haven't looked on the web site.. Don't have my catalogue handy but seem to remember it's a tad more expensive than regular clear. Well worth whatever the difference is.. I'll round up my catalogue (think it's out in the shop) and post what I find as soon as I can.

Found it....
BP-1082P 16 oz retail $15.99
BP-1082Q 32 oz retail $29.99

Quart of regular clear is $21.29 so it is a bit more expensive. One quart would be about right to clear a 700 sq/in stunt ship.

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 06:59:28 PM »
A bit more expensive is an understatement. Randolph Butyrate Clear is $40 a gallon, granted it's not the Crystal Clear but Brodak dope is Randolph. Wonder why the giant price difference  ??? ??? ???
Leester
ama 830538

Offline steve pagano

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 07:35:03 PM »

The Brodak dope i have used in the past(Clear) has always had a strong yellow tint to it. I recently ordered a quart of clear non tautening butyrate dope from wicks. On there web site they offer more then one kind of clear non tautening. Clear and tint. i order the clear clear! and that's exactly what it is.

Oh and as for price $14.95 Half as much as brodaks

http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog/product_detail.php/pid=9960~subid=9147/index.html

Steve P.
Success isn't a destination.It's a journey!!!!!
A.M.A. 820-823

Offline Larry Fulwider

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 10:11:57 PM »
It's in the catalogue but haven't looked on the web site..
. . .

BP-1082P 16 oz retail $15.99
BP-1082Q 32 oz retail $29.99
. . .

It is not on the web site. Usually, with something new, Brodak's search function will find the number, even if the item isn't where it should be. I put in both BP-1082P and BP-1082Q with no luck.

Have you ever used Sig Lite for a top coat? In another thread somewhere, sometime, someone said the Sig was water clear and a lot glossier than Brodak clear. (I have some, but haven't used it.) I wonder if Brodak simply caught up with Sig, or surpassed them?

Larry Fulwider

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 10:04:33 AM »
Have no idea, I have only used Brodak because I have a really hard time getting a good finish and it's easily available. Figure if I stick to one source, learn it's traits, make the mistakes and try not to repeat the mistakes I am increasing my odds. As far as expensive, might be but it's still a small portion of the overall cost to build one of these things. Use whatever makes you happy I'm not trying to sell anything just relating my findings.

If you are using Brodak dope might check with S&S on pricing..

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here