News:

• May 05, 2024, 10:35:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak Candy Colors  (Read 2343 times)

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Brodak Candy Colors
« on: February 17, 2011, 07:03:15 PM »
Have any of you guys used the Candy colors from Brodak?  I tried the Royal Purple when a long time ago (not sure if that was a candy cover or not) but it was a nice color but faded before the summer was over.

James
AMA 491167

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
Re: Brodak Candy Colors
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 12:45:42 AM »
One of our club members used several on his Buso "Vegas", and they all faded. I used the candy red, and in much less time that most planes spend in the sun, it faded to about half of its original color, in some places disappearing completely. I will use something else - bought some "fade proof" dye colors - in the future.

SK

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 11:34:11 AM »
Well, I use House of Kolor Kandy Koncentrates candy colors and just add them to clear dope. No fade problems. I used Apple Red and Cobalt Blue as trim colors on the plane last year. It spent a ton of time in the sun and looks pretty much as it did when I painted it. I plan to shoot some Spanish Gold candy color (made from HOK candy concentrate) over the base coat on the new plane.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 04:56:50 PM »
I think the big thing most people use when spraying candy colors is UV protection. Randy, myself and several others use Urethane clear which has very effective UV protection. Clear Dope, to my knowledge, has no such UV filters built in
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 08:23:56 PM »
While I would never argue with the master, I would note that Pete Peterson uses HOK candy concentrates in clear dope and generally does clear dope as a top coat. His haven't faded either.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 09:34:04 PM »
I did a model a few years ( 2000 ) ago in House of Kolor Hot red, colour shift to pink - It didnt fade.
You can see the wing looks pink and the nose / fuse looks red.

I also through a pearl over the checkers to colour shift them from Black to dark green - looked nice but was a pain to spray.
You can guess what model inspired THAT colour scheme..

I loved that model, but it never performed as good as the next model. The only change was made in the Stab from flat to airfoiled, I still have this model and I've been tempted to cut the stab out and replace it, but ive got so many other projects taking my time...

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 12:24:28 AM »
Hi James,

While not having used the Brodak Candy colors myself, I have seen a few painted with them in the past.  They faded real bad.  I don't know if the formulas have changed to help prevent the fading?

I agree with Randy P., the HOK paints are great, and have been for about 50 or more years! LOL!!  Maybe being automotive paints, they are better suited to resist fading.  ???

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 11:40:34 PM »
Did I mention how expensive House of Kolour Kandy is ?

* cough cough  *

You think PPG Clear is expensive....

I used Kameleon Pearls and added it to the clear before final spray.

Description: The color changing effect of Kameleon® Pearls are just as dramatic as the Kameleon¿ Base coats Available in four color changing pigments, they are in dry form and may be added to SG-100 Intercoat Clear or any of our acrylic lacquer or urethane clears. The pearls can make a vehicle appear to be different colors to people looking at it from different angles. Use these pearls to add an exciting flare to your artwork.

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 08:26:39 AM »
PJ, I take it, that is you on the far right?    H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 09:07:00 AM »

* cough cough  *

You think PPG Clear is expensive....

I used Kameleon Pearls and added it to the clear before final spray.

Description: The color changing effect of Kameleon® Pearls are just as dramatic as the Kameleon¿ Base coats Available in four color changing pigments, they are in dry form and may be added to SG-100 Intercoat Clear or any of our acrylic lacquer or urethane clears. The pearls can make a vehicle appear to be different colors to people looking at it from different angles. Use these pearls to add an exciting flare to your artwork.

Different cost levels, and none is cheap.  Fortunately there are some outlets around the country that discount different HOK materials. 

PPG pearl powders can get expensive as are Dupont "Prism" paints.  Fortunately, we don't use a LOT on each model! LOL!!

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 12:40:42 PM »
Yea, I bought a jar of HOK pearl and I've used it in 4 or 5 planes and still have half a jar. Same with the candy concentrates. I've used a bunch and still have a bunch left. Cost is relative.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 05:33:14 PM »
John :) Yeah thats me the young'n - That plane was 11 yrs ago..  I was 21 !

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 06:15:41 PM »

* cough cough  *

P.J.

Get the "concentrate" and add it to your own clear.  Much cheaper that way.

I recently found the source of the "fluorescent red" used on Richard Petty's NASCAR rides and the STP Indy cars, etc., back in the '70s-'80s.  It is a concentrate to add to clear.   I saved the bookmark and can look it up if anyone is ever interested.  It doesn't fade.....

I wonder what those ~4 oz. of "Venus Gold Dust" I have that was used in the late '50s-early '60s on a few race cars would cost today?  It is so fine a powder that it literally "pours".  And it's gold........  my buddy still has a few QUART CANS of the powder left.  (It's going to be the gold trim on the Airon when I paint it, copying Jim's "61 NATS Jr. winner paint scheme)

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 07:13:53 PM »
P.J.

Get the "concentrate" and add it to your own clear.  Much cheaper that way.

I recently found the source of the "fluorescent red" used on Richard Petty's NASCAR rides and the STP Indy cars, etc., back in the '70s-'80s.  It is a concentrate to add to clear.   I saved the bookmark and can look it up if anyone is ever interested.  It doesn't fade.....
Bill,
I might be interested in the "flourescent red".

James
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 08:30:56 PM by Bill Little »
AMA 491167

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 08:32:22 PM »
HI James,

Let me dig through my bookmarks and get the link for you.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 07:00:50 AM »
Who said stunt was Cheap?

I got into it for the Fortune, Fame, women and glory.

Im yet to find any of them  ~>

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 09:08:40 AM »
Hey I am well known in the modeling circles.   The rest I am still working on. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 07:33:24 PM »
Bill,
I might be interested in the "flourescent red".

James

Hi James,

My original bookmark no longer works, but this is the color chip page for SEM who makes the concentrate I was referring to.  The old product ID was 172...... seems the web site changed since i last visited! LOL!!

http://semproducts.com/images/Users/Chip%20Cards/COLOR%20HORIZONS%20CHIP%20CARD.pdf

This is the FLUORESCENT CONCENTRATES page:

http://semproducts.com/Catalog.asp?prod=172

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 08:25:13 PM »
I think I'll stick with HOK. I just bought a 4oz bottle (enough to do may planes) of Spanish Gold for $10.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2011, 10:19:54 PM »
I think I'll stick with HOK. I just bought a 4oz bottle (enough to do may planes) of Spanish Gold for $10.

Hmmmmmmm......... I never did look at the prices for the SEM stuff.  But James wanted to know (I guess) because I posted the Petty's used the Fluor. Red concentrate from them.  And so did Granitelli, AFAIK.  Personally never used the stuff, sorry!

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2011, 02:26:55 AM »
Someone in another forum asked about this same paint job.. with the colour shift so I'l reply here and paste..

Sorry this isnt Brodak Kandy - but its similar about Kandy paints.

Here are the Checkers at the rear of the Model. Starting Black - Colour shift to Dark Green in light.

Wing Red colour shift to Pink

Same as the Flaps Black Checkers Color shift to Blue

This effect is done adding to the clear as mentioned I used Kameleon Pearls and added it to the clear before final spray.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here