News:

• April 27, 2024, 01:03:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: brodak butyrate dope  (Read 965 times)

Offline brian sisson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
brodak butyrate dope
« on: September 19, 2023, 07:02:12 PM »
What is the preferred method of applying tinted butyrate dope over nitrate on balsa, spray or brush? I have brushed 3 coats of nitrate over bare balsa. sanding between coats.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: brodak butyrate dope
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2023, 06:48:19 AM »
Brian,
What are you trying to achieve? If you are going to apply covering I suggest you apply with the nitrate then you can just brush on the Butyrate. If you are at the final coats then spray for a smooth finish. Ig you want to use an inexpensive spray system look in Home Depot for the Preval Spray System, come with 4oz jar. Make sure you strain the dope before spraying thin 60/40 ish thinner/dope.

Best,   DennisT

Offline brian sisson

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2023, 07:35:31 PM »
Brian,
What are you trying to achieve? If you are going to apply covering I suggest you apply with the nitrate then you can just brush on the Butyrate. If you are at the final coats then spray for a smooth finish. Ig you want to use an inexpensive spray system look in Home Depot for the Preval Spray System, come with 4oz jar. Make sure you strain the dope before spraying thin 60/40 ish thinner/dope.

Best,   DennisT
No covering just going over balsa that has been nitrated.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2023, 07:09:44 AM »
Brian,
If the wood grain is filled then I would go with the Preval Sprayer approach as this should give a even coat and require less total dope/

Best,   DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here