News:

• April 27, 2024, 08:18:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Blocker coat over blue silk for yellow trim  (Read 1925 times)

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Blocker coat over blue silk for yellow trim
« on: November 20, 2012, 10:33:53 AM »
Guys,
I am getting to the point of putting on the yellow trim on my El Diablo. The ship has darkish blue silk that will be cleared. The trim will be along the leading edge. Question - do I use primer or silver for the block coat? The last ship I painted I did the silver and had to put several coats of yellow on it to get coverage. I would like to keep the paint to a minimum to hold down the weight. I plan to do a final clear coat with death paint to finish it up.

Best,        DennisT

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
Re: Blocker coat over blue silk for yellow trim
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 12:37:04 PM »
I would use light grey then white before the yellow. Or just use white as the blocking coat then the yellow. Yellow does not cover dark colors very well as I am sure you already know.

Derek

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 12:18:05 AM »
I would use light grey then white before the yellow. Or just use white as the blocking coat then the yellow. Yellow does not cover dark colors very well as I am sure you already know.

Derek

Roger that...yellow sprayed over silver will have a greenish cast to it & will never be as bright yellow as it would if sprayed over white.  I have found over the years that if the only object is to brighten up the yellow then you can just spray a very thin, almost "blotchy" looking single coat of white (doesn't need to be solid uniform white covering the underlying color) just prior to the yellow.  Works the same for full-scale airplanes as it does for models.  The same thing works for reds.
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 10:02:04 AM »
I did some additional searches and seems that Sig has a primer that they call Sanding Sealer. It is suppose to cover and give a good base for color dope. I always thought of sanding sealer as more of a clear then a blocker base. Others have said that clear dope and Zinc Steroid work as a filler and base. Anyone try either of these with yellow or white top coats?

Best,        DennisT

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 10:30:18 AM »
Dennis,

I cannot see myself having any of my models primed gray when white primer is available.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 03:03:27 PM »
I did some additional searches and seems that Sig has a primer that they call Sanding Sealer. It is suppose to cover and give a good base for color dope. I always thought of sanding sealer as more of a clear then a blocker base. Others have said that clear dope and Zinc Steroid work as a filler and base. Anyone try either of these with yellow or white top coats?

Best,        DennisT

Hi Dennis,

Sig's Sanding Sealer is their Lite Coat Clear (low shrink) with fillers added (don't know what they use).  It is not intended as a blocking coat, simply a grain filler before and finish is applied.

You can get white automotive primer (Duplicolor has a good one) in spray cans and use that for your blocking coat since it does cover a bit better than white dope.  I do not believe that the small amount you will use will adversely affect the weight.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags: blocker  paint 

Advertise Here