News:

• April 27, 2024, 09:08:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Best prep for metal with castor oil?  (Read 721 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Best prep for metal with castor oil?
« on: December 25, 2010, 10:32:22 AM »
So, I was in a hurry to get to Salem last year and I just flew with an unpainted tank.  I really want to paint my tank to match the plane while the weather has me grounded -- but it's all slimy with castor.  What's the best way to clean it?  Isopropyl alcohol?  Soap & water?  Phosphoric acid?  Lye?  All four?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Best prep for metal with castor oil?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 11:08:11 AM »
Phosphoric acid is probably the best.  It is an ingredient in most good detergents.  I used to use it for cleaning alum for heli-arc welding, I found a good substitute is Simple Green, believe it or not.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 12:45:03 PM »
Dish washing liquid soap, as stated, plus a good scrubbing with 0000 dry steel wool.  Tis will give the paint some "bite" in the metal.  Be sure to use the furniture  grade wool stuff as it will not have any oil in it.  Be sure to cap the fuel tubes y1
If you can find an epoxy based paint that matches the plane, all the better than using dope. Fuel will eventually dissolve the dope on the tank. The nature of the beast. y1
I forgot to mention that the plane is painted with Rustoleum protective enamel spray-bomb, so that's what I was planning on using.  Hopefully it'll be fuel proof with unrelenting exposure -- it's sure been OK in the area around the fuel tank, though.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 04:39:05 PM »
It should clean up just fine.  Dawn makes a Grease Dissolver (or some such, I have some in the basement) that really does a good job of cleaning grimy engines.  I have found that using a good metal etching primer really helps the longevity of the paint job!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 05:49:20 PM »
It should clean up just fine.  Dawn makes a Grease Dissolver (or some such, I have some in the basement) that really does a good job of cleaning grimy engines.  I have found that using a good metal etching primer really helps the longevity of the paint job!

And that Dawn cleaner really make things rust and oxidize very badly, be sure to neutralize the part and protect it from rusting afterwards.

Randy

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 08:09:13 PM »
And that Dawn cleaner really make things rust and oxidize very badly, be sure to neutralize the part and protect it from rusting afterwards.

Randy

Thanks, Randy. For me, I wash it down after using the "Dawn', then oil it up with Air tool oil.

For painting purposes I just wash it off cleanly, and hit it with etching primer.  No rust that way yet. ;D

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here