News:

• May 01, 2024, 11:34:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Base coat color  (Read 711 times)

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Base coat color
« on: March 25, 2010, 06:43:53 PM »
I finally have my Formula S in primer (I'm going to sand a little more to try and get some more weight off).  The colors are going to be white, with red and blue trim.  I was thinking of painting the entire thing white and then the blue and red over the white as it won't take much blue or red to cover.  Would this build up more weight than shooting the color over the gray primer?  (Also, my lettering will be white and had planned to use a mask to block out that area when shooting the other color around it.

Thanks,

James
AMA 491167

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
Re: Base coat color
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 10:42:58 AM »
I have done exactly what you describe seveal times.
I dont think this method causes any significant weight penalty because the red and blue trim colors over the white will only take 2 thin coats for good coverage.  Only issue is when you sand down the masking edges of the trim colors before spraying clear you have to be real careful not to sand thru the trim.  To do this I use some kind of a shield and only expose about 1/8" of the trim, use 600 paper wet and very light pressure.  You dont have to take the edge all the way down, just knock off the bulk of it before shooting the clear..
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 11:44:24 AM by Allan Perret »
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 11:49:39 AM »
I disagree with Ty.  It has been my experience that any trim color sprayed over a white base will result in a brighter and truer shade of the trim versus spraying same trim over a darker base.   
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 11:14:14 AM »
I generally use a white base. Remember that reds and yellow are transparent and will show both variations in the base and the base color. . The solid white base works well for that reason. The white base works well for all colors. Lighter shade blues would also cry for the white base.
AMA 7544

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here