News:

• April 26, 2024, 11:29:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Applying clear top coats  (Read 1196 times)

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Applying clear top coats
« on: July 08, 2020, 12:59:02 AM »
I would like to put one more coat of clear dope on the top of my spitfire, but only the top. My question is will it warp the wing? It's a D tube wing covered in silkspan and has an all dope finish. All the clear is on but I would like to add one just on top.    Kevin King.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Applying clear top coats
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 04:54:11 PM »
Kevin,
How many coats of clear dope did you apply? When you applied the last coat did the covering sag/loosen? I think as long as the you let the last coats gas off a week or so one coat should not cause a problem. I think Windy and many others have done this without problems.

Best,   DennisT

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 11:17:34 AM »
Hi Dennis. I have 5 coats on it, much which was sanded off. I don't recall the silkspan ever sagging on any plane I've painted. Probably because I've always used a fast drying thinner. This morning I decided to go for it.😁 It's "non taughtning" dope so, I think it will be fine. 🙏 I also added extra Flex All. Also only 30 percent of the mix was dope, and much will be sanded off anyways. This much time invested I just wanted to cover all my bases.   
  Kevin.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 12:42:49 PM »
Kevin,
Sound good, just be careful with the Flex-all. You didn't mention the brand of dope but if it is Brodak it was formulated with the plasticizer so just a touch is ok but to much and it will dry with a softer surface that will make it harder to rub out. Also, are you going to put "death paint" over the clear? If so I would go real easy on the Flex-all as you don't want to have adhesion problems.

WTW the ship looks great. What are you powering it with and what does it weigh?

Best,  Dennis Toth   

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 01:09:11 PM »
Dennis, at the last minute I chickened out and sprayed a thin coat of Sig Lite Coat on the bottom of the wing. l was almost late for work! 😆 I already had the bottom sanded up to 2500 grit and was going to polish it after some dry time. That too was the other reason I didn't want really want to spray the bottom. It's a porker. If it weighs 70 oz I will be lucky. It will be powered by a Ro Jett 67 LS on a shortened header muffler. No Death paint.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 01:41:26 PM by kevin king »

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 09:28:45 PM »

One of my favorite sayings came once from Randy Powell here, there's a point you reach where you just stop and "abandon the finish". I consider that a very wise comment. With this Spit I'd say you're there, it looks awesome and at this point you sure don't want to risk making a mess of something.  n1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 02:52:05 PM »
Nice plane.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2020, 09:45:11 PM »
Nice plane.

Uh-huh, yeah, kinda like saying "Nice Bentley".  :##
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2020, 07:41:31 PM »
It that is one of Windy U Spitfire designs 70 oz no problem at all RO Jett 67 has boat loads of torque , ie power will pull that with ease . A good friend of mine had a take apart Windu U design Spitfire that flew excellent had RO Jett 76 , 67 has the same power as 76 .

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here