News:

• May 10, 2024, 05:39:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Applying CF veil  (Read 760 times)

steven yampolsky

• Trade Count: (0)
Applying CF veil
« on: September 18, 2012, 03:10:20 PM »
I'm used to applying silkspan on the solid airframe components. With Silkspan, things are easy: spray water and it will bend around any compound surface. Shrinking dope also helps.

For my new airplane, I decided to try CF veil. Is there a trick to applying it? it does stretch or shrink. It frays easily. It does not become soft when sprayed with water. How do I work this thing!?  HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~>

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Applying CF veil
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 08:39:03 PM »
Hey Steve- carbon is the best for stiffening soft balsa but don't try open bays.  Apply dry with thinned dope (after say 3 good clear coats beneath). It doesn't shrink at all which is actually what makes it great.  It doesn't work compound curves so just piece it and sand off overlaps before putting on any more dope.  I use .5 in the fillets, on the nose and cowling.  Then .2 for flaps, elevators and rest of fuselage.  Light silkspan to cover the wings and stab.  Once you try it you won't build without it again!

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Commander
Re: Applying CF veil
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 03:15:57 PM »
Hi Steve -  You might have CF that is sized, meaning it is treated with diluted wallpaper paste to reduce the tendency to fray and shred.  If so, it will take 4-6 tries with dope to get enough thinner on the CF to get it to snuggle down to compound curves.  Try a jar of acetone with the dope.  Use a brushful of acetone to get the CF down on the surface, then dope right on top of it.  No need to be neat, keep the brush full of both liquids to prevent shredding of the CF.  You'll find that the added stiffness is a real advantage.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here