News:

• May 10, 2024, 02:32:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Application of dope with brush  (Read 1604 times)

Offline Sheldon Hartwell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Application of dope with brush
« on: January 23, 2013, 06:15:13 PM »
Hey guys,
       I was hoping that you could help me out again................. How do you people get such great looking finishes on your projects ? All of my dope finishes have to be applied with a brush since I don't have the facilities or equipment to spray. When I apply the dope ( colored or clear ), the brush seems to pull or drag and the finish dries way to fast. No time for it flow and smooth out. I've tried thinners and retarders, of the same company, with the same results. I've tried using 60/40 and 70/30 mixtures ( color/ reducer ), and have had the same results. My shop is in the basement with a cool environment and a dehumidifier going . Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.
                                                                                      Thanks,
                                                                                           Sheldon

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
Re: Application of dope with brush
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 07:40:34 PM »
The best advice I can give you is to thin the dope at least 60%, and only brush it out about 3 to 4 inches at a time, and only use two to three strokes without loading up the brush. I load the brush by putting it in the dope about half to three quarters of the way up the bristles, and touching one side of the brush to the inside of the container to keep it from dripping off. You just have to keep the brush moving or it will stick especially when you brush to far without loading the brush up good. It is way better to put on several coats of thin dope than thicker dope, and it will keep brush marks to a minimum. Hope this helps.
Jim Kraft

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 12:57:49 PM »
I have  4 ounce jar of SIG dope that has been thinned almost 100%.   It was way too thick to brush.  I use one of those expensive s called camel hair brushes that is not camel hair.   Watched an episode of "How Do They Do It".   No I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 08:20:39 AM »
I always brush the clear and spray the colors.

In the olden days I brushed everything.  When I tired to do some painting in the 21st century I found that the dope had been reformulated.  When I brush on the second coat the new thinner dissolves the existing color and makes a mess. In the old days this didn't happen.  Dry was dry.  Now I can add thinner to rock-hard dope residue and use it again.

About five years ago I broke down and bought a compressor and a bunch of air brush paraphernalia.  It's the only way to go. 

Taking about thinning by ratio or percentage is pointless.  We don't know how thick the dope was to begin with.  It's an art, based on stirring the painting and thinning by feel.  If it doen't go through the air brush, add more thinner.  I use old glass shot glasses.  When the nozzle clogs because the dope was too thick, clean the nozzle with clean thinner and dump the tinted thinner back into the spray jar.
Paul Smith

Offline Sheldon Hartwell

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 04:51:34 PM »
Hi Paul,

I've only had the rudimentary basics of spray painting in A & P school. You are absolutely right, paint mixture is not a measured type of thing, it's done strictly by the consistancy of the paint being applied to the job. I've gotten alot of great information regarding brushing on the previous feedbacks, but nothing on spraying. My very brief dabbling with spraying was disastorous. It seemed that as soon as the dope hit the surface, it was dry. No flow, no smoothing. How do you shoot dope with a spray gun ? What is the method of thinning the dope in the gun and still make it flow-out ?

Sheldon

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 05:07:52 PM »
It's an art, based on stirring the painting and thinning by feel.

Or get a viscosity measuring cup and a stopwatch.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 05:12:09 PM »
My very brief dabbling with spraying was disastorous. It seemed that as soon as the dope hit the surface, it was dry. No flow, no smoothing. How do you shoot dope with a spray gun ? What is the method of thinning the dope in the gun and still make it flow-out ?

My very brief dabbling with spraying dope was a great success.  Granted, it was a long time ago, but it was successful.  I used my dad's spray gun, my dad's spray bench, in my dad's spray booth.  I thinned the dope a whole bunch with the lacquer thinner that was in the five gallon can right there, until it looked to be almost as thin as water (yes, Paul, this is in opposition to my snarky comment about a viscosity measuring cup -- but every paint manufacturer tells you to use one).  Then I sprayed it on with no problems.

I did have some expert help close by, to draw on if I needed, and I think I did ask my dad some questions starting with "if we assume that this stuff is just like lacquer, then..."
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here