News:

• May 06, 2024, 03:09:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Anyone else have the same problem as me?????  (Read 1914 times)

Offline Jerry Rauch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Anyone else have the same problem as me?????
« on: January 16, 2011, 11:52:47 AM »
Why can't I  come up with a color to paint my planes? I am up to four planes ready for paint now and cannot for the life of me, come up with a color to paint any of them. Am I that brain dead? It seems that I can't come up with a color, so I just start another one. I've got a Sig Twister, a RSM Thunderbird, a Sterling Skylark, a Goldberg Voodoo. Now I'm starting a Jetco Dolphin... This has got to stop!!!!!How does everyone else do this?
I know I'm not creative nor can I visualize anything, but this is getting ridiculous!!!!!

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
Re: Anyone else have the same problem as me?????
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 01:03:42 PM »
There have been other posts on this subject. Hot-Rod magazines, Custom Boat Mags, Motorcycle Mags, Day old anchovy  pizza  LL~, all have been suggested. Why not go to the source, an airport? If you can access a general aviation airport, or general aviation ramp of a commercial airport, check out how those planes are painted. Pipers and many homebuilts in particular have paint and trim schemes that can work on our models. Can't get to an airport?, pick up a few general aviation magazines and see what you can find. Has always worked for me.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 01:29:11 PM »
Insignia Red. Black trim.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 01:36:17 PM »
Also your local model plane flying field -- look for planes that you like; if you see something that makes you go "zing!" then copy it.  Or take a swing through the toy section of your local department store, looking at the airplanes and space ships (and, IMHO, hot pink stunt ships with Barbie heads for pilots is an entire genre of decorative themes that has not been adequately plumbed -- maybe about 3/4 black, with generous trim in hot pink, and Barbie wearing a color-coordinated headset).

Or paint it red, white and blue (or whatever your national colors are).  The colors look good together, and you can't go wrong with a flag scheme.

I find that when I'm in a dilemma like this I'll just forge ahead, even if I think I'm not going to like the results.  At best, when I'm standing there holding a can of paint in my hand and looking at all the bare primer what I really want to do will crystallize.  At worst, I'll end up with an ugly, but flyable airplane.

Or make a rough three-view of it to fit a regular sheet of paper, make copies, then steal your kid's crayons.  Try a whole bunch of different schemes -- horizontal stripes, vertical stripes (ugh!), swirls, swoopy lines, etc.  Then show them to your wife and use the one that she lingers over for the longest (unless she's laughing out loud when she's doing it, of course).

(Or black, hot pink, and bright orange.  You may have to accessorize Barbie's cockpit with a bong if you go that far, but it'll certainly get the judges attention).

(Or black, hot pink, bright orange, and Ken in the cockpit with pink hair.  Cockpit accessories left as an exercise for the reader.).

(Or black, with your AMA number in charcoal gray as the only trim, and Will Smith in the cockpit wearing mirror shades and a black suit).

(I'd suggest Porche Indian Red, with a chrome stripe down the center line of the fuselage, and Grommit in the cockpit -- but that one's mine, mine mine!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy9QeosTh7w&list=SL).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 01:58:01 PM »
Go to www.airliners.net  or www.Air-britainphotographicimages.com  type in a particular aircraft and dozens of coloured photos will appear! Try the aerobatic types like Zlin Z226, or Pitts, there are thousands of photos on there!

Cheers
"I think, therefore I have problems"

(not) Descartes

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 02:04:34 PM »
I generally consult my wife.  She has a far better color sense than I do.  Usually I pick the wing coloring (often film) and she does the rest. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 03:36:22 PM »
Jerry.  Regardless what you might see at a contest, simple 2 or 3 color paint jobs are best.  There seems to be a trend to get as many different colors onto a plane as possible.  This only makes the judges dizzy, and makes other modelers wonder if you might just have too much time on your hands.

F.C.. 
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 05:08:36 PM »
Look through the R/C car ads (Tower hobby, Horizon Hobby, and other websites) to find color combinations that you like. Some of the R/C giant scale 3D websites also have planes with killer paint schemes...pretty good colors, but the graphics obviously translate easier to planes than do car graphics. Don't hesitate to use the graphics from the planes with the colors from the cars, but do keep visibility in mind. Where to find the url's? Model Aviation has them by the dozens, duh! But Google works, too.

I think there are probably some artists guidelines about color combinations beyond "complimentary colors" and the "color wheel" stuff. It seems to me that two warm colors adjoining is a bad thing. Separating two warm colors with a (cool) black, silver, grey or white stripe or swoosh would look a lot better, for instance. Similarly, if you're using cool colors, then a warm stripe or swoosh would probably look better. Like Floyd, I don't think there's a great need for using 6 colors on one plane. Some planes are so pretty (Tucker Special, as an example) that complex graphics and multiple colors is not going to improve a thing. And some are so ugly that complex graphics and 6 colors just don't make up for it...  R%%%% Steve
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 06:01:31 PM by Steve Helmick »
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 06:03:28 PM »
Lots of ideas to steal on the PAMPA site.......
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 07:01:42 PM »
Yea, I'm having the same problem at the moment. Decided I didn't like my first idea, the second one was derailed because I couldn't get the color I wanted, I'm working on a third idea, but it depends on how the covering comes out. I'll think of something.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 08:27:09 PM »
I had that problem awhile back. I painted my Magician cream, and then it sat for a year while I tried to dream up something different than I had done on the last 3. I started looking at pictures on Elwyn Auds inferalanding web site. I found a plane that was kind of Magician looking that I liked, and so I modified it a little and came up with a scheme that I really liked. I have trouble designing trim schemes, so I just steal them from people that know how, and then change them a little. When all else fails, you can go with some combination of cub yellow base, with red and black trim. That always works. I do not like masking, so I try to keep my trim simple. Oh! the plane I stole this from was Larry Oakleys Valdictorian.
Jim Kraft

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 10:57:23 PM »
Why can't I  come up with a color to paint my planes? I am up to four planes ready for paint now and cannot for the life of me, come up with a color to paint any of them. Am I that brain dead? It seems that I can't come up with a color, so I just start another one. I've got a Sig Twister, a RSM Thunderbird, a Sterling Skylark, a Goldberg Voodoo. Now I'm starting a Jetco Dolphin... This has got to stop!!!!!How does everyone else do this?
I know I'm not creative nor can I visualize anything, but this is getting ridiculous!!!!!

He Jerry,

Wow, this is an old one but I just saw it! LL~

Do you have a favorite color, or maybe two?  Use it/them.  make a sketch of the profile and wing lay outs, then use crayons/markers to try out schemes.

My favorite color is Carolina Blue, but a friend of mine only paints his planes light blue, and I don't want anyone to think that mine are his! LOL!!  Plus the color was a lot "prettier" on my football helmet than I think it looks on a plane, so move to plan B.  Ever since I started this hobby I thought C/L planes looked best painted Red.  So the vast majority of my planes over the years have been red. ;D  I use white, blue, yellow or black as trim.  Usually two trim colors and maybe outline them with black.  If it is an OTS, Classic, or Nostalgia 30 model, I will usually copy or come close to the original model.

The main thing is it's your model so make sure you please yourself! y1
Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 09:53:45 AM »
I can come up with colors. It's just figuring out how to get them that's driving me nuts.   ;D
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Alan Buck

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 10:08:18 AM »
and you can steal from other planes in old mags it is the easy way out
ALAN E BUCK

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 12:23:21 PM »
inspiration is EVERYWHERE - I am pretty well known around here for my colour schemes and in fact have designed quite a few other people - just look around - see what colours you like and play around with them.  I usually have a paint scheme picked out before I even start a plane - but that is just me.

here is an example of using what you see around you - was shaving one day and thought "that would look cool on a vector 40" so did it........

In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline John KruziK

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2011, 08:39:08 PM »
It seems i can only finish in red and black, red and blue, blue and yellow or orange.
AMA 874027

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 09:19:03 AM »
Me I go for simple paint schemes. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 07:13:42 PM »
I just keep copying paint schemes from other peoples' planes and getting pats on the back for it. Weird.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 08:52:58 AM »
Too many different colors in a paint scheme can make a plane look way too busy.  It is very difficult to make that work.  There are exceptions like the models of Phil Gandersom and Jim Aron.  Keep it simple and use only the base color and a couple of trim colors.  Look at pictures of other stunt planes and get some ideas.  I agree about looking at some of the RC pattern planes to get ideas and it is fairly easy to modify those schemes to our uses.  I am in the process of finishing my new ship for this year by doing just that.
Alan Resinger

John Leidle

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 09:05:51 AM »
   Alan,     is this a new plane or refinish of your Silver Gypsy? It looks terrific . What is the power supply?
                  John

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
John,
New model that I'll use for both Classic and PA this year.  Has a Stalker 61RE for power.  I've killed 2 birds with one stone.  Now McClave can't say my plane looks underpowered and Walker can't say my plane is too big.
Alan

John Leidle

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 07:16:20 PM »
  I cant imagine what plane of yours was underpowered? Walker thought "your" plane was too big?
       John

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 10:11:59 PM »
Stalker .61 in a classic plane ?

YOUR MAD..  >:D
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2011, 05:40:00 PM »
Funny, PJ. I happen to know Alan has a Stalker .81, so why didn't he use it in the Gypsy?  LL~ Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline 50+AirYears

• Commander
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2011, 11:10:04 PM »
I have a small collection of Aero Trader along with a few other aviation mags, civil and military.  I once painted a P-51 with a green and white pattern I got from an Air Progress article about unlimited racing.  In the Monokote section of the Tower Hobbies catalog, Top Flite has a color scheme suggestion guide available, TC 177, for about 3 bucks.  Once, I had an inspiration, and decorated a couple planes with a red and black thingie inspired by the Comet model company logo.
Just look around.
Tony

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2011, 10:34:29 AM »
Stalker .61 in a classic plane ?

YOUR MAD..  >:D

PJ, didn't you say you had a 60 in a Nobler? LL~ LL~ LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2011, 08:36:21 AM »
Stalker .61 actually.- But that's not the point!  ~>
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2011, 07:06:29 AM »
  Although I use 'cote one the wings this was a problem for me. Then I decided on 4 colors to use on planes. Red, yellow, blue and white. All I do is change them around from base to trim and you can get a complete different look. Sometimes I use 2 colors only, maybe only one if it is a plane that I take to the field for others to fly.
  If you take some pictures of your plane and load them in your computer, you can print them and and use markers/ crayons to color them. Do several different views.

Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here