News:

• April 30, 2024, 01:40:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: another question about film...  (Read 501 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
another question about film...
« on: August 16, 2012, 07:06:57 AM »
 :!     Guy's I am gonna use film covering for the first time and I'm thinking about S L C, any suggestions?
 I'm gonna use it on a foam wing that has the L/E, T/E and center section balsa covered, so will the heat gun cause problems melting the foam?      #^
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: another question about film...
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 07:20:56 AM »
Yes, a heat gun held too close for too long will definitley melt the foam. I have done this before! It can be done just be very careful, usually a covering iron on low to med heat is plenty to adhere,tighten or iron out wrinkles.
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: another question about film...
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 08:34:17 AM »
If using the SLC, read the instructions closely and then go back and reread.   I use a Monokote type iron to put the edges down.  Also I wipe the edges down with alcohol that the next peice will go over.   Once all edges are down, I then use the hot air gun.   Keep it moving so holes don't suddenly appear.   If they do its and easy fix using the scrap peices.  Make the patches oval or oblong. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here