News:

• May 12, 2024, 09:21:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Alternatives to spackling compound  (Read 5503 times)

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Alternatives to spackling compound
« on: February 03, 2013, 02:34:38 PM »
Problem: I am gluten intolerant, and spackling paste is commonly made with wheat.  Worse, if a product isn't intended as food, then the manufacturer doesn't have to put an ingredients list on it, so you can't tell for sure what does and does not have a specific ingredient.  (I could be wrong on this -- I realized as I wrote the above that I should check the MSDS for the product -- I think I'm gonna do that for a few spackling pastes.)

So the problem I have (which is common to a lot of fellow sufferers) is if you are truly gluten intolerant then it doesn't take much: just a crumb or two of real bread is enough to give me a reaction.  This means that without insane filtration, the amount of dust that you ingest while sanding spackle is more than enough to cause at least minor problems.

The best advise that I can get from the various Celiac web sites is to hire all of your drywall work done, and leave the house when it's being done.  Oh my.  I feel helped.

So I'm looking for suggestions for things to use.  Basically, is there a putty that I can use that is as compatible with balsa as spackling paste, and is as easy to use?  Better yet would be something that's as compatible with everything as spackling paste, but I promise not to hold out for that.  Failing something as good and as easy, can anyone suggest something that's as compatible but isn't too much harder?

If worse comes to worst I can probably get some SuperFil and use it for everything, but it seems like a dreadful amount of work to go through each time I look and say "oops, there's another ding".
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Alternatives to spackling compound
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 04:08:08 PM »

Tim, If it is just a ding in the raw balsa use water from an eye dropper, then pass an iron over it to steam and swell the balsa back up.
   Hope that this helps...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 04:31:35 PM »
Problem: I am gluten intolerant, and spackling paste is commonly made with wheat.  Worse, if a product isn't intended as food, then the manufacturer doesn't have to put an ingredients list on it, so you can't tell for sure what does and does not have a specific ingredient.  (I could be wrong on this -- I realized as I wrote the above that I should check the MSDS for the product -- I think I'm gonna do that for a few spackling pastes.)

So the problem I have (which is common to a lot of fellow sufferers) is if you are truly gluten intolerant then it doesn't take much: just a crumb or two of real bread is enough to give me a reaction.  This means that without insane filtration, the amount of dust that you ingest while sanding spackle is more than enough to cause at least minor problems.

The best advise that I can get from the various Celiac web sites is to hire all of your drywall work done, and leave the house when it's being done.  Oh my.  I feel helped.

So I'm looking for suggestions for things to use.  Basically, is there a putty that I can use that is as compatible with balsa as spackling paste, and is as easy to use?  Better yet would be something that's as compatible with everything as spackling paste, but I promise not to hold out for that.  Failing something as good and as easy, can anyone suggest something that's as compatible but isn't too much harder?

If worse comes to worst I can probably get some SuperFil and use it for everything, but it seems like a dreadful amount of work to go through each time I look and say "oops, there's another ding".
This is what I use http://aircraftproducts.wicksaircraft.com/item/aircraft-fillers/superfil-epoxy-filler/sefk-1?&plpver=10&origin=keyword&by=prod&filter=0

AMA 12366

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 04:44:59 PM »
This is what I use http://aircraftproducts.wicksaircraft.com/item/aircraft-fillers/superfil-epoxy-filler/sefk-1?&plpver=10&origin=keyword&by=prod&filter=0

Ditto!  Best stuff around.

And you CAN steam out small dents like Bootlegger said.  I lay a wet shop towel over the spot and hit it with the covering iron set on high.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 04:50:16 PM »
Gil:

Yes, I know of that trick, and use it.

Robert:

That would certainly solve the wheat problem (in fact, it was going to be my solution if I couldn't figure out anything else).  Is that what you use for everything?  In other words, are there no fillers in your shop other than SuperFil and sanding primer?

Thanks for the comments so far.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 05:40:36 PM »
Gil:

Yes, I know of that trick, and use it.

Robert:

That would certainly solve the wheat problem (in fact, it was going to be my solution if I couldn't figure out anything else).  Is that what you use for everything?  In other words, are there no fillers in your shop other than SuperFil and sanding primer?

Thanks for the comments so far.

OK small dents get fillled with carbon and dope. But yes this is all I use and the link is where to get it. Tell them you saw it here. Dope in all colors at best prices. Look at their catlog and see what other goodies you might use.
AMA 12366

larry borden

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 07:15:48 AM »
I use Dap Dry-dex from Home Depot or Lowes. It is tinted pink and when it drys turns white. I use it for all dings. Easy to use and sand and drys fairly  I use Super-fil for fillets.

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 04:27:06 PM »
Tim,

Here's what I've been using for the past few years.  Made by Elmers and available at all the "big box" stores in various types of packaging (tubes, tubs, etc.).  Make sure you get the "interior" formula (red label).  The "exterior" (green label) is too gritty and does not sand as smooth.  I find it easier to use than spackle.  Seems to adhere better and easier to feather the edges.

Paul
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 06:19:44 PM by Paul Wood »

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 05:34:47 PM »
For dents along with filling other imprefections, creases and spots missed when I do fillets (hey, it happens), I use a catalyzed glazing compound like Dolphin Glaze or Evercoat. It's a car product. I like it because it catalyzes in about 10 minutes, sands very easily (very easily), doesn't weigh much and doesn't shrink. And I've never had any adhesion problems with paint. Ever. Cool stuff.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 06:06:58 PM »
And I've never had any adhesion problems with paint. Ever. Cool stuff.

It sticking to paint, or paint sticking to it?
AMA 64232

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 06:57:56 PM »
Either way, though why you might was to stick it to paint is unclear.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 07:04:09 PM »
I was more concerned with how it sticks to primer.  I always seem to a number of dings after the first primer coat goes on.
AMA 64232

Offline Pat

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 02:52:56 PM »
Not that my word means much on this forum, but I agree with Randy. I have been using dolphin glaze for a couple years on all kinds of stuff. A bag of it will last foever, and it is self leveling. It is thin enough you ca brush it on if you need to cover a wide area.

Pat Maset

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 03:45:09 PM »
if you are using dope, or lacquer primer, you can use non-catalyzed lacquer glazing putty,, one tube lasts for ,, oh about 15 or 20 cars,, so thinking it might be forever on airplanes,, I would suggest the FIRST most important task is to minimize the dinks, gouges and screw-ups that you need to fill,, filler is always,, ALWAYS heavier than balsa, and generally harder,, so less desirable,,

in other words, ,naked balsa never touches anything hard sharp or pointed unless you intend it to,, so remove all those spare electronic whatzits from your bench,, the random car or truck parts,, and anyother thing that is not part of the plane you NEED to have on the bench,, then stay away from the lights when you swing the thing around,,

aside from that, superfill is the be all end all,,or if needed the dolphin glaze, ( i prefer evercoat myself)
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 04:26:07 PM »
in other words, ,naked balsa never touches anything hard sharp or pointed unless you intend it to,, so remove all those spare electronic whatzits from your bench,, the random car or truck parts,, and anyother thing that is not part of the plane you NEED to have on the bench,, then stay away from the lights when you swing the thing around,,

I already knew that.  Yet, I had to have it pointed out to me.  (Seriously -- my bench isn't as bad as you make it sound, but I'm not religious about keeping stuff from being dinged).
AMA 64232

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 04:44:38 PM »
I already knew that.  Yet, I had to have it pointed out to me.  (Seriously -- my bench isn't as bad as you make it sound, but I'm not religious about keeping stuff from being dinged).
Hey Tim,, wanna know how I know how important this is ? :)
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 04:45:57 PM »
Mark, I think I can figure it out.
AMA 64232

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 04:57:28 PM »
I don't like the non-catalyzed glazing compound because of shrinkage. The stuff will sink into a repair and show up after the plane is painted. I like the catalyzed stuff better because it sets and that's it.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 11:03:05 PM »
Randy, I agree, but when it comes to small very very shallow stuff that some people would brush another coat of primer on,, I actually would prefer a tiny thin dab of lacquer glaze,, in SOME cases, the catalyzed stuff is pretty hard and wont sand welll

I cannot beleive that I am advocating use of an air dry product,, sigh,, but there you go,, air dry over air dry,,

Tim,, I have gotten pretty good at steaming dents out of my balsa,, just for the record,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here