News:

• May 09, 2024, 02:12:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Allen Brickhaus Finishing method  (Read 5014 times)

Offline Motorman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Allen Brickhaus Finishing method
« on: November 01, 2015, 06:26:19 PM »
Been searching for but can't seem to find the Allen Brickhaus finishing method I keep hearing about, can anybody search better than me?

Thanks,
MM

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Allen Brickhaus Finishing method
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 08:56:21 PM »
Ah Grasshopper, it is not a lack of Google-Fu that is causing you difficulty on this day.  Rather, it is a lack of deep knowledge.

He published the whole story in Flying Models a while back, in an "Olympus" article.  So searching on those terms gets you lots of useful threads.

I don't know if it's possible to link to a search, so here's what you need to type in:
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 09:23:57 PM »
That returned one result which was this thread.

MM

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 10:20:32 PM »
The search function in this forum only works on the threads that are "under" it -- so if you're in a thread that's all you see, if you're in "builder's forum" that's all you see, etc. -- so you need to be at http://stunthanger.com/ when you do the search.

I got a whole bunch of threads, about half of which went into detail on the method.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline John Eyer

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 10:41:44 AM »
PER ALAN:

>So many people have found that dope is NOT the best underbase
>for Rustoleum or X-O-Rust. The constant gassing off of the
>dope softens the upper paint and that is why it stinks for
>some people for a long time.
>
>I never use dope for the base.
>
>Use Z-Poxy or Polycrylic as the base.
>
>Use white water based spackling compound thinned to the
>consistency of pancake batter over the base.
>
>Sand and add fillets of an epoxy based material.
>
>Fillets do not lift with this method.
>
>You can paint in high humidity day-time hours.
>
>Mask off the film you placed on all flying surfaces.
>
>Spray with Rustoleum or X-O-Rust white metal primer.
>
>Fill any dings with full strength spackling compound.
>
>Resand and reprimer only were needed.
>
>Remask film and paint line.
>
>Spray your final choice of Rustoleum or X-O-Rust on the
>fuse/rudder.
>
>All metallics and the clear are not fuel proof.
>
>Check out Michael Griffin's new F-94C. Used this method.

RUSTOLEUM MUST BE REPAINTED WITHIN 10 MINUTES OR AFTER 24 HOURS. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RESPRAY BETWEEN THOSE TIMES, THE PAINT WILL ORANGE PEEL BADLY.
>
>

Allen Brickhaus

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 10:56:06 AM »
RUSTOLEUM MUST BE REPAINTED WITHIN 10 MINUTES OR AFTER 24 HOURS. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RESPRAY BETWEEN THOSE TIMES, THE PAINT WILL ORANGE PEEL BADLY.

Moreover, Rustoleum (and probably X-O Rust) gets Rustoleum proof at about the same speed that it gets fuel proof -- all of my Rustoleum-painted planes but one were painted over the space of a couple of days, with the trim colors masked and sprayed one to three days after the base coat was painted.  The finish on those planes has stood the test of time.  One plane, however, waited two weeks for one of the trim colors -- and that paint has adhesion problems.  So if you let the base dry for over three days I'd suggest scuffing it with steel wool* the same as you would 'coat.

* Brass wool would be better, as it would be less likely to leave rust spots later.
AMA 64232

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 03:18:42 PM »
Thanks John, found this too. http://www.tulsacl.com/Finishing.html

I guess the spackling compound is used to fill and level? What else can you paint over spackling compound? I see stuff that's pink but turns white is that water based or is anything that doesn't say vinyl water based?

MM

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 03:42:22 PM »
Thanks John, found this too. http://www.tulsacl.com/Finishing.html

I guess the spackling compound is used to fill and level? What else can you paint over spackling compound? I see stuff that's pink but turns white is that water based or is anything that doesn't say vinyl water based?

Yes, the spackling is used to fill and level.  I use Polycrylic mixed with baby powder, but that's because I started using it before I read Allen's article.

AFAIK the vinyl stuff is water-based, too.
AMA 64232

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 02:21:24 PM »
I don't want to be disrespectful to the memory of Allen Brickhaus but he never claimed to have invented the water based finish that he used. Rustoleum finishes were used in the early 80's for sure in R/C but was generally used for sport purpose models.
Not a good idea to put Rustoleum over dope ever unless you have a primer base over the dope. Dope can prevent the Rustoleum from ever completely drying for an incredibly long time ( like perhaps forever) if you do not use primer.
I use 1/2 oz cloth applied with water base urethane. Two coats of primer well sanded and you are ready for paint. You can actually have a glass like finish for awhile but Rustoleum while fuel proof will fade or dull unless you treat it as well as you do a good dope finish. Clean and polish regularly.

Dennis

Offline big ron

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 09:04:34 PM »
Is there somewhere online that has the full finishing article that was in flying models?
John Blanchard
Brusly, Louisiana
 AMA 1054488

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 11:47:03 PM »
I would like to read the Flying Models article sometime, as I'm sure Allen did a nice job explaining his full process.   
These links from the other forum give a good glimpse of his methods.

Here is the build of the Olympus which details Allen's finishing process.
  - http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=295774&sub_topic_id=295846&mesg_id=&page=
  - http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=322771&mesg_id=322771&listing_type=search

This link shows Allen's paint process on a very nice Oriental :
  - http://clstunt.com/htdocs/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=370907&mesg_id=370907&page=17&topic_page=1
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 01:08:37 AM by Brent Williams »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Richard Logston

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 06:53:55 PM »
I have finished 5 or six airplanes lately using rust and Ultracote. It is fast economical and durable. Don't allow fuel on it at least for couple weeks. Here is a Smoothie I did 2yrs ago. Did a Doplhin, 38 Special this year with Rust.  Richard358430

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 08:33:04 PM »
Here it is.

I will use MinWax Polycrylic clear and 1/2 ounce fiberglass cloth for a base coat. More Polycrylic and Randy Smith's zinc sterate filler will fill more of the base. Then I will use a light weight epoxy mixture for the fillets. Then I will add a brushed on coat of water based spackling thinned with water to the consistency of pancake batter. This will be sanded off and a light spray coat of X-O-Rust white metal primer will be sprayed on. This will be sanded and a one last coat of the same primer. Then I will mask off the final fuselage and spray a layer of the paint I am going to use.

MM

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here