News:

• May 08, 2024, 12:56:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Air Compressors and Detail Guns  (Read 1268 times)

Mike Griffin

• Trade Count: (0)
Air Compressors and Detail Guns
« on: July 24, 2011, 05:29:04 PM »
I am in the market to buy a detail gun and air compressor for painting my planes.  Was just curious as to what everybody was using.  I am thinking about a 10 gallon upright portable type compressor but have not decided on the detail gun yet.

What have you all found that works good for you.

Mike

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Air Compressors and Detail Guns
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 06:04:27 PM »
I got my detail guns from Harbor Frieght, I caught it on sale between 10.00-15.00 bucks each so I bought 3. Have only used the one but I really like it.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 01:21:37 PM »
I just replaced a 25 gallon horizontal/portable compressor that I had been using for about 20 years.  I got a 33 gallon upright from Craftsman (on sale now).  It should do the job for me and has two outlets! LOL!!  I also use air ratchets, etc., so I wanted one with more capacity.  It does take 10 minutes to completely fill from completely drained.  Add a water trap on your paint line!

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline GEOFFREY

• Commander
  • Northwest Fireballs
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 11:23:48 AM »
      I did what Leester did bouht one for clear another for colors and one for backup.. with there sales and the 20% off  they are cheaper than a galloin of thinner .... i bought the low presure models. 35#  and 20 gal. compresser works well for me
GEOFFREY L CHRISTIANSON  AMA 824607             DELTA PARK Portland Or.

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 05:57:41 PM »
I would go with (cause I have one)a Sears Pro model that is a 25 gallon. I wouldn't get an 'oil-less' model, they make
way to much noise and don't last very long. Very srongly recommend getting one with an external electric motor that drives a belt to turn compressor....much quieter and more powerful. JMHO
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 09:31:21 AM »
I bought my compressor from Harbor Freight. So far, it works pretty well (upright 33 gallon job). I've used one of those Central Pneumatic jobs a couple of times. I have the full sized model to shoot primer. I don't think much of them for actually shooting paint, but to each his own.

Mike, do a search on spray guns here and you see multiple arguments on why buying a decent gun is a good idea.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 12:58:41 PM »
I bought my compressor from Harbor Freight. So far, it works pretty well (upright 33 gallon job). I've used one of those Central Pneumatic jobs a couple of times. I have the full sized model to shoot primer. I don't think much of them for actually shooting paint, but to each his own.

Mike, do a search on spray guns here and you see multiple arguments on why buying a decent gun is a good idea.

HI Mike,

I do agree with Randy on getting the best you can afford.  The "lifetime" of the gun actually working as it should will be pretty much proportionate to the amount of money spent

While you can get away with the cheaper guns, if you want to have a gun that will "last" then get a "good" one..

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Dave Lajb

• New Pilot
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 12:06:41 PM »
I used one of those Habor Frieght guns with Klass Kote Epoxy paint and I have to tell you for someone that doesn't know squat about painting I sure happy with the results. 

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 02:37:14 PM »
DAve,

I use 3 guns. I have the primer gun I mentioned. It's a POS but works for primer pretty well. I've never seen any sense in spending a ton of money on a primer gun. I have a Finex 1000 touchup gun for colors. It's a decent gun for the price (under a hundred bucks). It is pretty consistent and you don't have to mess with it all the time to get it to work properly. Moreover, it's easy to clean. A real plus. I use a SATA Mini-Jet for clear. It's a very nice but pricey gun. Between 3 and 4 hundred retail (I didn't pay that much). It will last the rest of my life. It's absurdly easy to use and very, very predictable. Very nice atomization, too. Good flow out when adjusted correctly for air flow and fluid density. Nice gun.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 05:03:22 PM »
as Randy says,, the Sata Minijet is a fantastic peice,,

In fact, typically when I shoot clear with mine, I can lay down ONE coat and not need to polish, IOW no orange peal,, no texture,, just shiney clear gloss
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 07:16:07 PM »
As mentioned before, no matter what gun you use, cleaning it properly after each use is an absolute must!
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline BrianW517

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2011, 10:00:50 PM »
  H^^ I bought one at harbor freight also,  #^ and it has worked great!  y1 Just make sure you take it apart, after being used, S?P and clean it up completely. n~ The sprayer works great, even after being put away for a month, after it had a thorough cleaning.  D>K  H^^

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here