News:

• May 19, 2024, 04:57:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Air Brush painting  (Read 786 times)

Offline Sonny Williams

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
  • Control line builder and flyer since 1946.
Air Brush painting
« on: February 01, 2012, 08:52:20 AM »
I have been using a single action siphon air brush for model detail and not getting some of the finer results that I would like. Would like suggestions and/or experience with double action top feed air brush or a specific air brush recommendation

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Air Brush painting
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 09:31:19 AM »
Depends on why you are unhappy. What are the specific problems you are experiencing? What are you trying to achieve?
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Sonny Williams

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 09:46:16 AM »
Trying to use air brush for two things. First, for striping and secondly for feathering paint. My single action spray just will not feather the paint no matter how much I thin it. It is a very inexpensive gun and I am of the opinion that a two action spray would possibly do a better job. Would like someone's opinion and/or experience.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 03:14:59 PM »
Well, like any spray equipment, you can spend as much as you want. I've had very good luck getting good quality equipment as it tends to take less fiddling with to get to work and tends to work over a much longer period of time. If you have a ton of money to spend, get an Iwata or DeVilbiss brush. I wish I could afford one. I have a decent, dual action, gravity feed Paasche brush that I use a lot. It has three different needles and tips and work pretty well for me, but I'm no artist. For freehand airbrush work, you may want to go with a higher quality unit.

Maybe Don Shultz or Mark Scarborough or Howard Rush will comment. They all have extensive experience with pretty high quality, dual action brushes.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 04:42:09 PM »
Sonny,

There's tons of choices in airbrushes.

I personally prefer the Iwata and have had great results with them over many years. The one I favor now I've had forever.

Couple of years ago I gave a new Thayer Chandler to a CL guy. I don't remember who? Someone who was nice.  ;D

Paashe, Badger there's plenty others. They all blow air and paint,  n~, they just look a tad different and I'm sure prices have changed.

There's plenty of books that will teach basics and sometimes even the tricks. There's an Airbrush magazine you can subscribe to also. If you like I can see if I have some hanging around. They will be old.

Cleaning your airbrush is as important as the paint must be strained.

Gravity feed is great, but bottom bottles still do the trick, especially for the long haul in backgrounds.

I would never use my Iwata to do a background or large area. It'll run out of paint!

There are great tips on line and awhile back, I posted a website that caters to the paint detail/artist people.

They have everything. Here's the link again.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/

I also offer "masks" for modelers who do paint work. I'm in the Vendors corner.

I'll answer all questions and help.

Good luck!

A-Jet
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Sonny Williams

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 05:11:56 PM »
Guys, Thanks much for the response. I use a spray for all my KlassCoat finishes (probably 15 or more)  so very familiar with spraying techniques, but needed the info you shared about brands of air brushes. With my present setup I have not been able to ghost and feather. Thanks again. 

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 05:18:45 PM »
Hi Brother Sonny,

Believe it or not, I have ben using an airbrush since the mid '60s.  I have a few, and have had a few others, plus used a LOT of different ones.

I believe a Badger Anthem is a very good dual action for not too much money.  Tips and nozzles will make a difference.  

Iwata makes a multi-multi hundreds of dollar one which will draw a line thinner than a human hair, but you don't need that.  (and I can't afford one! LOL!!)

Passhe is also good bang for the buck in the dual action realm.

I have a Thayer top line airbrush that I am still waiting to use. ;D

Call me if you need to.
Bill

EDIT:  I forgot to add that I can fog and fade with a single action Badger that's well over 40 years old...........
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Sonny Williams

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 06:33:40 PM »
Thanks Bro Bear.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here