News:

• May 08, 2024, 02:58:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Aero Gloss Dope  (Read 6034 times)

Offline John Desrosiers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Aero Gloss Dope
« on: April 05, 2012, 10:55:57 AM »
I need all the info I can get before I use it. The wings  will be covered with ultracoat. aerogloss  on everything else.

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Aero Gloss Dope
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 06:57:52 PM »
It's not compatible with any other dope, so be careful. I don't think the colors cover very good either. That's about all I know about Aerogloss.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 10:57:15 PM »
You can put other dope over Aero Gloss. 

The last time I freeloaded at Gordan Delaney's house, one of the terms of my staying there was that I take a bunch of cans of Aero Gloss with me.  Anybody want any free Aero Gloss?  There's no clear, only colors.  I won't ship it, but I'll deliver it to you at a contest if there's room in the car.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 10:59:16 PM »
My first experience with Aerogloss was as an 11 yr. old kid in 1971. Slopping Cub Yellow on a Scientific 1/2A Cessna. Didn't cover the gobs of Testors cement very well. I distinctly remember endless multiple coats. Cox fuel made it gooey in short order. :P
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 05:32:37 AM »
          The white cracks and alligators tremendously. Ken

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 05:24:11 PM »
John,
What the heck is with all you guys wanting to use Aero Gloss dope?  Back in the 50's and 60's, Aero Gloss was the dope of choice for most stunt flyers.  Sometime in the mid 60's the formulation or the manufacturer changed the formulation and ruined a really good product.  I remember finishing an Ares that I built in 1964 and having the finish crack like the bottom of dried up river bed in a drought.  
There are all sorts of paints available for use these days which include Sig, Brodak and Randolph aircraft dopes.  Why would you want to take a chance on ruining a models finish by using a product that is really not suitable.  I'm sure that some have gotten away with it but I sure wouldn't take a chance.  I'd much rather pay a few dollars more, if that is the motive, to save a lot of grief.
Alan Resinger
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 08:33:24 PM by Alan Resinger »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 11:12:50 AM »
Yeah those jars were great for paints, parts and storage of other stuff.  Now I look for canning jars that have the replaceable lids .  H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 02:35:49 PM »
Here's a tip Doc: If they are the canning jars with the two part lid, flip the center part over so the rubber gasket surface is against the screw part of the lid rather than the jar. That way the rubber will not react to the paint and deteriorate. It will still seal well that way. Aero Gloss dope?...the new forumula is not very good but back in the day it was the only dope I could brush on and get a decent finish. Today, stick with Brodak or Sig...(or Randolph's). 8)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 09:55:58 PM by Pete Cunha »
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 05:29:00 PM »
          The white cracks and alligators tremendously. Ken

I agree on that. I had a lot left over from the good old days. and used it on a new plane back in1983 .Three months later it looked like a dried up lake bottom. ~^
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 06:40:54 PM »
Aero Gloss detractors are probably speaking of the re-formulated product.  At one time (early '50s to early '60s), Aero Gloss was excellent stuff....especially the Clear.  When the EPA, or whomever, became involved, the product went rapidly down the tubes.

Again, harking back to the early '50s, a much superior product (IMHO) was Testors STA, which featured better coverage with less coats, was reasonably fuel-resistant, and smelled a whole lot nicer.  Around the same time, Testors also marketed a product named HEP - supposedly fuelproof but for whatever reason wasn't on the market too long.  I never tried it.  Can't say enough good things, though, about the dearly departed Testors STA.  Probably not too many on this forum remember it.  Wish it was still available.

(Just the ramblings of an old fahrt who no longer flies.)   H^^
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 10:26:46 AM »
Painted many a plane with it in the later 50's and 60's.  It was when K&B Epoxy came on the market I started using less dope.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 02:33:33 PM »
Aero Gloss detractors are probably speaking of the re-formulated product.  At one time (early '50s to early '60s), Aero Gloss was excellent stuff....especially the Clear.  When the EPA, or whomever, became involved, the product went rapidly down the tubes.

Again, harking back to the early '50s, a much superior product (IMHO) was Testors STA, which featured better coverage with less coats, was reasonably fuel-resistant, and smelled a whole lot nicer.  Around the same time, Testors also marketed a product named HEP - supposedly fuelproof but for whatever reason wasn't on the market too long.  I never tried it.  Can't say enough good things, though, about the dearly departed Testors STA.  Probably not too many on this forum remember it.  Wish it was still available.

(Just the ramblings of an old fahrt who no longer flies.)   H^^

Hi Uncle Mikey,

I remember the Testors STA dope.  I liked it a lot better than Aero Gloss.  For a while Aero Gloss was all that I could get and I hated that it was not compatible with anything else.  Then my local "supplier" closed down and I found Randolph's at the local airport.  I stayed with that until Sig became available locally.  Now I use Sig and mail order Randolphs from Aircraft Spruce.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 04:47:07 PM »
Painted many a plane with it in the later 50's and 60's. H^^

John,

Late 50's and 60's. I guess you and me both. Those were grand old days and the modelers were much much different.

Can't bring them back, but we can still keep the same attitude and ways of those back then who were our peers. Great bunch of guys and great times.

It's a shame that there's some that have not experienced those times.

Starting out in CL today is a world of differences.

Sure wish I could go back in time.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 07:13:13 PM »
Sure wish I could go back in age.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 02:16:06 PM »
I wouldn't mind going back to the health I had back then.  But, with what I know now, I would not go back in age. n~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2012, 07:16:24 PM »
I wouldn't mind going back to the health I had back then.  But, with what I know now, I would not go back in age. n~

Hi Doc,

The "health" issue is what I was aiming at.  Everything was just that much easier when I was in my 20's!  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here