News:

• May 18, 2024, 08:50:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Aero 1 S.Z.S Filler Powder Sanding Pronblem  (Read 1398 times)

Offline Joe Rice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Aero 1 S.Z.S Filler Powder Sanding Pronblem
« on: June 09, 2013, 06:17:31 AM »
I mixed Randy's Aero 1 filler with Randolph non-tautening nitrate dope per instructions and it is not sanding very well.  It is loading the sandpaper quicky (Norton 3X 320 grit)  I finally had some success with Norton No-FIl Adalox paper in 220 grit that I have use in auto finishing.  However, it is a bit too aggressive and still struggles a bit with initial cut.  I applied two brushed coats a day apart and allowed a day before sanding.  Please share your experience with this product. 

Joe
Joe Rice
AMA 740106

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
Re: Aero 1 S.Z.S Filler Powder Sanding Pronblem
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 04:44:16 AM »
Maybe a little more drying time is needed and when the sandpaper gets clogged up bang it out on something hard and continue.

Derek

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 06:42:05 AM »
Maybe a little more drying time is needed and when the sandpaper gets clogged up bang it out on something hard and continue.

Derek

I keep a small brush or whisk broom handy and constantly brush off my paper as well.  You don't want little buildup bumps on the paper to dent the surface.
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 07:40:18 PM »
I mixed Randy's Aero 1 filler with Randolph non-tautening nitrate dope per instructions and it is not sanding very well.  It is loading the sandpaper quicky (Norton 3X 320 grit)  I finally had some success with Norton No-FIl Adalox paper in 220 grit that I have use in auto finishing.  However, it is a bit too aggressive and still struggles a bit with initial cut.  I applied two brushed coats a day apart and allowed a day before sanding.  Please share your experience with this product. 

Joe

Hi Joe

Has nothing to do with the filler, if it is still rubbery dope will not sand well and needs more drying time, this has always been a problem, I use the gold 3M 400 grit sandpaper when I sand the ZS filler, it just powders off and sand very easy, If I do   not  wait untill the dope is dry, it will not sand well, clog the paper and clump.

so as stated  earlier let it dry a little longer.

Randy

Offline Joe Rice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 08:00:21 AM »
OK... The extra two days of drying time worked.  The Aero 1 filler / dope mixture  sanded nicely with the same 320 grit 3M sandpaper that loaded on me previously.  Thanks to all for your input  H^^

Joe

Joe Rice
AMA 740106

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 09:47:05 AM »
I've seen this a lot. I use 3M Sandblaster paper (probably the same as Randy Smith's "gold" paper). It loads, you flick it with your finger and everything falls off and you keep going.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Eric Viglione

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 07:44:08 PM »
I knock or blow off whatever is loose off first, then I swipe my paper across a paper cleaner block. You all do have one right? It looks like a 2" square by foot long block of crape rubber. You can buy them at wood working stores, and I've even seen them at harbor freight.

They are good for knocking off build up and even the hard clogs that can build up on your paper. It works even better if you give your paper an occasional swipe across it BEFORE it builds up to one of those hard clogs.

Pays for itself really fast in extending paper life!!!! I've used them since my cabinet shop days many moons ago in another life, and I was recently surprised to find some modelers had never heard of them.

Hope this helps,
EricV

Here ya go, found one my first try.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2000271/8/abrasive-belt-cleaner-2-x-2-x-12.aspx

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 10:08:39 AM »
I knock or blow off whatever is loose off first, then I swipe my paper across a paper cleaner block. You all do have one right? It looks like a 2" square by foot long block of crape rubber. You can buy them at wood working stores, and I've even seen them at harbor freight.

They are good for knocking off build up and even the hard clogs that can build up on your paper. It works even better if you give your paper an occasional swipe across it BEFORE it builds up to one of those hard clogs.

Pays for itself really fast in extending paper life!!!! I've used them since my cabinet shop days many moons ago in another life, and I was recently surprised to find some modelers had never heard of them.

Hope this helps,
EricV

Here ya go, found one my first try.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2000271/8/abrasive-belt-cleaner-2-x-2-x-12.aspx

My shop will be getting one of these!
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Steve Kocher

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 10:58:32 AM »
Me too!  Eric, thanks for the tip.
Steve Kocher
AMA 388654

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 08:41:21 PM »
Now that's a cool idea. Thanks, Eric.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 05:46:24 PM »
Great Tip Eric  , I use one of these, they are really  good for Dremel and my Delta Belt sander

I will point out that you will not need this for  sanding Aero-1 Filler unless you are sanding it when it is not quite dry

The Aero ZS filler  will not pile and clog.

Regards
Randy

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 09:23:27 AM »
Joe,
You didn't indicate how you prepared the nitrate clear. I have found that if you use clear straight out of the can it can go on thick and take several days to gas off and dry enough to sand properly. If you add 30% reducer (thinner) it goes on thinner, the filler will still fill well and it dries much quicker.

Best,          DennisT

Offline Joe Rice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 06:13:06 AM »
Joe,
You didn't indicate how you prepared the nitrate clear. I have found that if you use clear straight out of the can it can go on thick and take several days to gas off and dry enough to sand properly. If you add 30% reducer (thinner) it goes on thinner, the filler will still fill well and it dries much quicker.

Best,          DennisT

Dennis... it is thinned with same brand reducer.  I am having no problems after allowing appropriate drying time.

Joe
Joe Rice
AMA 740106

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here