News:

• May 08, 2024, 09:49:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Acrylic Urethane over DC540?  (Read 1074 times)

Rick_Huff

• Trade Count: (0)
Acrylic Urethane over DC540?
« on: March 15, 2014, 09:09:52 AM »
Has anyone used an acrylic urethane paint over DC540 primer?  Most of the auto paint guys think its a bad idea, but some said is was ok.  Anyone have any experience?
Rick

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Acrylic Urethane over DC540?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 10:11:12 AM »
Has anyone used an acrylic urethane paint over DC540 primer?  Most of the auto paint guys think its a bad idea, but some said is was ok.  Anyone have any experience?
Rick

Rick,

Ya never know, but I don't believe it will be an issue.

I'd make up a story board of different primers and paints you will elect to be using.

I'm in the process of doing this as I speak.

Masking tape test also.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Rick_Huff

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 10:54:10 AM »
Thanks for the response, Charles.  The DC540 is, in most places on the plane, just a dust coating, so I'm hopeful it will work.  It'll be a while before it warms up enough to spray.  I'll let you know how it turns out,
Rick

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 11:12:57 AM »
Thanks for the response, Charles.  The DC540 is, in most places on the plane, just a dust coating, so I'm hopeful it will work.  It'll be a while before it warms up enough to spray.  I'll let you know how it turns out,
Rick

Rick,

I would still do a test area on any material.

Your spraying base color?

Did you do the masking tape test on what you have already applied on the model?

Charles
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Rick_Huff

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 11:29:59 AM »
The base color is orange and I have used the blue 3m vinyl tape on the primed plane with no problems.  It's too cold here to spray, but could I brush some of the base/solvent onto a primed surface and have it tell me anything?
Rick

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 11:51:00 AM »
The base color is orange and I have used the blue 3m vinyl tape on the primed plane with no problems.  It's too cold here to spray, but could I brush some of the base/solvent onto a primed surface and have it tell me anything?
Rick

Rick,

Your wording? I'm not being pickie, but it reads like you applied your blue 3M tape on primer? On the orange?

Brush your color on a story board. It either has a reaction or it doesn't. When thoroughly dry, apply wide masking tape and give it a yank.

Got nothing to loose, it's just a story board.

I'm testing each and every chemical I'm using in the finishing process on this nameless. Last thing I need to do is remove paint with the removal of tape.

Charles

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 12:21:53 PM »
DC540 has worked on every paint I have used. Urethane and dope plus acrylic lacquer .
AMA 12366

Rick_Huff

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 12:34:32 PM »
Charles,
I applied the tape to the primer in order to mask the area for the canopy.  I used black lacquer, and there was no issue when I removed the tape.  I'll mask the edge of the canopy when I spray on the orange.  I am now thinking that I should not have used lacquer for the canopy, as the urethane clear coat may not like it.  I have some black acrylic enamel (with a hardener) that I know would be compatable that I should have used.  I guess I'll sand off the lacquer, just to be sure.
Rick

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 01:17:35 PM »
Rick,

Before I sand off that lacquer, do a test. You might not have to.

That DC 540, which Robert introduced, "Robert's 540," is great stuff.

Your black canopy.

I have a canopy to paint and was considering black. I'm rethinking that. I don't know how I'll finish the canopy, but it won't be black.

Also, I really don't want to start up my compressor. I'm going rattle can on this test finish.

Be nice to get a list of "usesables/brands" on that rattle can thing. That is, rattle can paint that can be cleared with a two part urethane auto paint, plus be sprayed over each other.

Charles

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 08:04:16 PM »
I believe the only thing urethanes don't like is latex. The urethane won't fully harden. My brother put clear urethane on an oak toilet seat...that was apparently stained with latex stain. Ooopsy! No, I don't think he got to the point of sitting on it.  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here