News:

• May 02, 2024, 06:15:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ace Hardware Paint is Fuel Proof  (Read 3291 times)

Offline Jerry Reider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Ace Hardware Paint is Fuel Proof
« on: February 10, 2009, 08:41:59 PM »
Well, I finally got to fly the Sig Super Chipmunk that I built over the winter.  Flew nice for a first flight.  I have to adjust the CG (a bit nose heavy as I suspected), and I'll go from there.  I had posted about the Ace Hardware Paint being fuel proof but that post was lost when the board crashed.  To update anyone who was wondering what the outcome of that was.  It is.  I found no signs of the fuel affecting the finish of the paint at all.  The fuselage and tail surfaces are paint and the wings are Monokote.  I mixed the blue paint on the fuselage to match the blue Ultracoat trim on the wings.  The red trim is metallic Monokote on the wings fuse and tail surfaces.  It has an OS Max LA40 on it and that pulls it nicely.
Jerry

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Ace Hardware Paint is Fuel Proof
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 06:49:36 PM »
I love Chipmunks and yours is a real beauty. But I'm a little sceptical about that Ace brand paint. I have only used it once (black) and it wasn't long before 10% fuel started to eat it. Just be careful to clean your 'Chip real well after each flight.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Jerry Reider

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 07:23:28 PM »
I love Chipmunks and yours is a real beauty. But I'm a little sceptical about that Ace brand paint. I have only used it once (black) and it wasn't long before 10% fuel started to eat it. Just be careful to clean your 'Chip real well after each flight.

Thanks, yeah it turned out pretty nice.  The picture does it justice too though.  I put two coats of wax on it after the paint cured and I'll clean it down with Windex after each session.  Hopefully that will make it last.  Generally my stuff meets the asphalt before it gets a chance to get real old anyway so maybe the paint will last for the life of the plane.  Seriously, I'll go easy on the Chipmunk, I spent a lot of time on it and I'd like to keep it around for a while.  I have a Shoestring that I bought at a sale for $9.00 that takes the bulk of my aggression.  I put my 35 year old Fox 35 on it that still runs like a champ.  My first plane was a Ringmaster which had the Fox 35 on it.  At that time we always flew over grass.  I can't tell you how many times I dug dirt out of the venturi of that Fox and bent the landing gear back to continue flying.  I found that you can stuff a plane many times over grass and still glue it back together.  I fixed that Ringmaster so many times until finally became too heavy to fly.  I literally wore that Ringmaster out with the Fox.  I guess that's the kind of stuff you do when you're a kid.

Speaking of using different finishes on planes, the Shoestring was already built when I bought it.  All I had to do was remove the tissue paper from the wings, Monokote it and add the engine, tank and landing gear.  This plane was finished with polyurethane when I got it and you wouldn't beleive the strength that adds to the balsa.  You'd think this thing was made out of maple, the surface of the balsa feels so hard.  Also it makes the balsa extremely strong.  You can barely flex the tail surfaces.  It looks like the builder of this polyed the whole plane even before covering the wings with tissue paper.  I've had it into the asphalt twice and got away with really minor repairs.  Neither of the crashes were real hard but any of my other planes would have suffered much greater damage.  I've flown this plane hard most of last year.  And no it's not heavy.  Yes it's ugly.  Ugly planes live forever.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 12:39:19 AM by Jerry Reider »
Jerry

Offline Bryan Higgins

• Commander
  • Arvada Associated Modelers Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 10:06:10 PM »
WOW Nice work Jerry, Your chipmunk looks real good. Now i want to build one. %^@
Bryan R higgins Jr.
Arvada,Colorado
AMA#885188

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 08:52:06 AM »
Isn't the ACE Paint made by the same people that do Rustoleum?  Your Chipmunk looks great.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 09:40:21 AM »
Rust-OLeum packages paint for a number or chain stores, I have found that if you read the label, usually way down at the bottom the stuff from Rust-OLeum says either manufactured or packaged by "ROC." which is the  Rust-Oleum Corporation. Americas Finest, Painters Choice. and Quick Color are 3 that I know of for sure, and I have used them on profile fuselages and balsa surfaces. They seem fuel proof- but then most of my planes get more dust on them than fuel residue.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Jerry Reider

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 12:37:54 PM »
I just painted a plane that I put together from a junk fuselage and extra wing.  I brush painted the fuselage with Rustoleum black last night and Monokoted the wing today.  The Rustoleum is better than the ACE paint.  It dried faster and even for a brush job the finish looks good with only 2 coats.  I wasn't going for looks on this one just a throw together flier.  The fuse and wing were laying around, I don't have a clue what either is from, so I figured I'd splice them together.  I guess it will fly okay.  The engine is on the C/L of the wing and the stabilizer is about 1" above the C/L of the wing.  It's got a 40" wingspan and feels real light.  My Enya 29IV-B is gonna pull this thing around real fast.  Hi-Speed stunt here I come.
Jerry

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 07:29:01 PM »
My first couple of tries with black Rustoleum for fuel proofing didn't go so well on my 1/2a's, maybe i didn't do something right! Especially around the engine area that gets a lot of spillage. Could have been the high nitro fuel. Let me know how this works out for you as i really like the color on planes and could use it on some of my future "less" nitro fueled planes.    Thanks,, Ray
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Jerry Reider

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 04:08:49 AM »
My first couple of tries with black Rustoleum for fuel proofing didn't go so well on my 1/2a's, maybe i didn't do something right! Especially around the engine area that gets a lot of spillage. Could have been the high nitro fuel. Let me know how this works out for you as i really like the color on planes and could use it on some of my future "less" nitro fueled planes.    Thanks,, Ray

I've found that Indian Head Gasket Shellac is very fuel proof.  It only takes one coat and dries to a very hard surface overnight.  It's cheap and you can get it in any auto parts store. I may put a coat of that on the engine compartment.
Jerry

Offline Jerry Reider

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 11:50:45 PM »
I opted for my Enya 35III when I mounted the engine.  More is better.  Besides that the 35 is almost new and I really haven't broken it in completely yet.  (Enya's take forever to break in)  I want to see how the 35 does compared to the Enya 29IV.  I found the 29 a bit finicky during stunts.  It has shut off more than once while stunting.  It cost me a couple crashes with my Flite Streak from shutting off.  I'm told the Enya 35 is a better stunt engine.  Actually, I prefer OS Max's.
Jerry

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 05:58:17 PM »

A final coat of Minwax Polyurethane varnish is very fuel proof - and shiny too.  I have found that my Rustoleum finishes will soften with fuel and if I wipe hard enough, my rag will turn whatever color the Rustoleum is.  So I always finish with a coat of varnish which is very fuel proof up to at least 35%.  Available in satin or gloss, too.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Jerry Reider

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 08:46:08 PM »
The Super Chipmunk has a season of flights on it now and the Ace Hardware paint still looks good.  No softening or peeling.
Jerry

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 08:57:42 AM »
Jerry with a season of flying on the Chip now, how do you like it? Does it do a nice pattern? I've always loved the looks of the plane and might put it on my build list.

Brian
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Jerry Reider

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 10:12:30 AM »
The Chipmunk flies great but I haven't been satisfied with the results of the OS LA 40.  Seems like I may have a tank height issue so I've been a little afraid to push the limits with it.  It goes rich around 6 o'clock on the outside loop of horizontal eights and it's rich during inverted  flight.  I have a 4oz. Sullivan slant clunk tank in it that is mounted against the bottom of the motor mount beams.  My overflow tube may just be too high, so I'm going to add some fuel line to it and lower it.  It exits on the side of the fuselage and it currently is about on the centerline of the tank.  I'm going to make that change and fly it in an hour or so.  I'm going to lean it out too, because I'd swear that I had some good engine runs earlier in the season.  I want to make sure before I do the major surgery of changing the tank height.

I bought another Chipmunk over the summer that was already built and this one has an OS FP40 and a metal stunt tank in it and it runs great.  I've done pretty much everything that I'm capable of doing and it does it all nicely.  (inside, outside loops, horizintal eights, vertical eights. inverted flight and loops and eights from inverted flight, reverse wingovers and some other stuff that I can't think of at the moment)  It's a pretty heavy plane but performs well despite it's weight. 

When you build it pay attention to the weight.  My kit was all heavy balsa that was the darker color with dark grain lines and very stiff.  You may want to substitute lighter, more flexible balsa for planking the fuselage.  I had one heck of a time bending the balsa over the top of the bulkheads on the fuselage.  You could also use lighter balsa on the leading edge planking and the center planking on the wings. 
Jerry

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 06:24:45 PM »
A final coat of Minwax Polyurethane varnish is very fuel proof - and shiny too.  I have found that my Rustoleum finishes will soften with fuel and if I wipe hard enough, my rag will turn whatever color the Rustoleum is.  So I always finish with a coat of varnish which is very fuel proof up to at least 35%.  Available in satin or gloss, too.

Mike,
I'm replying to your post from back in March.  Have you ever used Minwax Polyurethane varnish over white?  I'm curious if it remains clear over time, since some varnishes tend to yellow, and white is the "acid test", since yellowing shows up most over white.

Thanks,
Kim Mortimore
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 09:00:40 AM »
What did you use for the red trim on the fuselage?  It looks like a good match to the wing film trim.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Jerry Reider

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 02:57:55 PM »
The red trim is metallic Monokote on the wings fuselage and tail surfaces.
Jerry

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2009, 08:45:15 AM »
Rustoleum...Black is only so-so fuel proof...Silver, a no-no! The rest seems ok

W.
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline John KruziK

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2009, 12:10:25 PM »
Couldn't you use any color as long as you spray clear over . Thanks John
AMA 874027

Advertise Here
Tags: