News:

• May 08, 2024, 03:29:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A Light Weight Finish ?  (Read 4119 times)

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
A Light Weight Finish ?
« on: July 12, 2015, 07:32:29 AM »
I want to paint a model in white. White doesn't generally cover well and I want to avoid having to apply too many coats with the resulting weight penalty. How do I achieve a light-weight dope finish in white that covers evenly?
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: A Light Weight Finish ?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 10:44:58 AM »
  Hi Dennis;
    Do a search on the forum on "doping the dope" by my son Sean. It's basically adding a bit of white dope to your clear as you do your build up while finishing the model. Follow the normal process, and when you get to the pint you are ready to spray color, you already have a white airplane. A local guy came up with this idea and it gives good results. Sean's T-6 that he built from Don Hutchinson's plans is finished this way and Sean gives some details with photos. You can contact him for more specific pics and details. I think he only a slight toot of white spray to even everything out on the top of the model where there was an over lay of red.
   Good luck and have fun,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 10:48:32 AM »
I can't remember the guy's name,Sean McEntee.  OK, fine. (Dan's post collided with mine), but someone on this forum showed pictures of a build; he sticks down his silkspan (or polyspan) with clear, but after that he puts white dope into his clear.  It's something like 10% to 25% white.  So by the time he's ready for his base coat, the plane is already mostly white, with little weight gain over all clear.

You'll need to search around for the rest of the details, or hope that someone comes on and coughs up the rest.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 07:33:07 AM »
Thanks for the Tip Dan. Who would have thought that there was such a simple solution?
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 09:45:32 AM »
You can also put additional white toner in the you're white to give it better coverage.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 07:43:09 AM »
Where does one purchase White Toner? D>K

I think he's referring to pigment. Most auto paint suppliers will sell raw pigment, and just add that to clear dope. I painted a couple of free flight models once by using the pigment from Floquill railroad paints that had separated and settled to the bottom of the jar and added that to clear nitrate dope. I first read about this method in the old plans book for free flight scale WW-2 rubber powered models that Model Builder put out years ago.
    One thing to remember when painting a stunt model, especially white, is that you will be covering some of the base coat up with trim colors, markings and other details. Getting even coverage is more important than trying to make your model look like your refrigerator! Adding all the other stuff will make it all blend in.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 12:57:11 PM »
I think "doping the dope" is a great idea.  H^^

Doesn't just have to be white?

Has anyone added yellow tint to dope for a model who's primary color is going to be yellow?

I might just give this a try.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 08:46:11 PM »
I think "doping the dope" is a great idea.  H^^

Doesn't just have to be white?

Has anyone added yellow tint to dope for a model who's primary color is going to be yellow?

I might just give this a try.
The best base coat under yellow is white.  Anything else will make the yellow look muddy.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here