News:

• April 28, 2024, 09:39:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2X reacting with itself?  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Balsa Beavers Toronto Canada
2X reacting with itself?
« on: July 30, 2020, 03:37:50 PM »
Anyone had this happen? I sprayed a plane with a light coat of 2X  5 days ago so it was dry, and when I started applying the second coat from the same can it immediately started to bubble, lucky it was immediate so only a small area was effected, but I'm scared to spray anymore, I've never had this happen before.   
My purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: 2X reacting with itself?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 03:56:38 PM »
That's different. Did you add reducer or anything else to the paint?
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • Balsa Beavers Toronto Canada
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 06:54:51 PM »
That's different. Did you add reducer or anything else to the paint?

Yes it is, it's rattle can, I sprayed a small amount on the bottom of the fuse and it's fine so I have no idea what happened, I'll clean the effected area and try again. Very strange.
My purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 10:44:43 AM »
I've had spots on planes that for no reason I could determine, did weird stuff. The plane I'm painting right now had a couple of spots that did bizarre stuff. In one case I knew why. The paint didn't like the canopy glue I used. In the second case, I still have no idea. I sanded it down and repainted and it seems fine now.

Welcome to the wonderful world of painting.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 05:25:08 AM »
             You say it was dry due to the time line however, the problem you describe is what happens when the surface is only dry. You shot the second coat thus trapping in solvents which makes the underlying coat float. The first coat essentially loses its bond and wrinkles. I agree that this shouldn't of happened. Most of these finishes fair a lot better when heated with a heat lamp for a hour after being sprayed.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 09:25:10 AM »
Krylon is the only brand I trust and use. Suggested the use of only Krylon brand colors many many times, posting over many years.

Both these models were painted with Krylon aerosol can colors and finished with 2K auto clear also from an aerosol can.

If you mix the 2K from lid cans, please read the can. Some brands limit the % amount of thinner.

If you over thin, you're looking for trouble.

With all this paint detail plus the effort with graphics on these models, the last thing I need is the paint color or clear not working properly. Especially the clear.

Both these models have been sold BTW.

I was going to use the money for Electric equipment, but the wife took it.  mw~

After 40 years I'd like to keep my marriage in tact, so I allowed her to do this. Kinda.  ;D

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 03:51:54 PM »
Dwayne,
I had this happen with the Rustoleum 2X (acrylic enamel), the 2X has a very high flow rate. You need to do several "dust" coats with like 10 minutes between coats. I was trying to use this on the nose of an electric ringmaster. What a pain, I wound up sanding it down three times using a heat gun to aid in drying. Finally got a coat that was smooth then I gave a top coat of KBS Diamond Clear and its fine now. But from now on either good old dope or Krylon (acrylic lacquer) which we only have to worry about blushing.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 05:43:18 PM »
   You guys are bantering around too many letters and not really telling WHAT paint you are talking about. IS it Rustoleum 2X ? and "2K" is mentioned. If it is a two part or catalyzed paint, just call it that! Nothing gets confused or lost in the translation. If it is Rustoleum 2X, you got outside of their recoat window. It's weird, like "recoat in one hour or two weeks" or something like that, but usually the longer the better. Some one else has posted about this before, sticking to the directions to the letter and to the second time wise.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 05:52:30 AM »
Dan,
Yes we are talking about the color Rustoleum 2X acrylic enamel spray can paint (the 2X is a marketing thing and is pitched as twice the coverage, paint is one part) being very touchy to what it goes over and how thick you apply it in any one coat. I call Rustoleum about this and they said several dust coats spaced about 10 minutes apart. I finally got it to work but it is a pain as the 2X spray nozzle is designed to put out a lot of paint. I used the Rustoleum universal primer to start and let that dry a week. The color Rustoleum can wrinkle if it gets to thick so you need to hold the can 12"- 15" away from the work and not stop over it.

The KBS Diamond Clear is a one part clear coat that goes over any paint I've used (dope, Krylon, Rustoleum and MonoKote). It is available in spray cans and from my test has held up well for over three years without yellowing.

The other clear coat that was mentioned is a two part clear in a spray can - SprayMax 2K (in this case the 2K designates two part material). With this system you have to push the activator button to release the cure activator into the base material within the spray can, shake and spray. This stuff being a two part urethane needs extra care when spraying like a very good paint spray mask, sprayed outside.

As I said in my prior post for me the Rustoleum is just too touchy. Dope or Krylon is much easier, just need to leave it gas off outside a bit longer then Rustoleum. Some have used Rustoleum with great success and it may depend on the substrate you are applying it over and how well that has gassed off.

Best,   DennisT
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 06:49:06 PM by Dennis Toth »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2020, 07:37:54 AM »
Dennis,

The Spray Max is "2K", not 2X.

Here's the thing.

You could just stop using anything and everything.

Just use Krylon aerosol can colors and the 2 part aerosol can Spray Max clear.

All aerosol cans, easy, cheap, 100% fuel proof with the 2K top coat auto clear and easy to work with.

Good to go! Simple simple. And great looking models.

There some tricks though.

C

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2020, 06:52:37 PM »
Charles,
My bad, yes Spray Max 2K, corrected post.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2020, 06:32:55 AM »
I've used Rustoleum 2X for several years. A color that has been curing for over a year will react to a new coat from the same can. As was stated above it needs very light coats to be successful when spraying over dry paint. I've found that all coats of a color must be applied within 30 minutes. The paint dries fast so you can spray another coat as soon as the previous coat is firm or 5 minutes between coats. I generally apply 3 coats of each color. The clear coats can be sprayed before the color has dried for best results. That's not possible with other trim colors as the base color has to be dry before masking the trim.  I have learned the hard way that 2X should be used on electrics. I've sanded and repainted a few glow powered planes with butyrate. It's costly but easier to work with.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here