News:

• May 07, 2024, 10:07:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Zig Zag turbulators  (Read 3952 times)

Offline Mike Haverly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Zig Zag turbulators
« on: June 12, 2013, 08:15:54 PM »
     Awhile back Howard asked some leading questions about my vinyl cutter.  "How small can you cut?".  He was talking about something a little different than what is pictured here, but along the same lines.  Changing the airflow over the tail surface has been fooled with for years here is another approach.  The vinyl is pretty thin but could be stacked to whatever thickness required.  This is one layer.  I haven't passed judgement on this yet.  The weather was turbulent and I made other trim adjustments as well, but it looks kinda cool.

What brought this to mind was Dave Trible's mention of Zig Zag tabulators on another thread.
Mike

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Zig Zag turbulators
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 09:10:12 PM »
Hi Mike.  I'd be interested to know your results. I've not really considered using them on the stab, I guess I haven't realized a need for that but I'd like to know what differences you find between flights without,  where you have them placed and at maybe 20%.  My guess would be to make the flat stab act more like an airfoiled one give a tad more turn rate for a given deflection.  Due to bad weather I'm still in very early stages of testing with mine but my goal is a little different.  Mine are on the wing and are to milk out the most lift during a manuever on an intentionally higher wing loading.  I think there is promise here with whoop a#?  power.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 09:28:37 PM »
Here's some background.  http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=30154.0 .  The idea is to make sure transition stays put at the LE. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Online Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 11:47:19 PM »
Similar turbulators on LE of the foam 3-D VisionAire on the cover of April 2013 MA. These 3-D RC models do some very similar tricks to what our CL models do, especially abrupt corners at relatively low speed where stalling out of the air is not desired. They are about at high point of wing. VisionAire looks very much like a CL stunter.

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 05:26:41 AM »
Here's some background.  http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=30154.0 .  The idea is to make sure transition stays put at the LE. 
Thanks Howard,  I'd forgotten that discussion.  I see where this line of thought is coming from.

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 09:08:18 AM »
Bob G used to put zig zag ribbon the main wing of his planes just after the LE.  Wouldn’t you want to place this about ½” after the LE?  As the model is rotating the separation point changes correct? I would think you would want this just after the separation point in rotation as to help keep the air agitated during sharp angle of attack. But then again I have not seen this used on the stab, only on the wing. I will be interested to hear more about your findings. Dead calm days will tell you the most about what is actually happening.  

I read the other thread.  

There was talk of the “dead zone.” I don’t think there is a dead zone. Whatever position the elevator is holding is the ultimate direction the plane travels.  The stab and elevator together make the entire rear airfoil.  The elevator is always acting on the model.  Our control systems are always under tension while in the air, even the loose ones with slop, like mine.

Droop is used in place of slop, or both are used as in my case.  They both achieve the same effect.  Think about the take off move with a drooping elevator.  You must give it up to get it off the ground once it is rolling on the main gear. The plane is NOT flying with down elevator.  It is actually flying with a tad bit of up or level elevator to hold the altitude.  Level elevator on a slightly positive stab will create a camber on the top of the tail section this will create down force on the tail.  Ted explained to me years ago that if you had a brick on the nose, moving the CG almost to the nose ring, it would require an enormous amount of constant up elevator just to get the plane off of the ground.  And on the flip side with no brick on the nose the needed amount of input is minimal.  But there is input needed because the CG is forward the aerodynamic center of lift for the entire model.  Just because we are holding the handle level and the plane is flying level doesn’t mean there is NOT a constant small, micro, teeny tiny, amount of steady up elevator.  The droop allows us to move the surfaces to the desired angles to create a camber in the main wing from the LE to the TE of the flap so there is actual lift AND it also creates camber on the tail section but the camber is on the top of the stab/elevator, whereas on the wing it is on the bottom.    If the engine is at 0 or -.5-1 degree and flap is at 0 and the wing is at 0 the plane will not fly with down elevator.  It’s impossible.   Positive incidence in the stab with the elevators lined up with the stab gives you the exact same effect only a smaller amount of up is needed to due to the creation of the camber on the tail happens sooner once up elevator is applied to get the model off the ground.  But the end result is exactly the same.  I have been saying this for years but it doesn’t seem to get much traction.  Direct side view pictures of stunt planes in level flight support this as well.  It’s not always noticeable on the straight legs of a maneuver picture, but a picture of a model at level flight 4’-6’ with the camera at or about the same height it can be seen.    
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 12:36:48 PM »
Bob G used to put zig zag ribbon the main wing of his planes just after the LE.  Wouldn’t you want to place this about ½” after the LE?  As the model is rotating the separation point changes correct? I would think you would want this just after the separation point in rotation as to help keep the air agitated during sharp angle of attack. But then again I have not seen this used on the stab, only on the wing. I will be interested to hear more about your findings. Dead calm days will tell you the most about what is actually happening.

"Separation" by the official definition is involved here, but I think you are using that word to mean "stagnation point", which isn't.  Stagnation point is the point near the LE where the air splits to go either over the top or bottom.  It is of interest for ice buildup or stall detector location, but not much else.   Separation happens back farther on the wing: 70% or so chord aft of the LE.  That's where flow next to the surface slows to a stop and separates from the surface.  Keeping this point as far back as possible is probably good.    Trip strips are used to change the flow from laminar to turbulent farther forward that it would if left to change naturally.  A turbulent boundary layer will remain stuck to the wing farther aft before it separates.  Look at http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=30917.0, especially Frank's comments and references, which might give guidance as to where to put them and how thick they should be.  XFoil doesn't seem to be much help.  Another issue is the laminar separation bubble, which Igor or Frank can explain.  I can't.

The Jive Combat Team

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 12:43:42 PM »
There was talk of the “dead zone.” I don’t think there is a dead zone.

Me neither. 

The droop in the Impact elevator is where neutral comes out after you consider downwash over the (zero-incidence) stab, gyroscopic effects, and any other asymmetry.  This probably helps keep the laminar-turbulent transition on the tail from wandering around with that tail configuration.  It works right-side up and upside down.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 02:53:42 PM »
Bob G used to put zig zag ribbon the main wing of his planes just after the LE.  Wouldn’t you want to place this about ½” after the LE?  As the model is rotating the separation point changes correct? I would think you would want this just after the separation point in rotation as to help keep the air agitated during sharp angle of attack. But then again I have not seen this used on the stab, only on the wing. I will be interested to hear more about your findings. Dead calm days will tell you the most about what is actually happening.  

I read the other thread.  

There was talk of the “dead zone.” I don’t think there is a dead zone. Whatever position the elevator is holding is the ultimate direction the plane travels.  The stab and elevator together make the entire rear airfoil.  The elevator is always acting on the model.  Our control systems are always under tension while in the air, even the loose ones with slop, like mine.

Droop is used in place of slop, or both are used as in my case.  They both achieve the same effect.  Think about the take off move with a drooping elevator.  You must give it up to get it off the ground once it is rolling on the main gear. The plane is NOT flying with down elevator.  It is actually flying with a tad bit of up or level elevator to hold the altitude.  Level elevator on a slightly positive stab will create a camber on the top of the tail section this will create down force on the tail.  Ted explained to me years ago that if you had a brick on the nose, moving the CG almost to the nose ring, it would require an enormous amount of constant up elevator just to get the plane off of the ground.  And on the flip side with no brick on the nose the needed amount of input is minimal.  But there is input needed because the CG is forward the aerodynamic center of lift for the entire model.  Just because we are holding the handle level and the plane is flying level doesn’t mean there is NOT a constant small, micro, teeny tiny, amount of steady up elevator.  The droop allows us to move the surfaces to the desired angles to create a camber in the main wing from the LE to the TE of the flap so there is actual lift AND it also creates camber on the tail section but the camber is on the top of the stab/elevator, whereas on the wing it is on the bottom.    If the engine is at 0 or -.5-1 degree and flap is at 0 and the wing is at 0 the plane will not fly with down elevator.  It’s impossible.   Positive incidence in the stab with the elevators lined up with the stab gives you the exact same effect only a smaller amount of up is needed to due to the creation of the camber on the tail happens sooner once up elevator is applied to get the model off the ground.  But the end result is exactly the same.  I have been saying this for years but it doesn’t seem to get much traction.  Direct side view pictures of stunt planes in level flight support this as well.  It’s not always noticeable on the straight legs of a maneuver picture, but a picture of a model at level flight 4’-6’ with the camera at or about the same height it can be seen.    

Doug I haven't generated enough info yet to be too specific about turbulators location but I'd think like Howard that Bob's location would seem too far forward to gain much,  however I know Bob must have seen something or it wouldn't  be there.  Location is going to be different on different designs and parameters.  Transition moves forward as the angle of attack increases.  What we don't really know is how far.  I'd like to place the turbs just ahead of that place to force transition a bit sooner and evenly along the span. My thought in my case is to start around 20% and work from there.  I do think if put to far forward the flow may have time and space to return to laminar with little gain. 

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 03:04:01 PM »
Sounds about right.  Where are Igor's?
The Jive Combat Team

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 11:12:50 AM »
I recently closely examined a Maule STOL plane.  It has full span turbulators only about 10" from leading edge.  And this is a wing approx. 48" constant chord.  Well ahead of the wing high point.

This apparently prevents separation at very high angles of attack-- and our planes do that constantly during maneuvers.

Instead of VGs at wing high point, would it work better more forward?

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 11:51:57 AM »
Turbulators?

There is no aerodynamic significance to the "high point".  There is experimenting yet to do.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 02:39:11 PM »
Update;  did some turbulaton' t'day.  Flew the red machine about eight flights then put the turbulators on where show and flew another three flights.  Notes so far:
-  the airplane on takeoff wants to lift off very smoothly in about 1/2 the normal distance.
- the lap time slowed about .1 second., upped RPM 150.
-  the ship felt more bouyant and reaction to control inputs felt 'silky'.  Very smooth.
- gripped in the top turns of the hourglass better.

About all I'm gunna say for now.

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 09:42:17 AM »
Hope they work at the NATS and that you nail a flight I know you're capable of. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 10:24:04 AM »
Hope they work at the NATS and that you nail a flight I know you're capable of. H^^
Thanks John,  Desperado rides the dark horse!
AMA 20934

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 10:41:20 AM »
Dave, how thick are your zigs and zags?
Mike

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 10:51:31 AM »
Mike I don't know but will mic it when I get home tonight.  They are cut from Nashua foil duct tape.  Maybe listed on their website.....
Seems the pinking upsets the edges some so to appear a little thicker than the material itself.
Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 02:05:15 PM »
http://www.staples.com/silver%20reflective%20tape/directory_silver%20reflective%20tape (scroll past the 3M stuff to find the Nashua brand foil duct tape)

They say "5 mils"...which  is .005"...but I don't know WTF they don't just say it's "5 thou" or .005".   ??? Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 02:10:05 PM »

That was the question I asked in my thread?? I wanted to know if anyone knew how thick trips should be, or at what thickness the effectiveness of them stops and starts... If you are just using foil tape, that is not thicker than a paint line, and many paint lines are way thicker than .005

I still would luv to know if anyone has done experiments on this. I do know that .18 thou does work.. past that just need more testing methinks   ;D

Randy

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2013, 02:24:44 PM »
Zig Zags are the preferred papers of millions of inmates...

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2013, 02:29:20 PM »
Some of the more dedicated FAI  FF guys applied strips of basswood, and sanded them down until they stopped working, then went back a step.  :o Steve

Edit: The idea is to turbulate as required, yet reduce drag from the turbulators as much as possible.
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2013, 03:21:48 PM »
Sounds like a good way to find out. 

How thick it is depends on what it's for, hence where it is.  Mike's application is to have the transition stay put on the stab.  Dave's is probably to keep the flow stuck to the wing.  I think Mike has tried the stacked electrical tape, too.  We gotta get Mike to stop spewing blood and airplane parts on the field and cut some more of those lattice things so we can stack them up to see if they work. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2013, 03:41:50 PM »
"We gotta get Mike to stop spewing blood and airplane parts on the field and cut some more of those lattice things "

uhggg!!!!  that doesn't sound fun... Tell him to get some Kevlar gloves and rubber hose to fit his fingers ;)

Randy

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2013, 04:10:34 PM »
Actually, a bicycle helmet would have done the job perfectly...tipped over while trying to recover line tension when electromotion device stopped suddenly in the H8. Thought to be an electrical problem! Imagine that... VD~ Steve

PS: I still am wondering if the flight score increase is greater or equal to the number of AP's lost.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 04:42:28 PM by Steve Helmick »

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2013, 04:55:01 PM »
Actually, a bicycle helmet would have done the job perfectly...tipped over while trying to recover line tension when electromotion device stopped suddenly in the H8. Thought to be an electrical problem! Imagine that... VD~ Steve

PS: I still am wondering if the flight score increase is greater or equal to the number of AP's lost.

ouch!!!  the noggin  huh??   he better look after that, may need it down the road !!  LOL

Randy

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2013, 06:02:32 PM »
      Easy to blame faulty electronics, better to blame the user.  The timer died at the most unopertune time; bottom of outside loops of horizontal eights.  I've seen glow plugs die and bees stick into venturis causing the same type of problem.  In this case I was using an obsolete tmer with way too my flights on it.  The leak in my head only needed four spaples to seal it.
     Back to Howard's trip strips.  I'm going to cut some more tonight for further testing.  I have time to kill while waiting for dope to gas on the repair of my Sultan.
Mike

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2013, 06:06:51 PM »

I doubt that there will be any AP's lost and I'll never say. 8)
Mike

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2013, 09:05:47 AM »
Mike, I discovered I used Scotch 3311 foil tape instead of the Nashua.  Micrometer said .004! One can build layers and cut I guess.  Depends if you think of the turbulators as a spillway or a razor blade scraping or sawing up the boundary layer.  Right now I'm in the later camp.  Will do more testing but likely will go with what I have for this Nats.

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2013, 12:52:12 PM »
Depends if you think of the turbulators as a spillway or a razor blade scraping or sawing up the boundary layer.

If you think either, you are better guided by experimenting than by theorizing.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2013, 02:01:03 PM »
If you think either, you are better guided by experimenting than by theorizing.
Some of us sure are!

Dave
AMA 20934

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here