News:

• May 08, 2024, 04:34:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Zero Airplane I Won  (Read 4199 times)

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Zero Airplane I Won
« on: November 18, 2009, 10:50:20 PM »
Hi Guys,

I'm sorry its taken this long to post some pictures of my progress on the airplane I won on Stunt Hanger. I've got a lot more work to do on her but I think she will be a fun plane to play with. Thank you Stunt Hanger for giving me this gift.
Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Zero Airplane I Won
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 11:23:06 PM »
Hi Gary,

Glad to see you are going with it!

Is it a Brodak Warbird?  If so, I built the prototype for John Brodak from Mike's pencil drawings back in '94 (or sometime back then! LOL!) and it was a GREAT flying profile.  Mike had just sketched the fuselage, stab/elev. and wingtips on some paper when I went by his house during a contest weekend.  He gave me those and I went home and built it.  I used a well worn OS 35S and that thing was one of the best flying planes I have had.  A snagged LO clip caused a loss of the outboard wing at Norfolk one year.  I still have plans to build a new wing and get it back into the air.  The original Warbirds used a '57 Green Box Nobler wing with rib #1 removed to get the 48" WS.  I think you will really like it!

Mongo
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 11:41:13 PM »
Hi Bill,

Good to hear from ya, yes its a Brodak Warbird. I'm using a evolution 36, the engine was given to me, so that makes the plane a freebee. I got a soup can, so I guess I could make the tank out of that!!! Hey!!! that's what we used to use for tanks???? Just kidding I'll make a good tank for it. I have a lot of sanding and filling to do and then she will be ready to finish. I have some of the old K&B Epoxy paint from yester year, so that might be a good choice!! I have some silk material, so I guess I'll cover it with that. I really think its great that Stunt Hanger does this for us fans. Thank you again, Gary (Yes I made adjustable leadouts for her.)
Gary Anderson

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 06:55:13 AM »
I had one of those for it seems like forever. A few hundred flights on it with various engines. I lost it this year when the engine mysteriously stopped directly overhead and no place to run. I just have to build another one as it was one of the best flying profiles that I had the pleasure to fly.Wing and stab were Grey Monokote and the fuse was Lusterkote, Black cowl, Red accents. Simple and to me good looking.

Dennis

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 07:05:58 AM »
Looks like it'll be a goodern for sure. AP^
John Stiles             Tulip, Ar.

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 02:55:31 PM »
Looks good!  Don't most Brodak profiles use the same aerodynamics except the P-40?

Matt Colan

Offline Mike McHenry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 06:22:17 PM »
Please report on how it performs after you have it trimmed. I'm a little partial to the Zero and have one of these kits that I plan to build after completing my new pampa Zero. The hope is to paint them exactly the same.  I do have a Brodak ME-109 that flies wonderfully, so I'm hoping the Zero is as good.  Looking forward to seeing yours completed!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 01:28:38 AM »
Please report on how it performs after you have it trimmed. I'm a little partial to the Zero and have one of these kits that I plan to build after completing my new pampa Zero. The hope is to paint them exactly the same.  I do have a Brodak ME-109 that flies wonderfully, so I'm hoping the Zero is as good.  Looking forward to seeing yours completed!

Hi Mike,

From all reports I have heard over the years, the Zero seems to be the best flying of the bunch.  I built mine pretty light (but didn't knock myself out), and used 1/4" for the stab/elevators, but then I was just building from a set of pencil drawings and the wing plan from one of the other Warbirds.  They were all the same wing except for the tips.  The kit came out exactly like the drawings Mike did, so mine was identical to the first kit.  Mike did tell me that the wing actually is a '57 GB Nobler wing from #2 rib out.  I really need to get mine back into the air......  Straight and trimmed, it flies much better than it seems like it should.  Some of the guys still say I flew that plane better than I hve anything else! LL~  Mike's original prototype Warbird, a P-51B, still survives, and it is powered now with a Brodak K&B 40.  It ain't no lightweight but flies exceptionally well!  Build yours and you will like it. ;D

Mongo
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 02:25:15 AM »
Hi Bill,

Good to hear from ya, if the Zero's wing is a copy of the nobler it should be a great flier. The kit was put together very well as most of Mr. Brodak's stuff is. The wood was very good and all the parts was there. I'm still in love with my baby (The 660 size Stiletto) she flys very well and really feel great at the handle. I have the 35 size Stiletto cut out and ready to go just been to busy doing nothing. Since I retired it seems like I'm to busy to do much of anything. Fool around the house and play with my toys and the day disappears. I'm not sure what colors I'll use on the zero but I'm sure it won't be correct. The bottom probably off white and the top some sort of silver with panel lines. I'm sure I'll have fun with her anyway, have a great day, Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 09:03:51 PM »
Hi guys,

Here is another picture of my progress. Needs a lot of sanding and fitting to complete. I decided to go with 3/4 flaps, to be different. On one of my noblers we have 3/4 flaps and she flys great, so I thought I would give it a go. As you can see the parts fit very well and John Brodak did a great job putting this kit together. I probably won't post anymore pictures until I have her covered. Don't want to make anyone sick looking at my great craftsmanship. So far this has been an easy and fun plane to put together. I appreciate all the help I've received, Gary
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 01:10:32 PM by Gary Anderson »
Gary Anderson

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 01:29:58 PM »
At this stage of construction it looks better than some I have had.  Keep up the good work.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 09:49:06 AM »
The 3/4 flaps look great. Overall look of fuse is super, with the cowl 'bump' and elongated fuse tail. This really captures the Zero's discerning features!
The testimonials of its flying habits make me want one also. Beautiful work, by the way.

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2009, 12:53:00 AM »
Hi guys,

I'm getting close to finishing my new toy, just wondering how many of these planes have been finished?? I would be nice to see some pictures of the A6M Zero Painted. I haven't decided what color I'm going to paint mine. Maybe a muddy silver looking top and an off white bottom?? I sure this one will need a lot of panel lines, its really a nice kit and I believe its worth taking the time to try and make her look real. I hope when I get done with her, she's not a scream, Gary (John Miller did a great job on the cad drawing)
Gary Anderson

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 08:13:32 AM »
Hi Gary, mine is in silkspan and clear dope. I agree with you regarding the quality of the kit. Some kits fight you every step of the way, this one just jumped out of the box and threw itself together. There are a lot of paint schemes available for this fighter, I'm going to go with the KISS method and do a basic forest green/grey camo paint scheme. I'll post pics later. If it flies as well as the P-51 I did a few years ago I will be very pleased.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 11:36:04 PM »
Hi Gary, mine is in silkspan and clear dope. I agree with you regarding the quality of the kit. Some kits fight you every step of the way, this one just jumped out of the box and threw itself together. There are a lot of paint schemes available for this fighter, I'm going to go with the KISS method and do a basic forest green/grey Cameo paint scheme. I'll post pics later. If it flies as well as the P-51 I did a few years ago I will be very pleased.  8)
Hi Pete,
Have you had a chance to paint the Zero?? I haven't had much time with the holidays and family gatherings. I still want to do more wood work to engine cowl area, not sure what I want to do but I'm sure it needs it. I'm going to use a 6 ounce clunk tank with the evo 36. I haven't covered mine but I believe this coming week I'll be free to hide out and play with it. I have my little hide away out back (Not Australia, I wish), its nice and warm and plenty of light, of coarse, T.V., Computer, Microwave, Short wave radio, easy chair and mostly a big lock on the door, NO DOOR BELL. What the hiccup doc its only 10' x 12'. If ya got some pictures, I would love to see them, Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 12:10:48 AM »
Hey Gary: I'll take a few pics and post them. Unfortunately the model is still in clear and silkspan because I am painting two other planes at present and that is all I can juggle at one time. The Zero is on stand-by because I have a good Brodak Mustang that serves my profile stunt needs for the time being.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 02:12:23 PM »
Gary: Not a very good pic of my Zero but you can see how I did the nose section. I think it will be a good flier.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 04:15:22 PM »
Hi Pete,

Nice looking plane and yes my nose section looks the same. My camera battery is dead and my printer took a dump. I'll try and get some pictures of mine and post them. What power plant to you plan on using, I'm going to use the evo 36. Thank you for the picture, Gary
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 06:33:10 PM by Gary Anderson »
Gary Anderson

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2010, 04:38:47 PM »
Primary engine planned for it is also an Evo .36. I installed a universal motor mount, I think it is a Tom Morris unit, so I will be able to see how it flies with a few other engines also.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 11:45:24 PM »
Gary: Not a very good pic of my Zero but you can see how I did the nose section. I think it will be a good flier.  8)
Hi Pete,

Did you weigh the plane??? I've got mine covered and she weighs 26 ounces without engine or tank. Everything else is included in the weigh. I use koverall instead of silkspan, just trying something different for me. I have her sitting in silver at the moment and maybe tomorrow do somemore sanding. Looked better without the silver, just shows what needs to be done. I haven't totaled decided on color at the moment, probably try to make it look like the zero should look?????I would appreciate ya letting me know what yours weighs, Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2010, 11:54:43 AM »
Hi Gary: Glad you are making progress. I will be away from the shop  :'( for about a week but will weigh the Zero and get back to you when I return.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2010, 07:48:40 PM »
HI Gary,

I cannot remember the exact weight of mine, but it was under 35 oz. RTF.  I *think it was 32.  I used Sig Dark Green on the top, Polar Gray on the bottom, and a black cowl.  An OLD OS MAX 35S, 10-5 BY&O, 4 oz. Brodak tank.  A lot of the guys still say I flew that model better than any other one I have had........ ;D

Mongo
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here