News:

• May 08, 2024, 11:39:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Your Eyes  (Read 4061 times)

Offline Scott B. Riese

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Just a student of stunt
Your Eyes
« on: June 14, 2009, 11:43:45 AM »
Hi Guy's

Hay or Hey....we all or getting older. With that our eye sight changes with age. My eyes are changing WAY to fast for me. I can see things very well at a distance. Up close I'm losing it. I'm finding that it's more then eye strain. I've always had 20/15 vision, this week I go in for a eye exam. I'm thinking maybe Lasik eye surgery. MY QUESTION IS...Have any of you guy's have had it done? And can you still focus at 60' with out any delay. Meaning do your eyes react as fast as they did before the surgery?
Scott Riese
Portland, Oregon
AMA 528301

Offline Greg Hart

• Lieutenant
Re: Your Eyes
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 12:40:57 PM »
Scott,
I have the same age problem. I hear the best results for that surgery works for people  with vision that can see up close and have blurry vision at a  distance. Glasses are less expensive.
BUY A UKEY AND LEARN

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 02:09:29 PM »
I had cataracts removed in both eyes in January and February....also added lenses that corrected my eyes to better than I can remember....
I opted NOT to have bi-focal lenses, as I like a full field of vision, so I still need reading glasses from the drug store.
Get them done!
It's terrific!

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 03:50:46 PM »
I had very short sight, (10.25 dioptres) + strong astigmatism. Unsuitable for laser treatment. Then - saw in the science column of the paper they had a new machine for astigmatism, (St. Thomas' Hospital London) and were looking for volunteers! Sent in my prescription and got accepted. Result - virtually no astigmatism and short sight 2.5 dioptres. The bottom line is I could now get home without specs, previously not.
At a certain age your eye loses the range of focus it had when young, so you will always need specs, either for long or short distances, even with laser treatment. They have left me with a good "average" focussing distance. I use varifocals. It's great.
Is it worth it? As a volunteer it was free for me. I wouldn't spend the money at my age, since I will always need specs, but for someone young who could eliminate the need for specs, I say yes, no hesitation.  :)
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 04:27:15 PM »
I guess I am lucky.  Only reason I wear glasses it to mainly read.  Sometimes at night I take them off while driving and after a few minutes every thing is normal until I need to read something up close.  Doc said it was all the years looking at a CRT/Monitor at work.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 04:51:29 PM »
Scott, I have the same problem. Used to have 20/10 vision which is beyond perfect. While reading, I noticed I was having blurred vision. I was sure at the time that it must be the lighting so I would move the paper to a better? angle. After a few weeks of denial I went and got checked. Old age had done its part. The lens that we have in our eyes for close up sight gets hard with age no longer allowing it to bend to focus. The cure? Glasses. A reliable lasik surgery for this affliction is not available at this time. My son had his eyes done for distance and now has 20/20. Maybe someday we will be so lucky. Right now glasses are much much cheaper. Go to your nearest pharmacy and buy a cheap pair of reading glasses. You will be amazed.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 05:17:44 PM »
Hi Scott,
I had Cataract Surgery on both eyes last year. The first night was weird - - Sharon took me for a drive, and all the street lights had a "halo", like you get on a snowy Winter night. The next day (and ever since), my vision has been better than it has for the last 25 years. I can read Freeway signs at ¼ mile, but the amazing part is that I can read newspapers without glasses! I hadn't expected that bonus.

The only "trick" is picking a good surgeon. Eye surgery has progressed tremendously just in the last 5 years. Much, much more reliable and predictable.

Good luck
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 09:46:26 AM by Ralph Wenzel »
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline GGeezer

• Commander
    • Gizmogeezer Products
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 06:24:15 PM »
There is nothing wrong with my old eyes............ its just that my arms are too short! n~ 8)

Orv.

Offline Scott B. Riese

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 07:41:05 PM »
Well...I have several pairs of reading glasses. 100,125,150,175,and a 200 I use to do miching with...guess I sould ware them when I type....lol

Guess I'm thinking ahead. I don't want to start the outside square and not see that I'm behind the plane to make that corner of doom. I still can see at a distance...very well.
Scott Riese
Portland, Oregon
AMA 528301

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 07:58:41 PM »
Sometime in May, I had an eye exam, and my Eye Dr. congratulated me for my vision improving for the last 3 yearly visits.  He said I could now pass the driving eye test without corrective lenses, and he asked what the reason was.

My reply: Getting older, taking my vitamins, going to the gym, and trying to get more sleep (without a lot of success, OBTW).

I've been near-sighted since early HS days, and worn glasses since then, with bifocals for about the last 15 yrs.  Since NW Regionals, I've been flying with non-corrective sun glasses (Bill Dance fishing glasses, Sportsman's Warehouse), and at work have been wearing just safety glasses that have 1.5+ bifocals from Fred Meyer's tools & hardware section. Both are wonderfully comfortable and work great for me. The safety glasses are $15.  I talked to my brother about Laser/Lasik eye surgery, and he told me not to do it, because the FAA doesn't approve of it. Not that I really care about the FAA, but I do think they might have more information than I do. I've met a lot of folks that had it, and were very happy afterwards, but long term, you'll need glasses again anyway, I think. That is, if there is a long term, and we really never know, huh?   ??? Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 08:05:19 PM »
I've had 20/20 vision my whole life, which my parents find odd because my mother is farsighted, and my dad jokes around saying if I tried on his glasses, I would end up blind
Matt Colan

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 09:05:06 PM »
Matt...Yeah, I had 20/20 until I was about your age...

Dad was far sighted, Mom didn't wear glasses until 50 or so, but all three of us boys did from teen years. Eat your carrots and take your vitamins!   D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 07:02:19 AM »
Two more items.....
1) the implanted lenses have UV protection! Kewl!!!
2) Don't wait until your cataracts get "ripe"! My regular eye MD kept saying stuff like "they're not ready yet" and "you can see well enough to drive"...get them done! The change is amazing!

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 07:05:06 AM »
Matt...Yeah, I had 20/20 until I was about your age...

Dad was far sighted, Mom didn't wear glasses until 50 or so, but all three of us boys did from teen years. Eat your carrots and take your vitamins!   D>K Steve

Grandpa's eyes are pretty good.  He has two pairs of glasses that you get at any store, one is a higher magnification than the other so he can see what he's doing when he's building or we're building.

Matt Colan

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 11:38:10 AM »
I had cataracts removed in both eyes in January and February....also added lenses that corrected my eyes to better than I can remember....
I opted NOT to have bi-focal lenses, as I like a full field of vision, so I still need reading glasses from the drug store.
Get them done!
It's terrific!

Hmmmmm.  Does this mean scores from Peabody the judge might possibly increase, now that he can see the plane...??!  VD~
Steve

Offline Hoss Cain

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 12:55:16 AM »
Hi Guy's

Hay or Hey....we all or getting older. With that our eye sight changes with age. My eyes are changing WAY to fast for me. I can see things very well at a distance. Up close I'm losing it. I'm finding that it's more then eye strain. I've always had 20/15 vision, this week I go in for a eye exam. I'm thinking maybe Lasik eye surgery. MY QUESTION IS...Have any of you guy's have had it done? And can you still focus at 60' with out any delay. Meaning do your eyes react as fast as they did before the surgery?

Getting older is better than the alternative, however there is only one true result which we do postpone as long as possible. Now EYES: Grab a beer, make thyself comfortable, and hear my story.

I had 20-10 vision when I entered the USAF Aviation Cadet program in 1955, age 19. At about 45 years old, I sensed some rapid changes. I did have an astigmatism that almost kept me grounded, so that has always been there.
About 2.5 years ago I began to have some real problems. Scalp area would feel like the sensation when a limb has that numb/tingling feeling when circulation gets cut off. Temples began to have considerable pain at various times. There would be muscle retractions in the facial areas.

After a few weeks, I went to my heart Dr. and he ran all kinds of tests for restrictions. NOTHING! He sent me to a Neurologist. For 3 months I had MRI, lots of physical therapy, and took some pills that did nothing except make beer and soft drinks taste badly.  %^@  I was getting my personal affairs in order. I was wondering just how this was going to turn out.

Then I began to notice how badly I was flying toys. My thick glasses needed more thick. I decided to visit an ophthalmologist rather than the standard optometrist. While the optometrists had mentioned cataracts they always said "....no need to bother yet..."
I have faith that the steering to Dr. Shrum in Humble was a divine event. No lasik stuff, just the real thing.
Being basically blind within arm's reach, I woke up the 1st morning after the 1st operation and I could read the time on the clock on the bedside. Could not see the clock before. TV was sharp. Who tuned it during the night?

3 weeks later I did the other eye. I now have 20-20 left eye, 20-30 right eye and wear corrective lenses for night driving and the reading glasses for reading and building. Hardly ever for just general round-the-house. Beer started tasting better within a week. All the pains left after several weeks.

Now it's also back to one shot - one kill in small game hunting. That had gone away for some time. I have not crashed a model since the operations. At 73, I feel pretty good that the cataract operations did wonders.
Anyone in Houston, TX area I do recommend Dr. Shrum for the job. Check yellow pages.
Horrace Cain
AMA L-93 CD and Leader
New Caney, TX  (NE Houston area)

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 08:20:48 AM »
I had both lenses replaced years ago resulting in the left 20/20 and the right 20/30. I think most doctors will do one eye and after it is successful will do the other. Mine were done a year apart. The second one didn't need it right away. In my case, once the cataracts started growing, my vision decreased rapidly.

You may be able to judge a good surgeon by the number of operations he(she) does. My doctor was doing about a dozen operations the day I had mine done (both times).

For those who have not had it done, the actual operation consists of cutting a small slit, using an ultrasonic probe that breaks up the defective lens and sucks it out, then sticking in a replacement lens that unfolds after being inserted (smaller hole). Some need a stitch or two to close it up, some do not need stitches. You are awake (and VERY still) the whole time.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 02:10:20 PM »
Scott.  Not sure what you need to fix your eyes.  I had cataract surgery last year, and it was very successful.  The actual operation was almost nothing (for me, anyway).  The improvement was truly amazing!

Floyd

(eyes by Bausch & Lomb)
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Scott B. Riese

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 11:22:43 PM »
Thank you all.
Scott Riese
Portland, Oregon
AMA 528301

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 12:19:29 AM »
Scott,

Sounds like you are just getting old and now need reading glasses.  Here's the lowdown: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbyopia .  I had cataract surgery, too.  It's wonderful, but it doesn't restore your ability to focus your eyes at different distances. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2009, 08:41:22 AM »
Scott,

I don't have the problem (what with tri-focals!) but the wife of a friend of mine had it done and thought it was great! However 4-5 yrs later, she is wearing glasses again. Don't know any more than that, but I do think I'd look into it some more...

W.
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Scott B. Riese

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2009, 03:56:05 PM »
HOWARD......That was going to be the name of my next plane!!!! >:D

I went in today.....20-40 or so. NO Glasses! SO i can't see the hair on a fleas assssssssssss any more. YES I'm losing it. Man... Now I may Look like Leo in a few weeks. 53 and thinking of new eye balls...  VD~
Scott Riese
Portland, Oregon
AMA 528301

Offline Jo Ann Keville

• Ensign
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2009, 09:27:26 PM »
I have two remarks on the subject. First being that if you are not careful when buying those drug store magnifying reading glasses you can do more harm that good. If the magnification is not proper for you need you can do more damage to your eyes. And second, instead of getting two pair of glasses because you don't want the bifocal thing, Get what is called progressive lenses, You get a full range of great vision without the bifocal look to them It is like having trifocals actually but there is no lines across your lenses. I have them and can see everything perfect at any distance with one pair of glasses. I have a full range of vision no matter where I look. Progressive lenses are great. I recommend them to everyone. Plus you don't have that little old person look to your glasses. No one knows you have bifocals. Good luck in what ever decision you make.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2009, 06:03:42 AM »
When you're a little old person you don't care how you look.  Just how you see.

But, I heartily second the "progressive lenses" remarks.
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Scott B. Riese

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2009, 01:18:49 PM »
Thank you Jo Ann.  y1
Scott Riese
Portland, Oregon
AMA 528301

Offline Jo Ann Keville

• Ensign
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2009, 06:22:22 PM »
You are quite welcome. Keep us posted on your final decision. I am sure what ever you decide will be right for you.
Take care and good luck.
JoAnn

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2009, 07:11:31 PM »
If you do choose the progressive focus lenses, Scott, never, never, never look down when you're going down stairs. You're practically certain to misjudge the steps. And falling really starts to hurt as you approach 65! You don't wanna know how I know this . . .

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Jo Ann Keville

• Ensign
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2009, 07:21:32 AM »
Hey Ralph, you are quite right. They do take some getting used to. But once you get used to them you never want anything else. I have had mine for years now and I think they are great.

So if you decide on progressives just give yourself a few days to adjust.

Good luck.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here