News:

• April 30, 2024, 01:12:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Another Twister -My builtrightflyright version of the F. Twister - It's finished  (Read 8373 times)

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
This is the one I was building when I did the three jigging videos. Two of the three are on Walter Umland's site near the bottom of the page here: http://www.builtrightflyright.com/MiscPgs/AlignJigSet/AlignJigSet01a.htm The stab jig video isn't on there yet. I have tons of pics on this build, but the thread is on my other forum hangout. Right now I'm at that point where "The devil's in the details" gets tedious. My goal is a very capable and dependable Profile PA ship, so I've been meticulous with that in mind. It looks like I'm going to hit the mark pretty close on weight.

I'm in the process of silk-spanning the flaps right now, so after they're painted and hinges glued, I can spray the trim colors and apply the decals. Then hook up the linkages, bolt on the power plant and LG and go fly. Sounds like a week, but as usual it'll probably be two.
So here's a question: I have some tissue(ran out of silk span), and it seems stronger than silk span which I would think is good for the flaps. It has an obvious grain because it resists tearing much more in one direction. Should I run the grain lengthwise from end to end of the flaps, or crosswise? I can conceive of arguments to support both ways. Thanks for any tips on that.

Here are the two sets of plans I have for it. I'm using the one for the FP.35/.40, but there are hardly any differences. I hope it's as light as projected, I'd like to use the fp.35, because the tank cutout fits a new 3-1/2 oz. Uniflow tank I have. But after Bob Z. modded my fp.40 head, It may very well run on the small tank too.

Okay, hope y'all approve of my work. I have pics of it all in case anyone is curious about some other part of the model I haven't included here.
Rusty

Here's some pics and a couple more questions.
These pics are hosted on Photobucket. After opening a thumbnail, I think if you see a gray and white magnifying glass to the right of the picture, click it and you'll get a huge version for a closer look. You can see all my blems that way.

This fuselage came in the kit as two pieces to be laminated. My buddy Wayne Robinson built the fuse and sandwiched carbon fabric between the halves. He covered the whole fuse with light fiberglass and dope. After he built the fuse, he turned it over to me to me to finish the wing and rest of the kit.
I really like the sleek razorback look rather than the bubble canopy.
Now look at the 4th rib from center. Someone whacked it and it's chipped under the covering. Maybe it was me. At least I haven't dropped a screwdriver through it yet.

That white DC Lacquer is pretty bright and reflective. It might be heavier than dope, but it seems like the lightest paint I've ever used. I have blue red and black for trim colors.

Questions: Should I wet sand it before masking and spraying the trim colors on? Or wait until it's all painted, and wet sand before the clear dope?

I love the outboard tripler on the nose. Not only extra strength and resistance to vibrations, but at first glance, the recessed tank and engine will look like a full fuselage.

Here's a look at the fillets. Microballoons and eopxy.

The Stab fillet. I forgot I had 1/4" triangle stock for the underside, but I think the fillet will serve the same purpose. I'd already put it on there before I remembered.

Here is my only mistake so far as I can tell... the control rod hole is too far aft, so I have to move it forward and try not to ugly it up in the process. Another headslapper. GRRRRR!

My painting supplies.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 07:36:10 PM by RknRusty »
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
I say wet sand it before and after.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Of course its already painted, but a piece of scrap balsa will cover the push rod hole. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
Boy the last finishing details drag on. This is the part where I get frustrated looking for perfection and chasing self-inflicted blems like a game of whack a mole. Here it is tonight. All that's left is to paint the silver canopy, glue the hinges, get some fuel reistant clear on it, bolt on the power plant and install the control rods. Decals will come after the maiden. I've found some unusual and colorful images for my decals.

Wow, my shop's a mess. I can't stand a cluttered work area. That's a sign of my gathering impatience.

I gotta neaten up the red and blue accents on the flaps and make them a little more symmetrical.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
I've been learning to use dope for the first time, and am applying Brodak Butyrate clear and thinner with a Preval sprayer. I just this week got a compressor, but no attachments yet. So by my next build I hope to be doing some good things with my finishing techniques. The Preval wastes a lot with it's conical pattern. At least the Duplicolor Acrylic lacquer has an adjustable flat triangular spray pattern so I can put paint where I want it without half of it just wasting away in the air and painting my curtain. And it plays well with the Brodak products, as well as Lustrekote. I'll use the L.kote in the areas likely to get wet with raw fuel. Its label actually reads a lot like the Butyrate clear, and I purposely got rude and aggressive on my test board with different combinations of all three products, Brodak, Dupicolor, and Lustrekote. No combination, even in overly heavy doses, reacted badly with each other. And the Brodak butyrate clear sealed my waterslide decals with no adverse reactions at all.

After the first two coats of clear dope, I wet sanded and applied the sealed decals this morning. Then this evening I shot two more clear coats and it's looking pretty good. The dope completely hides the edges of the decals and does not obscure them at all, no milky haze. It's 101F and 37% humidity outside, and my shop is 10-15 degrees cooler inside with the doors open and a box fan on low.

Here's what she looks like tonight. The decals are on top of two light coats of dope, and underneath two more light coats right now. I'm going to give it one more thicker coat tomorrow, Lustrekote the nose and call it done with the wet work. All that's left is installing the pushrods, tank and engine. As it sits tonight, she weighs 26.7 ounces, so I'm confident the fp.35 will be right in its wheelhouse. Somewhere right about 40 ounces with a 3.5 fluid-ounce wedge tank, CF control rods, engine, and nuts & bolts. Tip weight is already installed, more or less.

Outboard side... forgive me, the fuse decal is a hurricane, not a twister. I thought it looked cool

Inboard side. The Mr. Twister decal covers a blem where I sanded too deep... it had to happen somewhere Lol

Ol' Taz on the nose. I gave him red eyes and colored him up a bit

These are some decals I may pick from to use on or under the wing. It's Monokote so I'm not on a doping schedule and they can wait, and I can keep looking for some better graphics in the meantime. I want that Blue Oyster Cult logo somewhere on it, and the rest may or may not be used. I'd like something on top of the wings too... all extra weight I haven't yet accounted for.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
The blue tornado is "Blue Oyster Cult"? I like BOC, but I didn't know that. I own one or more of their CD's. Good for a road trip, but not as good as some ZZ Top, or Bo Diddley. I don't think I've seen a BOC live video, but have seen ZZ Top video...OMG, I'd never waste my $ to see them. I assume you found the graphics online and printed the decals. Good job, you'll like the F.Twister!  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
Thanks Steve. But the BOC logo is the "Questioning Cross." Looks creepy, but there's not really any lore associated with it. I like the blue tornado too. these are all potentially for the under side of the wing. Still looking for a larger decal for the top side. I found them on Google Images and altered the colors to my liking.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
Well, darn! You shoulda made the tornado a color other than blue. Light tan would work...put a lawn chair and an ice chest lid in it...I've seen that stuff in thermals in California, as well as skydivers that went the wrong way...up! Hey, you're up after your bedtime, Mister!  Z@@ZZZ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
Well, darn! You shoulda made the tornado a color other than blue. Light tan would work...put a lawn chair and an ice chest lid in it...I've seen that stuff in thermals in California, as well as skydivers that went the wrong way...up! Hey, you're up after your bedtime, Mister!  Z@@ZZZ Steve
No Kid'n my alarm rings at 4:15. I'm a night time inspired guy, but gotta get up early for dialysis 3 times a week. But I'll nod off some in there, and again after I get home. It's Freaky Friday, usually a low pressure day at home. Gonna be too hot to fly, in the 100s all weekend again. I flew one stunning exhibition on my screaming fast Baby Streak at our meeting last Saturday. It was 104 that day and sweat was stinging my eyes. I'm lucky the humidity has been unusually low for my doping activities.

Maybe I'll adjust the color of the blue tornader.

I hope you're still catching some Zs as I write this. Dreaming of aeroplanes.
See y'all this evening, after I get doped up again.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Don Curry AMA 267060

• Commander
That blue one reminds me of the decals on my old '71 Duster.

Don

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re:
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 10:39:35 AM »
 Building machine!!  Still yet to finish my first twister lol
Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Yet another Twister - My builtrightflyright version of the F. Twister
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 01:26:09 PM »
7 Screaming Dizbusters!!! BOC at it's finest..............Nice touch!
If you wanna sing the blues(Fly Stunt) you gotta pay your dues and "I know it don't come easy"

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2016, 02:31:34 PM »
7 Screaming Dizbusters!!! BOC at it's finest..............Nice touch!
The first four albums including the live 3rd one and the 4th "Secret Treaties" are my claim to BOC greatness. There'll never be another band I'll call my all time favorite. And I Love a Whole Lotta bands... if ya know what I mean.

In high school, '72(maybe '74) I saw them right here in Columbia. Golden Earring and Lynyrd Skynrd opened for BOC. For $4 Bucks!

Building machine my axe. I've been on that one since last Fall.

And I did find a lot of Plymouth and Dodge Duster/Twister logos, but the colors were too much to adjust.

Thanks, guys.

Rockin' Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2016, 09:49:04 AM »
39.2 ounces AUW. Me and the fp.35 can live with that.
Here's the last picture from the shop. Trim flights begin this afternoon.
I still plan to add decals to the wings, and my numbers.

DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2016, 10:46:23 AM »
Nice build.  Nice weight!

When I was a kid, I saw that blue oyster cult logo as an ugly tattoo on the arm of a total a$$wipe, drug addicted, violent, dangerous, schizophrenic, thief, felon jailbird loser.  
I didn't know that it was the blue oyster cult symbol.   I thought it was a satanic symbol, or some version of a broken cross or anti-christian, questioning of God type pagan symbol.  It wasn't until I was in my early 30's before I learned that it was a stylized band logo.     Not my favorite symbol/logo.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 11:40:57 AM by Brent Williams »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2016, 10:57:50 AM »
Yeah, Brent. I used to draw it all the time while doodling. Now it's the first thing I spray on my paint test board.
I've been rushing so much to get the Twister flight-worthy, I haven't had time to finish decorating it. I'll post back tonight with how the trimming went. I'm heading out to the Fort now. And thanks for the compliments.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2016, 07:53:02 PM »
It flies! And after a couple of trim flights, it flies well. Too much flap action, so it's really twitchy. I need to slow them down in relation to the elevator. But I did get it flying well enough to put it through one full pattern. Not a pretty one, but it really flies with authority. Just too twitchy still with those flaps moving so much

It was twin maiden day. Wayne Robinson was maidening his Tom Morris Cavalier. He's more cautious than me, so he didn't do any daring maneuvers. That's one reason he has more planes in his hangar than me. A lot more of mine are in grocery bags, but none today Lol.

I'm still working on some more wing decals for both planes. I guess I better paint my tip weight cover. So should it be red or blue?

DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline John Tate

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2016, 10:15:47 PM »
Looking good. Keep up the good work.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2016, 11:21:57 PM »
Looking good. Keep up the good work.
Thanks John, we had a great day with our two maiden planes.

When we spoke on the phone this afternoon, and you asked me about your fp.40 that you gave me, it had slipped my mind that it's slated to go into my new Nobler ARF, which I want to be my backup contest plane. As the story goes, the old(now wrecked) Nobler had been flying with the same fp.35 that I put in the Twister, and it had developed a lean runaway problem. Nothing I did would tame it. After bashing the ARF, I shelved the .35 until now. Since Walter's Twister plans called for an FP.35, at 39 ounces I thought it would be the better choice, but it needs an OS#762 muffler to balance.

Then after I hung up the phone with you, I flew the Twister again, and damned if the .35 didn't run away lean, back to its old tricks. I'll try some other props on the Twister first, maybe the APC 10.5 x 4.5 is too much load, but if it keeps leaning out, I will put your .40 on the Twister with a light tongue muffler. I have the other fp.40 that Bob reworked that I can use in the Nobler. So one way or another your .40 is going to be flying soon. I just want you to know it's not going to collect dust and I appreciate you giving it to me.

So thanks again for the .40, it gives me options I wouldn't have otherwise had.

Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2016, 10:57:37 PM »
The OS #762 mufflers (left stock) are too restrictive and cause heat-induced runaway.  You might be able to open the outlet enough to make it work, but if you have the stock .46LA muffler, try a flight with that and see if it doesn't cure the runaway. Might need an ounce or two of tail weight to get a corner, but I'd bet that Tim Wescott  n~ would like it without any tail weight.  ;) VD~ S?P Steve

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2016, 11:59:10 PM »
The OS #762 mufflers (left stock) are too restrictive and cause heat-induced runaway.  You might be able to open the outlet enough to make it work, but if you have the stock .46LA muffler, try a flight with that and see if it doesn't cure the runaway. Might need an ounce or two of tail weight to get a corner, but I'd bet that Tim Wescott  n~ would like it without any tail weight.  ;) VD~ S?P Steve
Steve I didn't mention it because it was so dumb, I didn't want to expose my doofus self in public, but when I got home I realized I'd been flying with an open overflow vent while feeding muffler pressure to the tank. So I'm going to give it another try tomorrow, plumbed correctly, and we'll see how she runs.

No wonder it was so wet after every flight, it was spewing fuel from the vent, I hate to think of how much while inverted. And I have ground the stinger off the hollow 762, and opened that tail end to about 3/8" and thinned the whole muffler like an eggshell, so it's not your ordinary 762. But I do have a tongue muffler with extra holes and a tap, and an LA.46 muffler in the flight box. Several props too. I'll get it worked out. I'm thinking the fp.40 I mentioned earlier might not run long enough on my tank, where options are restricted due to the recess it mounts in. I've made the changes needed for my next trim test flights, mainly reducing the huge flap throw.

By the way, Steve, thanks for the extra 762's you sent me. They have come in very handy. I love those little things.

Stand by for a Sunday flight report.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2016, 10:41:30 AM »
Rusty,

I never seen this Thread before, how did I miss that?

You did a great job. I especially like your fillets and decals.  #^

You print them yourself, correct?

Outstanding  H^^

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2016, 07:45:55 PM »
Hi Charles, thanks a lot for the kudos, it means a lot coming from an artist such as yourself.

I gave Wayne, my flying buddy and coach, a link to your CFC forum while we were talking about artwork for our two new stunt ships. And he was drop jaw impressed with your work. I told him about how you take a lot of flak because you build and paint more than you fly, and he commented that all of that is a whole segment of the aeromodeling hobby in itself, and that your favorite creative pallet is an airframe. He mentioned the Skyfall Streak and I explained to him about how the project was an experiment with rattlecans.

Glad you like the Twister, I just got back in from, flying and sat down to read my two forums, SH and CEF. The trim changes I made for today were to reverse the rods for the flap and elevator(the plans must have been mistaken), and it tamed the plane greatly. It's much less twitchy with the reduced flap throw. And getting the plumbing right made the fp.35 very happy. It gave a perfect stunt run all day without a single needle tweak. It continues to be the first plane I don't have to nurse through the overheads, and no longer feel the need to extend the tops beyond 90 degrees behing my head. It stays tighter than I knew a plane could while powering through the top of the V8 and the HG. The HG has recently become my best consistently repeatable stunt, and on the down-leg, when it's rushing up on the ground, I know with confidence that when I flick the up line it is going to turn. So with all trimming so far, this plane is superior to any ship I've flown in my short stuttering PA career.

Bob Z came out with us today, and it's always a treat to see what he brings and watch his downright frenetic style of shredding the air. In fact he's my only photo subject today, with his Fox powered Argus.

And Blood on the Wing!
Sounds like a Doors song and a Pink Floyd song merged names Lol. I'm always bleeding on something. It's how I can tell I'm still alive!

« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 08:20:20 PM by RknRusty »
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2016, 08:47:37 PM »
Rusty,

Absolutely, you're efforts with rattle cans is why I tried them. I used RC's on the Mig-3 also.

That Twister. Gotta keep in mind it has a great airfoil, so it will be a pleasure to fly. I always thought about taking a Twister and turning it into an Ag Cat.

You take good photos.  H^^

If you need peel n stick names and AMA numbers for that Twister, just let me know. I owe you graphics anyway.

PM me.

Charles
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2016, 08:51:33 PM »
PM coming soon, maybe tomorrow. I have to draw a picture to illustrate what I'd like.Thanks Charles.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2016, 10:45:27 AM »

And Blood on the Wing!
Sounds like a Doors song and a Pink Floyd song merged names Lol. I'm always bleeding on something. It's how I can tell I'm still alive!

Rusty, it's no coincidence I make my airplanes red..... lol

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2016, 02:50:43 PM »
Hey, there's the kitbox Twister, good to see it in the Nevada sun. Nice red DR-1 too. I built a static model of it when I was a kid and was really proud of it. I took it to my high school history class and the teacher lost it. For the next two years he kept telling me it was up in the attic somewhere, but he didn't give a s#!t. Coach/History teacher. There is a little of my red blood sealed up inside of "Taz," as my flying buddy calls it. I hope never to expose it to light again.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2016, 03:33:53 PM »
...If you need peel n stick names and AMA numbers for that Twister, just let me know. I owe you graphics anyway.

PM me.

Charles
So I did. I drew up the concept I had for script on the wing with the plane's name. My flying buddy had taken to calling it Tazz, or Taz, I had to decide how many Zs were in it and came up with the following scribble:

I wasn't happy with my "T", so Charles used a font to fix it, but a couple of people, like my wife, have looked at it and said, "Jazz?" So I might do a little nip-tuck on the T , but he gave me plenty of samples in different colors and sizes to work with, as well as my AMA numbers for the other side. It looks great.

Here'show it looks on the wing. The silver looks great in the sunlight.

First I applied it, and then watched Youtube videos on how to apply vinyl. I had a few small bubbles, but I popped them with an exacto blade and they all disappeared. The silver on white looks good, sublime rather than bold, which is what I wanted. I wish the rules allowed smaller numbers. I haven't applied them yet and was considering putting them on the fuselage until I was told they have to be on both sides, which I don't want. They'll barely fit on the flap, so I just need to experiment. I also have some B&W checkerboard to apply somewhere too.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2016, 03:50:33 PM »
That's bad a** Rusty!
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2016, 05:00:44 PM »
Thanks Chris. I went out and looked at it after I wrote that post, and started to pick at the inside curl of the T, and then decided to leave it alone.
Since the whole thing is cleaner than it probably ever will be again, I'm going to put the rest of my decals and checkers on it and call it done.

My CG is 7/8" aft of the plans and I notice the nose rises when the engine cuts, so I am going to put a heavy acorn nut on the prop screw. That will move it a tad. If I decide to try more I can change to a heavier muffler, but I like the way the engine runs with the small one it has. The tank has developed an air leak that caused me some early burps the other day, so that needs addressing too. It has about 15 flights on it now, and I'm getting it in pretty good trim. It has too much flap deflection, so I'll address that too, before I fly again. makes it too twitchy. I've flown a couple of patterns but they kind of suck, however with a little trim and more flights I think I have a plane that's going to help me advance. Fwiw, Sunday's flights are on my Tube channel(the globe under my avatar).
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2016, 06:54:21 PM »
Rusty,

You don't have to pin the bubbles, they will all go away from the sun and heat in a short time. Flat and drum tight.

I can send you a different "T" if you like. No big deal.

You were right about the silver, looks good, really good.  H^^

Charles

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2016, 07:03:53 PM »
Rusty,

You don't have to pin the bubbles, they will all go away from the sun and heat in a short time. Flat and drum tight.

I can send you a different "T" if you like. No big deal.

You were right about the silver, looks good, really good.  H^^

Charles
Hey Charles, I just sent you a PM as your post popped up. Great, I'll set it in the sun tomorrow. In the PM I asked about fixing them with a shot of dope, but I guess I should wait till it's finished setting and the bubbles laying down. There aren't many, and only tiny ones.
Thanks for the great work.
Rusty

P.S. Thanks, but don't worry about the "T." It's fine like it is.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2016, 10:02:48 PM »
Looking forward to seeing you in the circle at Hville this Oct. VD~ VD~
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2016, 10:20:45 PM »
Hey Mike
Yeah me too, it's coming fast. Wayne is gonna be gunning for us, so we better both gang up on him.
How about Sam, is he working on the Beginner pattern?
See you there,
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2016, 08:18:18 AM »
We have stalled a bit on Sam's training. We have not done much flying this summer at all. Either too hot or raining.With cooler temps we hope to get back at it hard this fall.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2016, 09:59:05 AM »
Mike L
south west of you a bit, I can RELATE

I did manage to get grandson Jackson up early enough one morning and out to the flying site for a few tanks of fuel on a 1/2a Ringmaster biplane and Lil Jumpin Bean

the super hot got replaced last week with RAIN and lots of it.

Did you see scruffy hippy Rusty with sweat in eyes trying desperately to keep the new Twister out of the dirt?

Are you planning on the Tulsa vintage combat event?

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2016, 10:24:24 AM »

Did you see scruffy hippy Rusty with sweat in eyes trying desperately to keep the new Twister out of the dirt?
Haaaa! Now that is an Egregious misrepresentation of the facks!
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2016, 02:28:20 PM »
Mike L
south west of you a bit, I can RELATE

I did manage to get grandson Jackson up early enough one morning and out to the flying site for a few tanks of fuel on a 1/2a Ringmaster biplane and Lil Jumpin Bean

the super hot got replaced last week with RAIN and lots of it.

Are you planning on the Tulsa vintage combat event?

Can't do Tulsa, Huntersville in Oct. will be the only combat contest I can get to.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2016, 07:34:10 PM »
This is it, the completed project that I started the thread about... at least as complete as any PA ship out of my shop gets.
I started to post this by request in CFC Graphics, regarding pictures of the decals and lettering, but figure this is as good a time as any for a wrapup, and we can move along to other members' builds.

Hi Charles and all other interested readers.

Here's what she looks like now. I crammed about all the decals and lettering that will fit without being garish. The Silver vinyl you made for me is great. No sign at all of oil penetration under its edges, as I was concerned about when I asked about sealing. Whenever I put numbers on, they'll be on the greasier side.

I'm pretty much finished flight trimming with only 18 flights on it, and it flew pretty well right off the table except for a huge flap/elev. ratio issue. Always little things left to try. But I was cut short Thursday when the sun was setting, the best time all day to fly, and a damn wheel came off when I was landing. Flipped over like a 1/2A. Yes I pre-flit it, the wheel collar didn't seem loose

I need to stuff a 4 oz tank into the recess, the 3.5 oz. is burping in the Clover. The 4 is as big as will fit into the cutout. The 3/4 ounce acorn nut on the prop, and the decals kicked it up over 40 ounces, but well within my power range, and the C/G is still 5/8" aft of the plans, but I like it. I didn't add that weight until I noticed it climbing when the power cut. The fp.35 sings a perfect stunt tune all the way through the pattern. The needle setting is two clicks in either direction away from a light breeze and then it's ready for wind or dead calm. I call that a user friendly engine. As opposed to the Supertigre crowd, I like the clicks of the OS needles. They're nice and stiff too, so no tuning fork going on in there. I'm using an APC 10.5x4.5, which I thought might be too much, but it seems perfect in the 90-100f air.

Here's the tank in its recess. You can see how the plans said to hook up the rods at the flap horn. It resulted in WAY more flap than elevator, making it twitchy as hell to say the least. I knew better, but the whole kit had neen so perfect, I went with it after many trips to the plans to make sure I wasn't imagining it. Now it's hooked up like it should be and flies much better.

This is the first plane I have ever flown that I don't have to nurse it even slightly in the overheads like the V8, HG, and Clover. I can now fly through my top loops without having to buy some shape saving energy by flying behind 90 degrees high. And harder corners in the squares don't send its stomach into its throat, resulting in the best square 8s I've ever flown. For some reason my outside squares still suck though. Same with my overhead 8s, but that's just me and my Intermediate ugliness.

As good as all that is, I wish I could get back into the minus 40 oz. range, because I think it was even better there. Maybe if I put on a heavier muffler and lose the acorn nut, but I hate to change anything on the engine. It has a lightened eggshell thin, OS #762 muffler with a 3/8" hole where the stinger was. Like I said though, still little things to address.

So here's what she looks like. now. Back up the thread, I posted a picture of my pencil artwork that I sent to Charles and he turned it into the silver vinyl name adorning the inboard wing top and outboard wing bottom. It looks fabulous in the sunlight. The checkers on the outboard tip and under its inboard armpit are Monokote trim... there's some of the weight. The rest are waterslide decals made on my inkjet printer. They will eventually fade, but they look good now. Tornadoes and the Tazmanian Devil, thus its name, Tazz. And I,e been dying to put a Blue oyster Cult-Questioning cross on something, so there. My all time favorite rock band for their first four albums, including the third live one. No the symbol has no ancient evil assocoations, it just looks cool.

I never planned on the American flag there, but I accidentally botched the paint one day with an acetone spill. So I patched over the ugly with a flag. If I'd planned tor the flag, it would be in a much nicer place.

I love the 2" wide nose on this baby. Besides looking good, it stops any vibrations dead and is strong too. It goes back behind the highpoint ot the wing. This kit by Walter is Fancherized plus.

Charles, your silver Tazz and swirl look great, thanks.
A few more flights and she'll be ready for competition. It could answer the call right now if it had to.
So we can call this a wrap. If you  want to talk about it, that'll be cool too, but not much more to report as a build thread. The whole detailed build is in "Models and Modeling" oslt, over at coxengineforum.com. Click the "Do not show" button in the nagging log-in  popup.
Rusty

Extra: Video.
Please don't judge too harshly, these were only the 8th and 9th flights, still with the harsh flap settings:

« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 02:46:13 PM by RknRusty »
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here