News:

• April 26, 2024, 06:49:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Worlds in France  (Read 5280 times)

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Worlds in France
« on: July 17, 2018, 11:40:10 AM »
My view of the Worlds in France
I have attended the 1984 and 2004 world championships in the US
Here no hard corner no score
First is the K factor used in FAI scoring. In AMA you can loose a contest on landing inverted flight or takeoff all have the same value.
Here in FAI I can spot you those maneuvers and catch  you with a very hard wing over and triangles
A case.  Chris Rud flys a real accurate pattern with the best rounds here. Wen he flys loops they are round
His model is not the hardes cornering model but accurate. A pleasure to watch
AMA scoring he would be able to be in the top 3 for sure in FAI he is 8th to this point

The added K factor to individual maneuvers puts him at a disadvantage as his strength is a weakness in FAI

To me his corners are accurate and tight.  I watched him today fly a beautiful pattern in my AMA mind,this pattern was in the high 590 FAI translation 1,060  but No it got 970+. I was shocked. I knew he nailed it
But was extremely disappointed wen the score was given to Chriss

This is a corner corner corner contest.
Up to this point 8th, he is in the finals and not bad so far

My AMA mind says higher placing my FAI reality is very different
In the future if you can’t out corner Paul Walker you may be disappointed in FAI competition

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Worlds in France
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 12:00:53 PM »
World championship
The fun part
The soccer World Cup between France and Croatia was shown on a giant screen at the flying site
The plan was to stop the competition early so all could watch the game
Being Americans we were not big Football ( soccer) fans we thought it strange that you would stop the contest for the game.
Thunderstorms  recked that plan as we had several 1/2 hour delays. Sine the team members had finished their flight we retreated to the eating area and the big screen,while others continued to fly in the competition.
The large screen was open to all,had many non modelers in attendance
Wen watching American football in a crowd on a large screen we make lots of noise
The crowd in attendance cheered wen France Scored a goal but with a level of restraint not common to me. Some waving of flags a little noise.
At the end of game more cheering but they dint party like a Super Bowl crowd would
Just a little info on the worlds.
And yes they were going to stop the contest and resume the round the next day. May have given advantage or disadvantage to some

I was happy that the French won. Now the younger crowd on the roads were a little wild with fast driving girls hanging out car windows waving French flags
much car horns blowing. Orestes and I got into the joy of it by cheering and blowing car horn
That was fun to see a country selebrate   
Would of loved to have been in Paris were they really partied to the next Dai

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 12:32:35 PM »
World championship
The fun part
The soccer World Cup between France and Croatia was shown on a giant screen at the flying site
The plan was to stop the competition early so all could watch the game
Being Americans we were not big Football ( soccer) fans we thought it strange that you would stop the contest for the game.
Thunderstorms  recked that plan as we had several 1/2 hour delays. Sine the team members had finished their flight we retreated to the eating area and the big screen,while others continued to fly in the competition.
The large screen was open to all,had many non modelers in attendance
Wen watching American football in a crowd on a large screen we make lots of noise
The crowd in attendance cheered wen France Scored a goal but with a level of restraint not common to me. Some waving of flags a little noise.
At the end of game more cheering but they dint party like a Super Bowl crowd would
Just a little info on the worlds.
And yes they were going to stop the contest and resume the round the next day. May have given advantage or disadvantage to some

I was happy that the French won. Now the younger crowd on the roads were a little wild with fast driving girls hanging out car windows waving French flags
much car horns blowing. Orestes and I got into the joy of it by cheering and blowing car horn
That was fun to see a country selebrate   
Would of loved to have been in Paris were they really partied to the next Dai
Really...this is your idea of fun and where you want to be???https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjL_maJHcVw

Not my idea of fun at all.........2 Dead, many injured R%%%%
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 12:57:29 PM »
I’m 3:5 hours away from Paris . It looked fun to me. Were we are is farming region
I don’t speak French so all news is “French “ to me LOL
Who ever you are lightin up it’s my version of fun
I love Indy cars people die there wen car went into the stands 
You kill joy
Jose modesto

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 01:21:58 PM »
Their is  more behind those riots  then a Soccer championship .

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 01:29:19 PM »
I’m 3:5 hours away from Paris . It looked fun to me. Were we are is farming region
I don’t speak French so all news is “French “ to me LOL
Who ever you are lightin up it’s my version of fun
I love Indy cars people die there wen car went into the stands 
You kill joy
Jose modesto
Kill joy?
I know exactly where you are. I lived 90 miles from there for three years and have many friends attending the Worlds. My point was be glad you were in a region that happily celebrates their Country's win and not in Paris where they will use any excuse to riot, protest, and do harm to innocent people. Getting killed at an Indy car race by a race car accident is nothing like being in a riot intentionally caused by idiots. Enjoy your time in Landres
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 01:34:00 PM »
My reference was that I watched the game with modelers from all over the world on a large screen at the worlds
The reference to Paris was the crowd size   It looked like New Years Eve in My beloved New York City
Lots of fun
As I stated I don’t speak French and haven’t watched TV in over a week
Yes the celebration at the field was lots of fun
So what’s your problem with me
My fun your hate
Jose modes

Rick_Huff

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 01:49:50 PM »
Jose,
Thanks for sharing your views of the worlds.  Please keep it up, it's great to hear how our fliers are doing.

Rick

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 02:20:32 PM »
Jose,
Ignore the chaff.  Fun is fun, and winning the world cup certainly deserves a celebration.  Having fun with people having fun is not a crime!

Please don't let the spoiler disturb your trip.  Please continue your contact with us "stay at homes" we very much appreciate it.

European judging has always seemed to focus on what they consider to be weaknesses of their opponents.  It used to "be Loud and fast"  now it's corners!  They have never seemed to concentrate on the Stunt pattern as a whole!  When the Americans flew corners they complained that we were loud and fast and not smooth!  Now that the American emphasis seems to be on corners as well as smoothness they simply complain that our corners as not as tight as theirs!  It's the old "mine is bigger than yours" rationale and the European judges (in my humble opinion especially in France where they seem to have a basic basic hatred of Americans) seem to flip flop on issues so they can always claim that they are right because they are "French"!  No I'm not kidding, I lived in Europe for many years.  You should have heard the crazy rhetoric when they pulled out of NATO in the 60's!

Keep on keep'n on !

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 02:40:37 PM »
My reference was that I watched the game with modelers from all over the world on a large screen at the worlds
The reference to Paris was the crowd size   It looked like New Years Eve in My beloved New York City
Lots of fun
As I stated I don’t speak French and haven’t watched TV in over a week
Yes the celebration at the field was lots of fun
So what’s your problem with me
My fun your hate
Jose modes

I'm not sure how you interpreted my post as "hate" and that I had a "problem" with you.
I merely informed you that it was probably more fun and safer where you are.
I said nothing negative about you or your experience at the Worlds.
My original wording probably could have been better but it wasn't meant to personal HB~>
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 04:31:14 PM »
Hi Jose:

Thanks for the updates and perspective. Just a question: I noted that Samantha didn't post a score in round 2. Was there a problem?

Glad to see Chris and Orestes doing well; the finals are a whole other game; they just might do really well.

Thanks - Bob Hunt

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 05:14:27 PM »
Bob,
I heard there was a battery connection problem.  Got it resolved, but a little late for the refly.  She did get her flight today.
John
John Paris

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2018, 06:23:55 PM »
Whew! Thanks, John; it would be a shame to go over there and only get one official flight. We are all pulling for her to have a great experience.

Later - Bob

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2018, 06:41:56 PM »
I'm not sure how you interpreted my post as "hate" and that I had a "problem" with you.
I merely informed you that it was probably more fun and safer where you are.
I said nothing negative about you or your experience at the Worlds.
My original wording probably could have been better but it wasn't meant to personal HB~>

Hmmmmm....All this concern and advice from a "Gentleman" from California who won't even use his real name.  What are you afraid of?   D>K D>K

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2018, 07:44:10 PM »
Jose,

I agree 100% the world's is a great time, a great honor, and an awesome experience. As far as FAI goes, our way is far superior. The world should follow our lead, not the other way around. Every maneuver counts the same, we are better organized, more efficient, and we don't take 2 hour breaks for lunch. Now, that being said, in FAI there is a food and beer tent at every event.... I could get behind that!

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2018, 08:19:33 PM »
Derek, just curious, why do you think the K factor is something that's bad? Surely something that takes more skill should be rewarded with more points?
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2018, 08:24:17 PM »
Really...this is your idea of fun and where you want to be???https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjL_maJHcVw

Not my idea of fun at all.........2 Dead, many injured R%%%%

That sort of thing happens after almost every super bowl, NBA finals, etc. too. I have never quite understood why a team you like winning a game induces someone to set their own neighborhoods on fire, but they do, time after time. It's certainly not unique to soccer or France.

Brett

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2018, 08:28:13 PM »
Yup, and probably even more tragic destruction & loss of life if the "home team" loses.  ???  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2018, 09:01:31 PM »
Derek, just curious, why do you think the K factor is something that's bad? Surely something that takes more skill should be rewarded with more points?

A perfect takeoff is just as difficult as a perfect square eight... Actually, I usually score higher on the square eights...

K factors make the pattern simple.

In an AMA pattern, you must concentrate on every maneuver, in FAI, you only need to be good at half of the pattern. So, I ask you, which is more simple?

Derek

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2018, 09:42:25 PM »
Watching some video over on the Barton site they had a clip of Samantha and her Dad putting in a pattern.  To me it looked like she was not comfortable with what she has.  The again first time in Worlds competition and a strange country.   I hope she doesn't get discouraged. D>K

Also there was one of the Gilbert Team,  Joe and Colleen.  Did not look like the Joe flying I have seen in the past. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2018, 10:13:08 PM »
Watching some video over on the Barton site they had a clip of Samantha and her Dad putting in a pattern.  To me it looked like she was not comfortable with what she has.  The again first time in Worlds competition and a strange country.   I hope she doesn't get discouraged. D>K

Also there was one of the Gilbert Team,  Joe and Colleen.  Did not look like the Joe flying I have seen in the past. D>K

What site is that? The rest of us want to see it, too.

Brett

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2018, 10:38:42 PM »
Kill joy?
I know exactly where you are. I lived 90 miles from there for three years and have many friends attending the Worlds. My point was be glad you were in a region that happily celebrates their Country's win and not in Paris where they will use any excuse to riot, protest, and do harm to innocent people. Getting killed at an Indy car race by a race car accident is nothing like being in a riot intentionally caused by idiots. Enjoy your time in Landres

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2018, 10:49:14 PM »
  What site is that? The rest of us want to see it, too.

Brett

http://controlline.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14544

Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2018, 10:51:59 PM »
Here's the live stream link from the UK Barton site

Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2018, 10:54:45 PM »
Another live(archived) link:

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2018, 11:01:21 PM »
The site
Fruit trees everywhere Orestes and I have been eating 4 different types of cherries. One type I gues we short not  eaten LOL the green one are very effective LOL
Samantha had a connection problem lost her flight on the grass  Igor Berger to the rescue. Igor troubleshooted the problem got it solved. Not in time to get that flight in. Her three away flight
Yesterday was windy with lots of turbulence knife edge flyin in level flight
You NJ guys who are circle Bueners know what it’s like to fly in wind sorounded  by trees 

Well here there are gaps in the trees you get a funnel effect level flight is interesting
There is a 13 year old junior from China that is scary. No fear the wing over goes for ever then explosive corner  wow
Typical new age kid  his model lost a wheel on takeoff. Rubber came of wheel and jammed on wheel pant ( inboard) plane turns inside circle   Luckily models stoped in grass motor shut off
We go to practice circle and there is dad working on plane. While son is on phone. Very new age.
They solve that problem. Take a practice flight now motor goes south.  Same scene. Dad removing Axi motor son on phone. Yes they solved the problem good now
There Igor system set here are very different then the way Paul sets up. With Axi they sound like formula one car 4 to five gear changes in a loop in a square eight they use the entire gear box. Interesting to hear
The Chinese junior is challenging Igor for the titles wing over inverted turn. I have never seen models fly that tight. Of course some times they miss. But wen on really amazing.
Jose modesto

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2018, 11:23:09 PM »
Good to see theyve got a campsite , for the hillbillies , commies and other non decadent individuals .

Do you look RIGHT or LEFT over there .  ;D S?P LL~ H^^

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2018, 11:28:51 PM »
You can also watch on the giant screen  that is nice
Derek they also have wine  I wait to after the comp lol
Another funny thing. I go to the field tent for adult refreshments. But I’m passed every time. I’m waving money to no avail
Christ off of Germany ( he speaks Spanish ) says you have to say please first then will will pay attention to you. It worked. My vocabulary is expanding
Hey I like that one hour  lunch break. At least is not spanin it could be 2.5 hours lol
Last thing you are allowed to practice on official circles during breaks. The list is passed among friends then posted. We never know wen that list is made. A little inside baseball
Will relay in incident later about me removing flying list and stomping. A little ugly American on my part but will not be cheated out of a flight
Jose modesto

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2018, 01:17:57 AM »
Hi Jose:

Thanks for the updates and perspective. Just a question: I noted that Samantha didn't post a score in round 2. Was there a problem?

Glad to see Chris and Orestes doing well; the finals are a whole other game; they just might do really well.

Thanks - Bob Hunt
[/quote

Bob,

Samantha had to take two attempts for the second round.  She attempted a practice flight earlier that morning, on one of the off site practice circles and had a problem what Steve and Samantha thought with a battery.  Replaced the battery and flew the practice flight without incident.  Then on the official circle, another battery, and the system would not start.  She had to take an attempt.  With FAI rules, the pilot has 30 minutes before the next attempt starts.  Steve spent considerable effort to install several batteries, but to no avail.  At the end of that 30 minute period, Samantha still had an airplane that would not start, so was given a 0 for that second round.

With the help of Igor Burger, a pin in one of the connectors was found to be broken.  Igor loaned a soldering iron to Steve and the problem was quickly fixed.  There were no further problems for her practice flights and the final two rounds.  During qualifications, each pilot gets 2 flights on each of 2 circles.  The qualifying scores are then based on the best flight from each of the two circles.  So, Samantha put in good flights on the next two rounds, getting a very respectable score on the 4th round flight which she needed to replace the 0 score from two day earlier.  She finished 8th among the 12 Juniors.

Keith
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 03:46:46 PM by Trostle »

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2018, 05:15:03 AM »
Thanks for the clarification, Keith! Sam did good!

Bob

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2018, 05:39:13 AM »
May be I can add something to that problem with connector.

Samantha flew on another circle, so I did not see that problem myself, but they told me that “model does not starts only beeps instead of starting”. I had already such case with timer on model of my friend, and problem was broken cable from timer. So I expected the same problem and I wanted simply quickly replace timer (I have always replacement with me on contest for such cases). However I tried to find the place with problem by touching / moving all paces on way from timer to ESC with jetibox connected on Y cable and inspecting what comes from timer, but I did not. Instead of that all worked flawlessly.

Then I decided to make short test run and it also worked well. Then I again disconnected all, restarted whole system and wanted to try test again … and motor did not start. Then I saw that battery connector goes in and out very easy, without expected force. And that was problem. It was XT 60 connector which should have axial X cut on pin, but all pins were compressed without gap. We tried knife to make there little space and all worked again. Unfortunately after few inserting I saw the same problem again, so it was clear that XT60 is not useful. It was conversion connector from XT60 to deans.

That shows how misleading and difficult to find can be such thing. If model shows any signs of malfunction, it is necessary to find real reason and not to risk model. I think it was fortunate that she lost that flight, I still thing that she lost that flight, but probably saved her model. The rest was easy, Steve replaced deans connector to spare XT60 (which he fortunately had on some spare cable) and model worked well.

Unfortunately judges went down on that circle in second flight, so probably she could have better points in first attempt, but few points less and having model is better. 

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2018, 07:08:46 AM »
Thanks, Igor for that story. It goes to show that anything can go wrong at any time, and that being prepared to replace or trouble shoot as required is a necessary thing at contests.

Thanks also for helping Sam to get her stuff going. That is the very best part of International competition; everyone helping each other. You are a class act my friend...

Bob

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2018, 08:06:42 AM »
Thanks, Igor for that story. It goes to show that anything can go wrong at any time, and that being prepared to replace or trouble shoot as required is a necessary thing at contests.

Thanks also for helping Sam to get her stuff going. That is the very best part of International competition; everyone helping each other. You are a class act my friend...

Bob

I think I must change mind and stop helping especially Marko and Chinese guys :- ))))))))))))))))

VD~ VD~ VD~

... and Orestes ....  or who knows who will come to Wloclawek in 2 years with my electric >:D

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2018, 09:02:28 AM »
So you will fly in WC in Poland?

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2018, 09:05:29 AM »
So you will fly in WC in Poland?

Hopefully we will have new guys flying, but in any case I want go there. Hopefully TM, but who knows :-P

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2018, 11:08:01 AM »
Joe      You should have done at least one day at Tour de France.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2018, 04:39:25 PM »
Jose,
Did our team use the practice facilities away from the official site?

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2018, 08:43:24 PM »
Paul. Yes our team used the practice facilities.
Two sites were available with 2 circle each. They were grass soccer fields
One was walking distance to official site. 150 yards from the combat circles. Could not walk the 150 yds as it was a weat field. You could walk on road 10 minute walk. A plus was the supermarket adjacent to the field.
The other field was 15 kilometer away. Orestes shared a story about you flying there in a previous world competition and rejecting further use.
We basically had unlimited practice available to our team
Orestes prior to the beginning of the competition would fly 12 flights a day. Some days more than that
Richard,joe G,Rudd and Samantha used the field
With Richard using field at a greater rate than the others.
For a world competition notorious for lack of practice space this was ideal
Most days no more than four planes per circle.
The field 15 kilt away from official site was less used but a little challenging,if wind came over the trees on a small mountain that bordered the site could be challenging.
If you wanted to practice you could.
Jose modesto

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2018, 12:00:41 AM »
Which story did Orestes share about that "event"?

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2018, 12:16:00 AM »
The soccer field 15 k from official site,sorounded by trees and the small mountain
Much turbulence wen wind came over the mountain covered with large trees
You uttered some well chosen words.
Jose modesto

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2018, 09:02:14 AM »
The soccer field 15 k from official site,sorounded by trees and the small mountain
Much turbulence wen wind came over the mountain covered with large trees
You uttered some well chosen words.
Jose modesto

Is that all? 

Was that the soccer field surrounded by trees on three sides, and building on the fourth side?

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2018, 10:00:35 AM »
 The PG version lol

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2018, 12:55:11 PM »
The PG version lol

We went out there once and the gates were locked. There were also others waiting.
No happy campers that day!

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2018, 01:03:48 PM »
There were also others waiting.

And I know who they were :-P

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2018, 02:14:03 PM »
And I know who they were :-P

Really Igor....you were NOT a happy camper?

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2018, 03:28:11 PM »
I cannot do a better job at describing this contest than what Jose has already posted in this thread.  The corners displayed by the top half dozen to ten flyers at this contest coupled with how deep and consistent and accurate those corners are is remarkable.  The second recording above posted by Brent Williams at 10:54 on July 17 shows what I think Jose and I are trying to explain.  On that recording, at about the -10 minute remaining point is the start of a practice flight by what I am sure is Igor Burger with his Max Bee.  Though there is some distortion in the frame because of the wide angle lens used, the camera is in a good location to view the shapes of most of the maneuvers.  You will be able to see how deep that model goes into the bottom corners, the flat pull outs at the consistently 4 to 5 foot level -- EVERY TIME!  The turns are almost instantaneous.

Our shining light over there was Chris Rud.  His early practice flights were impressive, but left room for improvement which occurred over the next several days of practice.  During qualifications, his first flight on the paved circle left room for improvement.  His second flight, he posted one of the highest flight scores on the grass circle.  He got a strong score on his second flight on the paved circle which assured his qualifying and finished 7th overall in the qualifying rounds.

The organizers had scheduled each of the four qualifying rounds to be completed on each of the first four days of competition.  All three rounds of the finals were scheduled to be on the fifth and final day of competition.  The organizers realized by noon break of the fourth day that the schedule they had established would require the judges to judge the three flights of the 15 Senior finalists (45 flights total) plus the three flights of the three Junior finalists (9 flights) for a total of 54 flights on that final day of competition.  This was over the maximum number of flights (50) a judge was to observe allowed by the FAI rules.  (It was not certain, though probable at that time, that a Junior would be in the top 15 finalists which would bring the total number of flights during the final day to 51.)  The decision was made that the first round of the finals would be flown "one hour" after the last flight of the qualification rounds on that fourth day.  So, the judges on that fourth day had to work the 42 or 43 flights of the fourth round plus the 15 flights of the finalists first round plus the 2 other juniors (given that one junior was in the top 15 finalists) for a total of 59 or 60 flights judged that fourth day.  Remarkable decision.  10 of the 15 finalists posted their lowest score during that first round flown late that fourth day of qualifications where the wind was not a significant factor.

On Finals day, Chris had time to go to the practice circles to put in several flights.  Those two flights were the best I had seen Chris fly all week.  As Jose mentioned above, his rounds were above reproach.  His bottoms were all at 5 feet or even slightly less, clean and level, the best he had flown all week.  Then, on his first official flight that day, he missed several bottoms and did not fly some of those bottoms level, scored essentially the same as his first official the previous day.  His second flight that day (third finals flight), was slightly better and was scored better, but still did not show the same as he had practiced earlier that day.  However, his total score placed him in 7th place.  If he could have scored his second flight as well as his third flight, he would have moved up a couple of places.  A very respectable showing given the two previous world champions were ahead of him that also were against some very strong competition.

Keith

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2018, 07:37:26 PM »
Is that all? 

Was that the soccer field surrounded by trees on three sides, and building on the fourth side?

Sounds like the soccer field in Mercy le Bas.
I flew three flights there the first day. Nasty air. Pretty much impossible to actually practice, even flying level could get interesting.
One of the NZ pilots showed up as we were leaving and he asked me what direction the wind was blowing, I told him all directions.

The field in Piennes close to the the contest site was very nice, just that the goal posts were pretty close so you dare not wander.
Ruslan came within about 3' on one flight. We started yelling and he actually moved closer to them, thinking that we were warning him about getting too close to the other circle!
Fortunately he had the smarts to climb to about 20' when we started yelling, so we were able to get him back were he needed to be.

Pat MacKenzie

MAAC 8177

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2018, 01:06:42 AM »
What was nice at the soccer fields at Mercy le Bas was that was not popular due what Pat said in that it is really difficult to do any objective practicing there. Coming from Johannesburg, South Africa, it sure is different flying at around 5800 ft. asl., so the fields were open most of the time and we were able to spend a lot of time there to get our props and rpm sorted out. There are actually 3 soccer fields there. Two next to each other and then there's a small fence and one more field that was just fine, and if the wind behaved, it was flyable. Fortunately the weather was mostly good for the champs.

I had stated categorically that I had retired from serious competition after Perth, and also that I would never go back to Landres to fly again. The official circles are really difficult to fly well on if there is any wind. One of our club members Evert Scholtz decided after less than 2 years of flying stunt that he would love to fly in the world champs and asked me to please accompany him to help him. He put in a lot of work into building 6 Max Bee's and was so keen to go that I felt that I should join him. I had no competitive plane so I agreed to go as team manager and coach. A few weeks before we left, I managed to get my Newtron 2 model that I flew in Perth to fly a lot better by making new wings on my cnc foam cutter. It was still rather heavy but now grooved very well and flew a lot better. Our team placing would also move up a bit with two pilots, and in the end we enjoyed the world champs a lot. Our scores were not great but more or less to be expected from us. We ended up in 60th and 61st place. Interestingly.............our competitor numbers were 60 and 61. Hmmm......could be a conspiracy theory in there somewhere!  S?P

One improvement from the organizers was that they turned the previous official grass circle into a speed circle and used the grass practice circle as the 2nd official circle. The old grass circle was hell to fly on with the tall trees right next to it. I'm not sure but I think that there were less prangs this time. It is however still a real challenge to fly on any of these two circles with any kind of wind. The grass circle is surrounded by trees so you get a funnel effect and just can't predict which way your model will blow, especially in the high up maneuvers. The scores were quite a bit lower on this circle as well.

For me what was special was catching up with old friends. I got to meet Jose Modesto for the first time and I always enjoy spending time with Keith Trostle. I also enjoyed meeting Joe and Colleen Gilbert plus Samantha Hines. I watched Samantha fly a few times and she flies really well. I sure hope that she sticks with this hobby because she has plenty of talent. The last time I was able to spend time with Richard Oliver was 2004 in Muncie so it was great to see him again too. I was particularly impressed by Chris Rudd. He's a first-class stunt pilot and his tuned pipe setup really worked well on all of the flights that I watched. Orestes is always a pleasure to be around. Such a nice guy and he sure can fly incredibly well. I did however miss the "regular's" Paul and David who set the such a high standard in the stunt world for so long.

In summary I believe that this world champs was certainly the best one held in Landres. There were a lot of small frustrating glitches but overall, I believe that the the French organizers with the team of volunteers from many other European countries did a good job. My friend Evert enjoyed his "baptism of fire" and wants to keep going so our trip was worth it!

Keith R

Keith R

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here