News:

• April 26, 2024, 06:07:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Winter project: simplified flight box, board or...  (Read 1381 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Winter project: simplified flight box, board or...
« on: September 16, 2018, 05:59:19 PM »
       Hello All:

My Mate and I have come to the conclusion that it is past time that we stop hauling around so much flight gear.  We have multiple boxes, tool boxes, milk cartons etc. to carry to and from our flying sessions.

I know that Combat fliers have small boards that have fuel, props, glow igniter, plugs and perhaps a set of lines attached to a board. We have been "hoarding" stuff that we will very seldom need whenever flying. A friend of mine only carries a glow igniter and a glove. He gets one flip starts everytime!

Let's hear about what you carry for flying. KISS! Some photos would also be great!

Be well,

Frank McCune

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
Re: Winter project: simplified flight box, board or...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 10:52:48 PM »
Hiya Frank,

There are obviously different ways to approach the flight gear issue.  and Ill give a few.

My dad built a starter/flight box out of 1/8" lauan plywood.  It holds a 12v battery that powers a power panel for glow ignitor and starter.  It also has a top deck for tach, fuel syringe and other stuff needed to get a model started, and a pull-out drawer for basic tools, enough to tighten props, change glow plugs, and so on.  Any maintenance heavier than that should be done off the field.  The box is only about a cubic foot in size, so its small and light.  He also has boxes for handles, props, and other tools, spare parts and so on.  All of those don't necessarily need to leave the car but theyre there if needed.

I am a minimalist; I have one box and a milk crate for fuel.  My box carries a few spare parts for the few models I fly, handles for those models, tools and flight equipment.  I go out to the circle with a small ignitor, tach and syringe. 

My best advise, because it sounds like you are looking to consolidate, is build your own box.  Determine what all needs to go in it, and what functionalities it needs to perform.  Then draw it out on a large piece of paper or on the back of some old plans.  By making your own, it can be, hold, and do whatever you want.

I just finished building a storage and transport box for my FF gliders.  Due to the shape of the models and how they break down, the box would have a lot of unused space in them, which would be kind of wasteful.  I also needed a dedicated tool/equipment box, as I was doing the same thing that you described with cardboard boxes and such.  What I came up with effectively kills two birds with one stone.  It is also 1/8" lauan with 3/4" square pine frame.  The drawers are big enough to hold everything: tools, spare parts, flight equipment, CA, epoxy, and room for much more if I need it.  It is also modular and not really made for any particular type of model, so it will hold anything I build under 1m wingspan.  I'm sharing this as an example.  Your imagination is the limit!

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 11:02:10 AM »
I got tired of back n forth trips to the truck to get everything. I was using a Hanger 9 flight box that weighed a ton and couldnt hold everything.

So I gave it to my dad and bought me a 3 piece Stanley Toolbox that rolls.

Holds 2 cans of fuel on bottom. Middle holds all hand tools, packin tape, tach ,etc. Top holds prop box, small utility boxes with spare motor parts, nuts, washers, bolts. And I got a cool little "sandwich" cooler bag from the Dallas Club that holds my lines amd handles with a shoulder strap that hangs on the extended handle i pull the box with.

Ill get some pics when I get home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 04:25:53 PM »
A plan you could adapt to your own needs. One drawer, no top rack, battery exposed with power panel on back is how I built mine.
G
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 04:28:27 PM »
Pics of my box

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Norm Furutani

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 04:56:45 PM »
Some of the locals have been switching over to soft sided tool totes. Huge variety to choose from. [url]https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_2?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Atool+tote&page=2&keywords=tool+tote&ie=UTF8&qid=1537224941[/url
Check out HF, too.

Norm

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 05:48:57 PM »
Check out the fishing tackle boxes at Cabela's and Bass Pro.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 06:08:35 PM »
Show up at the field with a starting glove, lines, fuel and igniter.  If you need more than that, ask fellow pilots if they have what you need.

Steve Helmick can attest to the effectiveness of this system (and thanks, Steve, for the loan of the wrench last Sunday).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here