News:

• April 30, 2024, 02:44:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Windy video's on canopy shading?  (Read 681 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Windy video's on canopy shading?
« on: October 08, 2021, 09:10:15 AM »
Anyone know which of the Windy videos has details of canopy shading? Am wanting to try this on some window's trim being added to a profile I am finishing up and wanted to see what airbrush tips, mask methods  to get that light shade around the edges?

Best,    DennisT

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Windy video's on canopy shading?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2021, 09:12:10 AM »
Anyone know which of the Windy videos has details of canopy shading? Am wanting to try this on some window's trim being added to a profile I am finishing up and wanted to see what airbrush tips, mask methods  to get that light shade around the edges?

Best,    DennisT

Den,

Just go look at the ARGO 2 Paint Build.

Exactly what your asking is there in detailed photos.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2021, 01:19:51 PM »
Check Charles's method first or check the Tsunami video on youtube.  The canopy painting starts at the 38:27 minute mark.
Kevin

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2021, 01:29:11 PM »
I found the - Windy U Master 898 air brush canopy Pip tunnel black. This tape about 2/3 into it does the canopy with shading technique he used, no masking just slow steady hand where he starts the airbrush flow well before it gets to the part then goes around the edge. I think this will take several practice shots for me. I might use a lose center mask just to keep the overspray from getting onto the center.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2021, 05:20:02 PM »
Ken,
Thanks for the post, it showed the shading and has a good tutorial on tape, what works and what does not.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2021, 07:05:07 AM »
Chris,
That is very good information and a very impressive look. I assume you are using dope for the finish as that what it seems earlier in the thread (pg 4)? I have been working with the waterbased acrylic's from Tamiya, Liquitex and Montana Color for the electric ship. These are pretty much like auto basecoat just not available in the auto colors and 1/4th the price in rattle cans. They go on flat, same as basecoat, and need a clear top coat. By my gram scale it weighs the same as dope plus clear just no thinner smell for the basecoat. For IC would top coat with Max 2K death paint.

For the airbrush how thin do you mix the paint? Would love to see a video of the technique for fogging and how far you hold the airbrush on each pass.

Thanks for the informative post.

Best,   DennisT   

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2021, 09:55:28 PM »
Yeah, Sig dope.
Crist
AMA 482497