News:

• May 15, 2024, 05:00:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: wind speed indicator  (Read 1380 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
wind speed indicator
« on: September 13, 2015, 01:07:03 PM »

Does anyone know of a "homemade" wind speed indicator, and where a build list and plans might be located?
 As we all know "guessin" just doesn't work at all, so I hope that some one can tell me how to build and set one up.
     Thanks a lot... #^ #^
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: wind speed indicator
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 01:17:20 PM »
   Does anyone know of a "homemade" wind speed indicator, and where a build list and plans might be located?
 As we all know "guessin" just doesn't work at all, so I hope that some one can tell me how to build and set one up.
     Thanks a lot... #^ #^

A Dwyer meter is about $30, last I checked, which is likely cheaper and more accurate than a home job.

Brett

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 03:05:35 PM »
I use one of these at the range to check wind velocity and temp:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DF9VUC/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687762&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000WHPL14&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=09Q5S7HBWB52966DKJGH

If you really want a cheap home made job, you can use a TF prop balancer. Instructions with the balancer on how to use it.
Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 03:10:18 PM »

Back in the days of women wearing nylon stockings... I would use a strip of one of my wife's discarded nylons cut about 1" wide and 30" long, attached to a clothes hangar (straightened out) that put the strip of nylon about 30" in the air. Worked pretty good, and definitely cheap. Since nylon stockings are long gone, I'll bet a similarly dimensioned length of Wal-Mart sack work the same.

Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 04:38:36 PM »
Guessing wind speed has been working pretty good over here.

MM

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 04:56:45 PM »
Seeing as I fly combat airplanes about 99% of the time, wind speed wasn't as much of a concern as wind direction.  What I liked about my cheap-o indicator the best was its ability to also show wind direction. We sometimes have swirling/directional changing breezes around these parts (ever hear the lyrics to the song "Oklahoma!"?), and my cheap-o indicators were good about flowing with the breeze/wind.

Otherwise, good guessing for wind speed (and using dry grass thrown into the air for direction) is good too.  We're an improvising group, we are.;  H^^
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Norm Furutani

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 05:29:53 PM »
I use an old 2 piece garage sale fishing rod that I stripped off all the guides. Mounted it in an old drum kit stand so its portable. As a marker, I use VCR tape. It also holds my thermister(OT) and I used to have a Dwyer wind guage. In use, you can estimate the wind velocity by streamer action. If it blows over, time to put the planes away!

Norm

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 05:37:06 PM »
I have one like this that works very well.  The link shows them on Amazon for $30.00.  another $3.00 gets a small tripod that it sets on.

Maybe this is what Brett was referring to.

I've had mine for several years and it works fine.  At least its better than the Old Wet finger!!   LL~

Actually turbulance in the air over the circle you're flying in is more destructive and in my opinion a lot more important than actual wind speed.   I've flown in steady 15 mph wind that was relatively easy compared to 7-8 mph wind with turbulance and small rapid direction changes.  ....The wet finger doesn't work very well for that either but the reverse wingover and first inside loop will tell you how much fun it's going to be>>>Whaaa Hoo!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-WM-2-Windspeed-Temperature/dp/B005DF9VUC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442186442&sr=8-1&keywords=wind+speed+indicators

Randy Cuberly

PS:  Actually I've been enbarrased by being such a "wind Wimp" since I witnessed Billy Werwage fly a 560+ pattern against two other brave souls one of which was Gerry Phelps, and the other I can't remember, at VSC many years ago in wind that was difficult to just stand up in... Not kidding!  I was totally surprised the they agreed to fly at all.  Billy looked like he was out for a Sunday flight and the airplane flew so fast at times in the wind it was difficult to keep track of it.  It always seemed to go where it was supposed to however and of course He won handily.  I also remember Gerry putting up a brave flight but being blown out of at least two maneuvers...

Standing at the side of the circle was difficult enough without flying!!!  Only the Brave need apply!  y1 y1 LL~
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Online qaz049

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 05:40:37 PM »
Also called  an Anemometer. Cheap as Chips post free direct from Asia. They average between $10 to $13 on ebay and takes about a month to arrive by mail They're usually got the same electronics as the more expensive ones anyway.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-LCD-Digital-Anemometer-Air-Wind-Speed-Gauge-Meter-Measure-Thermometer-GM816-/161680128121?hash=item25a4e2f879
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 07:53:54 PM by qaz049 »

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 06:32:06 AM »
Back when the club field was located at Jerry's property I built one of these.
http://www.otherpower.com/anemometer.html
Still have a spare brushless motor if anyone wants it just let me know. I used a cheap digital meter instead of the analogue shown. Mounted the head on PVC pipe and put the electronics and meter in a plastic box. It worked well till the digital display failed.

I also have a portable Kestrel bought to calibrate the DIY wind speed meter with, that I keep in my flight box but seldom use.

Now we have a full blown weather station at the flying site and can check the wind speed before going to the field by looking at our webcam page on the internet.
http://www.webcam.somethinxtra.com/

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 11:23:18 AM »

Wow thanks a lot guy's, one more question, how can I contact amazon by telephone? I did not see a phone number in their ad...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 11:47:21 AM »
I'm pretty sure that Amazon is web-only.

Speaking of phones, though, I'm sure there are wind-speed indicators that work off of the microphone on a smart-phone.  They'll probably be a bit more accurate than you would be if you listened to the wind whistling in your ears, but hey -- a number is a number.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2015, 07:06:20 PM »

Thanks Guy's I got one ordered today.. #^              y1
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 08:01:34 PM »
 Which one did you decide on? You got me thinking about this now!
  Thanks a lot,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2015, 06:46:21 AM »

Dan, I ordered the one that Randy C suggested on an earlier post, supposed to be here about the 21St of this month.

I am looking forward to using it...

8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2015, 10:22:26 PM »
My guess is that you won't believe how low the windspeed really is. Most modelers severely overestimate it.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here