News:

• April 26, 2024, 03:03:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mustang I.D.  (Read 1465 times)

Offline Air Ministry .

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Mustang I.D.
« on: July 12, 2018, 10:51:38 PM »
While looking at ' Invasion Stripe ' Mustangs , on google pics , THIS came up. Months Back . Guess the rest .
From flying lines , buts hiding in the corridors / mists , of time . Despite some attempts to Re Find .  >:(

Was in colour of course . Best Nobler Stang , particularly in " .46 Size " ? we've seen .

So WHOs responsable , Wheres the Drawing ,  S?P , anyone have any other pictures / info .

Thanks .  H^^
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 08:17:55 PM by Matt Spencer »

Offline TigreST

• TigreST
  • Commander
Re: Mustang I.D.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 04:58:15 PM »
Matt,
Really testing the memory banks here but I think I re-member this model being Todd Lee's of the USA.  Second test item...I believe it was based on the Sig Magnum airframe and kit bashed into the B model Mustang you see.  Third item: I think Todd had made some attempt to lighten the Sig foam cores by removing material so that a "rib wing" look was obtained (section out the foam between what would have been wing ribs).  Fourth item I believe that although this worked for a while the foam riblets sort of failed to maintain the airfoil shape after some time.  Now having said all that I could also be completely wrong and simply have mistaken this Mustang B for some one else's that the above details are correct.

T.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 06:17:23 AM by TigreST »
Tony Bagley
Ontario, Canada

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 05:56:30 PM »
When everybody gets home from the NATS maybe we will get an answer. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 06:27:29 PM »
   I would know it was Todd's if we could see the other side of it and see if it has the Magnum Opus nose art on it. He had it on the airplane that TigreST mentions (which I think he crashed at the NATS and had to frantically get replaced and it sported the penguin from Bloom County also.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 07:33:28 PM »
That is Todd Lee's Mustang from the World Champs in 2002.    That series started as a bashed Sig Magnum, but the WC version was  a bit past that.  Built up wing and dihedral, I think...   Power was OS 46 SF, CF 12 1/2" prop.   Qualified for the finals at Sebnitz.   Came home with a Team third place.   Plane was destroyed at the 2003 Nats.  The next in the series was started soon after that..    There are rumors that construction is still underway.....     A Brit snuck in at the 2015 Nats and slowed the process....
Todd may chime in with more details....
Jim

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 07:37:02 PM »
That is Todd Lee's Mustang from the World Champs in 2002.    That series started as a bashed Sig Magnum, but the WC version was  a bit past that.  Built up wing and dihedral, I think...   Power was OS 46 SF, CF 12 1/2" prop.   Qualified for the finals at Sebnitz.   Came home with a Team third place.   Plane was destroyed at the 2003 Nats.  The next in the series was started soon after that..    There are rumors that construction is still underway.....     A Brit snuck in at the 2015 Nats and slowed the process....
Todd may chime in with more details....
Jim

LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ Was that three years ago already??? IU have plans for the Opus that he provided me with. Hope he checks in.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 09:36:17 PM »
Recent HUMINT reports that preparations to resume construction are being made...

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 09:49:54 PM »
  Plane was destroyed at the 2003 Nats. 

Boy, was it ever. I think he flew the next flight after me on the same circle. Got through OK, but it may have wandered a bit too far to the left in the 4-leaf, and whammo. Then the debris blew straight into the soybean field. That was too bad, I think that one flew better than the silver one, and looked a lot better, too.

Brett

Online James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 10:10:43 PM »
Brett
The plane was centered...  Todd said as soon as he turned up in the four leaf to exit it was.....  gone......   I was straight down wind and the debris was in the beans behind me before I could say Oh s####   Our thoughts after a LOT of discussion was a bit of a gust tipped it in as it turned up....
Jim

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 11:55:45 PM »
A very nice looking plane.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 12:20:28 AM »

Yea.

If you start useing a ruler and pencil on a photocopy of the picture ,

Theres around 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 , at a guess , Diheadral . Thanks for the tip .
This is assumeing a straight ( in plan ) flap hinge line .

sorry to hear it was totaled .

Offline OpusP51

• New Pilot
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 03:15:40 PM »
That is a nice picture, thanks for the interest and compliments. Unfortunately it really did come home in a Hefty Bag after the 2003 Nat. I've been told it still ranks as one of the most spectacular crashes at the Nat.  Exiting the four leaf on the climb, past about 45° it suddenly turned in and flew across the top of the circle at about 40 feet and impacted straight in. Barely scratched the prop.

Yes, the model started as a Magnum with a scoop and invasion stripes at the 91 Nat. This was the fourth in the series, the only thing remaining from the Magnum is the name and warren truss construction for the flaps. Magnum Opus V is under construction (which began in Aug 2003). At this pace it should be complete by the time I retire. Haha.

The model pictured has dihedral, no sweep in the flap highline. 685 sq in, 55 Oz. OS 46SFS power by Big Art. 2 1\2"spinner, deep fuse with the bottom of the wing 1\8" from the bottom of the fuse.

Todd

Offline OpusP51

• New Pilot

Offline TigreST

• TigreST
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 03:41:21 PM »
Well....I did get his name right!  ;D

T.