News:

• May 01, 2024, 07:24:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: who said  (Read 700 times)

Offline bob whitney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
who said
« on: October 23, 2018, 01:28:43 PM »

who ever said that a day flying was better than a day laying next to the pool with a cold one in your hand.
went to go flying today ,beautiful weather ,no wind for a change . got out the mono line stunter .hooked the line up and nothing moved . the Stanzel stunt unit had broken ,now I need to cut into it and replace it. Next got out my MVVS 15 Diesel powered ringmaster . I was flying out of a stooge .started on 1st flip (really)as I was walking out to the handle I heard it starting to get hard ( over compressed ) before I could get back to the plane it back fired and threw the prop and started to run away., being locked into the stooge I couldn't pick it up to tilt it down away from the fuel  .then it seized  ,and dose not feel real good at the moment . so no flights ,one broken plane and most likely one ruined engine . GIVE ME ANOTHER COOL ONE
rad racer

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
Re: who said
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 02:09:49 PM »
Sorry to hear of your frustrations. Eventually everyone gets a day that goes like that.  The day my Shoestring Stunter died from the line snag I also had my enlarged flying Fool with me.  Thought I'd give it some air time. Got it in the stooge, engine running, at the handle I double checked the controls and saw something that looked wrong. Walked back in and found the soldier joint on my pushrod at the end for the elevator had failed. No further flying that day. Thankfully I had the two best flights the Shoestring Stunter ever had before all this happened. Too bad they were also its last flights.....

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 03:02:45 PM »

who ever said that a day flying was better than a day laying next to the pool with a cold one in your hand.
went to go flying today ,beautiful weather ,no wind for a change . got out the mono line stunter .hooked the line up and nothing moved . the Stanzel stunt unit had broken ,now I need to cut into it and replace it. Next got out my MVVS 15 Diesel powered ringmaster . I was flying out of a stooge .started on 1st flip (really)as I was walking out to the handle I heard it starting to get hard ( over compressed ) before I could get back to the plane it back fired and threw the prop and started to run away., being locked into the stooge I couldn't pick it up to tilt it down away from the fuel  .then it seized  ,and dose not feel real good at the moment . so no flights ,one broken plane and most likely one ruined engine . GIVE ME ANOTHER COOL ONE
Sounds like a typical weekend in Dallas.  Nothing seems to work on Saturday then we break what didn't work Saturday on Sunday.  I took Brett's advice and took an extra plane so that I didn't have to quit flying if one broke and now I have two to fix instead of the usual one.  I have simply quit asking "What Else can go wrong"... and I am the lucky one.  In all my years of flying I have never seen so many experienced fliers have so many stupid things go wrong in such a short period of time.  Glad to know it is not just us.  I need to change my comment to "if it is not broke, it must still be at the house."
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 07:10:10 PM »
At least I (and Gary) don't have to lay by the pool with a cold one in my hand. It was bloody cold this AM when I went out to run some errands.   :X Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 09:49:13 AM »
I still remember the days when I only had one plane to fly when I went flying.   Never had problems.  It is when I got into competition with more than two or three planes I would have problems when I went out to practice.   Finally I just told myself no more practice, fly for fun.   By the way it was a hot cup of coffee for me out of a thermos I always had with me.  Now guys look me when funny I show up with at least 6 planes in the Suburban. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here