News:

• May 14, 2024, 10:42:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ..Where oh where  (Read 1790 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
..Where oh where
« on: December 31, 2011, 07:57:04 AM »
 ~^  Can I find the 1/4 oz peel and stick alloy wheel weights in the sticks of lead like Prather used to sell?

Thanks and Happy New Year... #^ ~^
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: ..Where oh where
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 08:22:18 AM »
Check the Brodak,  SIG and RSM Dist sites.   They should have them.  I got mine at local hobby shop.  Whoops, almost forgot CLC. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 08:25:14 AM »
Tower Hobbies carries them under their "Great Planes" name.

Offline Don Curry AMA 267060

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 08:32:34 AM »
Auto parts stores sell them for tire balancing.

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 08:39:33 AM »
Auto parts stores sell them for tire balancing.
Yup....gotta balance them mags wheels....don't hit my mags with a hammer :o!!! y1
John Stiles             Tulip, Ar.

Offline David M Johnson

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 09:01:23 AM »
Harbor Freight but I'm not sure if they are lead or not. Also look at craft stores that sell Cub Scout Pinewood Derby car kits. Hobby Lobby, Michaels etc.
David Johnson   
We're havin some fun now!!

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 09:05:57 AM »
            Unfortunately, the lead weights are being phased out of service. California has a law that was passed in 2009 at the end of the year stating that new cars can't be sold with the weights your describing. This also includes the hammer on type. Thousands of tons of lead end up scattered all over and the EPA claims  that it pollutes rivers and streams nationwide. The car manufacturers are beginning to switch to steel and zinc type which are much larger. The other downside is that they cost more. Get them while you can. I've even noticed that the local hobby shop which carries pinewood derby cars no longer sell the lead and also switched to the zinc. I went to my local mechanic which had several sticks of the stick ons which he provided me with. He had several of the hammer on type which he preferred me to take. He uses the stick on style for aluminum wheels. I'm sure its just a matter of time before we don't see them at all. Europe has taken the same approach. It has already been questioned in the fishing industry several times. Ken

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 12:27:49 PM »
Since I have a couple .45 cal black powder long rifles (and a Ruger Old Army revolver), I use the lead balls!  I squash them in a vice and drill a hole in the middle to fit the commercial tip weight boxes.  Lead is one of the most plentiful metals on earth, and it is 100% recyclable.  No shortage in my lifetime!

Floyd
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 03:00:19 PM »
 H^^   Thanks Guy's, I went to my local auto part's biz, and was told that they have to sell them by the box, sit down, 42.00 per box, and they are going to have to be steel very soon.. No lead...!!!    R%%%%
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 03:11:07 PM »
Say, does this apply to fishing sinkers.  I haven't bought any for several years, but have used fishing sinkers, hammered flat as outside wing weights.  Anyone bought any lead fishing sinkers lately............thanks EPA, for protecting us from ourselves!    mw~    mw~    mw~

Offline Norm Faith Jr.

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • The physics of flight releases the soul.
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 06:31:53 PM »
           Unfortunately, the lead weights are being phased out of service. California has a law that was passed in 2009 at the end of the year stating that new cars can't be sold with the weights your describing. This also includes the hammer on type. Thousands of tons of lead end up scattered all over and the EPA claims  that it pollutes rivers and streams nationwide. The car manufacturers are beginning to switch to steel and zinc type which are much larger. The other downside is that they cost more. Get them while you can. I've even noticed that the local hobby shop which carries pinewood derby cars no longer sell the lead and also switched to the zinc. I went to my local mechanic which had several sticks of the stick ons which he provided me with. He had several of the hammer on type which he preferred me to take. He uses the stick on style for aluminum wheels. I'm sure its just a matter of time before we don't see them at all. Europe has taken the same approach. It has already been questioned in the fishing industry several times. Ken

The folks here in Arkansas use old spark plugs for "fishin sinkers." ;D
Norm
Circlepilot   AMA9376

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 06:43:26 PM »
Paul Wood is right. Great Planes sells them in 6 oz packages, just like the old Prather ones. Great Planes weights are marked in 1/4 oz increments. Any hobby shop that sells Great Planes/ Hobbico/ OS engines/ Top Flight should have them, or you can order from Tower. Price is $4.99. Wouldn't you rather go to the hobby shop than the tire shop?

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 07:40:33 AM »
I have a big coffee can full of wheel weights I got for free from local tire store.   Was told they couldn't be reused.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 03:07:21 PM »
Gil, Hobby Towne use to have them. I bought some there a couple of years ago. Try them, they probably still stock'em.
     Doug

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 05:18:55 AM »
 y1   Found 'em at Car Quest, and they were a LITTLE cheaper, didn't know the hobby shop had 'em thou..    :##
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline David M Johnson

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 07:48:16 AM »
I really don't want to start ANY aurgument.  The weights that I bought from harbor freight were stick on at 1/4 increments and cost under 2 bucks. The harbor freight ones were square just like the hobby shop ones.  My question is weight is weight and why would it matter if its lead, steel or otherwise?
David Johnson
We're havin some fun now!!

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 07:54:04 AM »
I bought a big roll of sticky-back  1" lead tape from McMaster Carr. 

Originally I bought it for balancing golf clubs, but it balances planes, too.

Warning:  DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT AS BABY FOOD.

Paul Smith

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 07:58:12 AM »
I never use stick on weights. Bolt on weights are much safer and won't rattle inside a weight box.
AMA 7544

Offline andrew stokey

• 2014 Supporters
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 08:46:12 AM »
Or, you stuff the weight box with cotton to keep from rattling.  Just another option.  I drill holes and run the weights through the 4/40  bolt

Offline John Fitzgerald

• No longer an AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 12:42:38 PM »
I found a complete strip of them lying in the parking lot of the ford garage when I had my truck serviced, so that is another source. No longer sticky but will work anyway.  They might give you a few at a dealer if you are a customer. Good luck. 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here