News:

• April 26, 2024, 01:10:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Where have all the Fox parts gone?  (Read 4865 times)

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Where have all the Fox parts gone?
« on: January 23, 2019, 08:17:19 PM »
I can never seem to find stuffer backplates, hemi heads, zoot cranks, blue magic heads etc. for the Fox .35.

I know there was a lot of factory stuffers and hemi heads, but they never pop up. I realize the engine is no longer viable for much in the way of PA, but they offer a lot  of fun when just fooling around.

Where did it all go?

Ron

Offline Doug Burright

• Commander
  • Legacy, Brodak kit
Re: Where have all the Fox parts gone?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 09:35:47 PM »
I suggest that you contact Bob Brookins. My understanding is that Bob Brookins and another guy loaded up all of Lew Woolard's stuff - which included unopened packages of backplates, heads, needle valve assemblies, model kits, machine tools, etc., that The Silver Foxx used to enhance model engine performance. I was lucky to get my brand-new Fox .35 returned, that was in the que to be massaged by Lew's capable hands. It is a very early version- long before the Anniversary Edition engines were produced. I'm certain that other deserving modelers did not get their engines returned. Lew's grandson contacted me to learn where all of Lew's stuff went.
I will build it. It's gonna be really difficult to find me with an ARF. I know every bit of my airplane!

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 10:10:24 PM »
I suggest that you contact Bob Brookins. My understanding is that Bob Brookins and another guy loaded up all of Lew Woolard's stuff - which included unopened packages of backplates, heads, needle valve assemblies, model kits, machine tools, etc., that The Silver Foxx used to enhance model engine performance. I was lucky to get my brand-new Fox .35 returned, that was in the que to be massaged by Lew's capable hands. It is a very early version- long before the Anniversary Edition engines were produced. I'm certain that other deserving modelers did not get their engines returned. Lew's grandson contacted me to learn where all of Lew's stuff went.

Hey Doug!

Long time no see! Is Bob Brookins a member here? I don’t know him. Where does he hail from? I figured all of Lew’s stuff would have went to you Wichihawks? Or maybe the Gluedobbers.  Hope you are well.

Ron

Offline Doug Burright

• Commander
  • Legacy, Brodak kit
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 11:32:30 PM »
Ron,
It would have been nice to allow the home club of Lew Woolard - The Wichihawks- to have had an opportunity to retrieve their items, and to purchase other items of Lew's, to help with expenses which are incurred when someone passes. Lew was held in high regard throughout the modeling community, and to have his belongings passed on to his many "fans", and benefit his survivors, would have been one of the greatest acts to honor Lew's memory. Unfortunately, everything was secretly hauled away from his home, without a word to the club members, or other modelers who had engines waiting to be worked on.
Besides Bob Brookins who took Lew's stuff, the other guy is possibly from Oklahoma - I think he is Al Eyegabroad. You might be able to get ahold of him, to find out what he was able to take from Lew's home. I think there was no payment to Lew's widow, Julia, for any of the stuff that Lew left, when he passed.
I will build it. It's gonna be really difficult to find me with an ARF. I know every bit of my airplane!

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 07:32:04 AM »
I can never seem to find stuffer backplates, hemi heads, zoot cranks, blue magic heads etc. for the Fox .35.

I know there was a lot of factory stuffers and hemi heads, but they never pop up. I realize the engine is no longer viable for much in the way of PA, but they offer a lot  of fun when just fooling around.

Where did it all go?

Ron

Fox Mfg is now owned by MECOA

Try here:

https://www.mecoa.biz/shopdisplayproducts_fox.asp?id=350

Also talk to Randy Smith who often has parts.

Offline Bill Mohrbacher

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 08:59:30 AM »

Where did it all go?

Ron
Fox hemi  kit on EBay right now

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 09:18:35 AM »

Where did it all go?

I don't know, but I noticed the same thing. I was going through my stuff (including my Fox stuff, most of which has been stored carefully - since *1979*) recently, I ran across a few missing spare parts, so I figured I would just go get a second Blue Magic head and a few stock needles, and all the usual sources have just dried up. I eventually dug around and found stuff, but just catch-as-catch-can, running across various pieces.

Elliot is right on, the infamous MECOA now has all the Fox NOS parts, probably whatever they had in Fort Smith at the end, and have a decent supply of some parts. As always, if they show "in stock" on something, they have it and will ship very quickly, there is no issue. If it shows "coming soon" or anything like that, well, don't hold your breath, some of the stuff they show as "coming soon" has shown that since they have had a website.

Note that the Fox parts from MECOA are the same parts Fox themselves used to sell, with all that implies. I got some stock "intermediate" style needle valves  (the kind with the conical taper, rather than the wedge style that I always used, and not the last "side saddle" version), and they are visibly out of round and the taper is off-center. This is the worst of both worlds, it will have the same odd needle response as the wedge needle, but no contact or support on the seat side so vibration will pound out the threads even faster.

I am contemplating how to cut the head off the needle so I can chuck it up in the drill press or lathe and grind it straight, and also how much of my precious gift of life I want to spend reworking brand new factory parts for an engine I have only limited plans for.  Also, contemplating why no one has yet come up with an effective treatment for OCD.

Brett

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 11:03:10 AM »
Yeah, I know about MECOA, but all they offer is leftovers like you mentioned, could possibly be cast offs that didn’t make it through QC lol.

I don’t see any hop up parts whatsoever.

The late version O-ring stubby side saddle needle works quite well, it shouldn’t, but it does. I bought 2 when in Ft Smith a few yrs back. One broke when my plane fell off of a shelf in my shop. ST needles work well though and can still be found.

There is a cure for OCD, unfortunately the side effect is alcoholism...

There are many people that have given up on Fox .35’s you would think they would be wanting to unload all the parts!

Ron

Offline Bill Mohrbacher

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 12:49:14 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOX-35-STUNT-HEMI-HEAD-CONVERSION-N-I-P-/192799219556

Thanks Bill,

I took a look and it’s currently at $24 with 7 bids and 2 days remaining. It will probably breach the threshold of what I think it’s worth pretty soon. Plus I would need to properly modify the head button as Marvin originally intended.

Marvin Denny offered me some a couple years back, I should have took him up on it. Stupid on my part. I used to get my Fox .35’s and .40’s modified by Lew Woolard. Between him and Marvin I could get what I needed. Sadly they are both gone and the parts and knowledge with them.

Offline Bill Mohrbacher

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 02:38:01 PM »
There is proper rear cover in that kit that must be worth something.  Yeah you'd need to work on the head.

Some things you to get when you see them.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 03:45:37 PM »
Fox 35 stunt. Still the best Bi Slob engine around. And good for old time stunt planes also. My first big engine was a Fox stunt 35 back in the early 60's, which I still have, and it still runs fine. I have about 10 others of various years. They were THE engine back in the old days for stunt. I have an Air Trails annual from 54 that shows all the details of the stunt control line planes flown at the NATS. Almost all were Fox 35's. Champion glow plugs were popular along with OK plugs. That was when we had fuel that had that wonderful shoe polish aroma. Memories.

My Dragon with a Larry Foster Fox. Great running engine.
Jim Kraft

Offline Michael Stinson

• Ensign
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 03:59:34 PM »
I sent a Fox 40 Delux to Lew several years ago for work that I never got back.  It had my name and address in the box.  I always assumed it was just sold by his widow.  As we always want to support fellow modelers widows, I was satisfied.  Hearing that a couple of modelers SCAMMED her infuriates me!  Not only do I want my engine back, these two need to make this right, NOW!

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 05:39:53 PM »
I sent a Fox 40 Delux to Lew several years ago for work that I never got back.  It had my name and address in the box.  I always assumed it was just sold by his widow.  As we always want to support fellow modelers widows, I was satisfied.  Hearing that a couple of modelers SCAMMED her infuriates me!  Not only do I want my engine back, these two need to make this right, NOW!

Well, we have one side of the story, from a guy I trust. Doug wouldn’t lie so I imagine things went down as he saw it. I have no idea who Bob Brookins is or Al for that matter. I am going to talk with De Hill this Saturday at a swap meet and see if I can get to the bottom of this.

Lew used to ask folks to write down addresses and phone numbers on the engine boxes so it would ensure they got back to the owners. I received a nice reworked Fox .35 out of the blue in the mail one day. It wasn’t mine so I called Lew and sent it back. Would have loved to have kept it lol.

Anyway I say that as your engine could have been misplaced the same way.

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2019, 05:53:20 PM »
Actually, I do know Al. Met him once or twice, just didn’t recognize the last name. This should be easy to solve.

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2019, 06:44:02 PM »
Power Mist. H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^

Offline Steve Lotz

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2019, 06:50:39 PM »
Blue Blazer

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2019, 07:48:44 PM »
Missile Mist.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2019, 10:45:10 AM »
Having talked with Bob Brookins in the past he does not do the forums.  He lives in Iowa and is the person that runs the Classic event for John Brodak at the NATS every year since I referred him to John.   You might find a listing for him in the PAMPA members list.   I would say that Bob is reliable enough that if he found engines with names and addresses he would contact the people.   D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2019, 06:06:00 PM »
 :!
Having talked with Bob Brookins in the past he does not do the forums.  He lives in Iowa and is the person that runs the Classic event for John Brodak at the NATS every year since I referred him to John.   You might find a listing for him in the PAMPA members list.   I would say that Bob is reliable enough that if he found engines with names and addresses he would contact the people.   D>K

Thanks Doc,

There is no way of knowing what went down or what deal was made. I am going to speak with Al next time I see him.

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2019, 07:01:42 PM »
Looks like it's going up over $50. Are the mods done to the Fox hemi head, do you know what they were?

Thanks,
Motorman 8)

Yeah, that’s what I figured. Those are Fox factory parts so no mods were done. On a positive note, I picked up 2 Marvin Denny Stuffers, Marvin Denny crank, an L&J head as well as a Blue Magic Head at the swap meet today.

PM me your email and I can send you a PDF. With Fox .35 mods to include what needs to be done to the head.
Ron

Offline Doug Burright

• Commander
  • Legacy, Brodak kit
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2019, 07:24:05 PM »
Ron,

Where did those parts come from? Do you know their lineage?

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2019, 08:57:04 PM »
Ron,

Where did those parts come from? Do you know their lineage?

De Hill.

He contacted me after he read this thread and brought me what I needed. I know for a fact they weren’t Lews, he was offered some of Lews stuff and he turned it down as he already has what he needs.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2019, 10:24:26 PM »
What makes it so difficult that some of our cottage-industrialist brothers with machine skills aren't reproducing these needles out of hard metal rod.
I mean damn, this looks doable(unfortunately, not by me). Are the threads something really odd to reproduce?

I can understand why spraybars would be more difficult, unless they could be printed with plastic. I'm sure those would wear out fast, and(with no working knowledge of printers) I don't know what cost of running small batches on a printer might be. If they were a dime-a-dozen, that would work. For an occasional knock-about plane.

My lack of machinist skills is one of my very few regrets.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2019, 12:42:00 AM »
Rusty,

A machinist would look at the number of setups required, the precision required, the percentage of material to be removed ("spindle time"), and any special operations. And the size. Working with small parts requires smaller tools and a certain mindset, or it can be frustrating.

Threading is a special operation. Knurling the knob(s) is a special operation. Routinely done, but you need tool changes, and another setup.

The integral knobs in a Fox needle would be the first thing that would go if I were to make these. Just machine a bare needle and press. swage, mold, or solder on one or more knobs. A needle like the Fox isn't particularly hard, but it is ill suited to open setups on a general duty lathe. What you need is an automatic screw machine.

I would also look at rolling the threads instead of cutting them.

The spraybar would be harder if only because there are two threadforms, and an internal precision seat. At least, hopefully there is. Depth control matters. The up side is that brass is really nice to work with, but chip clearance would have to be watched. Again, a perfect part for an automatic screw machine.

But let's be realistic--how many such needles would I be able to sell?

Regarding parts from additive manufacturing. These can be certain metals as well as plastic. The plastics being used are way better than those 25 years ago, before the general public even knew this was being done. For tiny parts, the precision is poor. Remember that you are essentially creating layers of material. The step size of the machine can be small, but you still get the effect. And the properties are still not as good. But golly, it sure is whiz-bang. The Navy marketing people say they can make submarines out of it. Right....

Dave

PS--What a joy it was to get rid of my Fox "spade-style" needle. The constant taper is so much nicer to set.....

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2019, 08:31:58 AM »
Rusty,

If you need a Fox needle let me know.

As much as I love Fox .35’s the needles wether taper or spade do not seal worth a darn. The Fox vibrates so much that it exacerbates the problem as well.

You are further ahead with a PA, ST or Late Fox fat head chubby needle setup.
Ron

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2019, 08:53:31 AM »
      The stock Fox needle is usable with some attention. On the flat taper style, I have used a file to make the taper longer and wider. Longer is the most help I think. On some round taper needles, I chuck it up in a drill press, get it spinning and make the taper  longer and leaner. I have even taken the flat taper needles and made those into round taper needles. On either style, a length of fuel line slipped over the threads seals the air leaks there. These units are definitely not the best examples of accurate and consistent machining, but they most certainly can be used. I guess what I mean to say is that the biggest problem with the Fox .35 needle is that they were not produced to let enough fuel flow.  I'll agree that the other types of NVA's mentioned are better, but of you don't have any and you have the Fox units laying around, why not use them if you can get satisfactory response from them?
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2019, 09:03:32 AM »
There is proper rear cover in that kit that must be worth something.  Yeah you'd need to work on the head.

Some things you to get when you see them.

May I ask what the difference is between the Marvin Denny hemi head and the Fox factory produced hemi head? I would really have to dig and check my stuff and I'm not sure if I know what is Marvin stuff or Fox stuff in my parts stash. I know got at least two sets from Marvin back in the day and bought a few Fox sets also but all have been used and nothing in original packaging to help me tell them apart. I have some Larry Foster engines also. IS there any difference in the heads on his engines? I think his uses an angled plug?  I wouldn't mind picking up a couple of Marvin Denny head/back plate sets myself.
    Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2019, 11:43:28 AM »
     May I ask what the difference is between the Marvin Denny hemi head and the Fox factory produced hemi head? I would really have to dig and check my stuff and I'm not sure if I know what is Marvin stuff or Fox stuff in my parts stash. I know got at least two sets from Marvin back in the day and bought a few Fox sets also but all have been used and nothing in original packaging to help me tell them apart. I have some Larry Foster engines also. IS there any difference in the heads on his engines? I think his uses an angled plug?  I wouldn't mind picking up a couple of Marvin Denny head/back plate sets myself.
    Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

Dan,

Marvin never really mass produced heads, he did design them though. He submitted the design to Fox who made them, but altered his design for whatever reason. Probably for cost savings is my guess.

The original Denny design has a deeper dish and a smaller squish band. I don’t have a Denny head to show you, but it’s probably close to the Blue Magic Tom Muggleton head. The L&J is close to the Fox factory head.

Whenever you find your heads lay them out side by side and the differences will be very apparent.

Ron

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2019, 05:32:34 PM »
Rusty,

A machinist would look at the number of setups required, the precision required, the percentage of material to be removed ("spindle time"), and any special operations. And the size. Working with small parts requires smaller tools and a certain mindset, or it can be frustrating.....
Thanks, Dave. I appreciate the detailed reply.

Ron, thanks, but the needle on my Yak-9 is still straight. It's very short but could still possibly get bent on a bad day. It's one of the types that's flat on both sides. Next time you come to Columbia we'll fly it.

Last time we flew, I believe you wrung out a nice flight on the Shoestring with its Max-S. It's on the 'Tube. That one sported a venturi Bob Z made for me, and boy does it run nice. I flew it last April when Sam and Steve Hines came to practice for France at Huntersville.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2019, 07:44:13 PM »
I heard somewhere that most of these parts have been cut up and used as tip weight. S?P
AMA 12366

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2019, 09:07:04 PM »
I heard somewhere that most of these parts have been cut up and used as tip weight. S?P
Haha, you must've been talking to one of those electric powered flyers, they always Hunt for a way to Bob our applecart, but he they can't upset it that easy. :-*
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2019, 09:18:30 PM »
It’s a love hate thing. Yes their are better power plants out there and yes I use them too. I just have a soft spot for engins that have proven themselves. Foxes are the slant 6 of model engines.

Rusty, I would be honered to take another wack at the Yak!

Offline Jay

• Commander
  • 1 Cross +3 Nails= 4 Given
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2019, 09:24:18 PM »
Any chance of someone sitting on a P&L for the fox 35?
My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.
Albert Einstein

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2019, 10:32:06 PM »

Yes, contact De Hill. Tulsa Gluedobbers

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2019, 08:51:52 AM »

LOL! Piston & Liner... NOT like I first thought...

"Now why would anyone want a Profit & Loss sheet on a batch production run of the Fox 35??".

Sheesh... I are dense.

Andre
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2019, 10:05:44 AM »
As I used to tell the guys in the RC club that asked how I could get their engine running when they had trouble getting them to run.   I would point to my plane that had a Fox on it and say when you learn to run a Fox you can run any thing.  Only engine that gave me trouble was a K&B 40.  Had to start it by hand.   Almost one flip starts every time. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2019, 03:56:53 PM »

If Mecoa would just make a few changes and produce the Fox 29 stunt with high zoot crank, stuffer backplate and good NVA it would have a thicker liner and balance better then, if they machine it straight with modern production techniques you'd have a good sport flying engine that doesn't warp all to hell when you tighten the bolts.

That market for that would be about 25 units, at most.

Brett

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2019, 04:03:47 PM »
With Meccoa's track record of buying out company's and sitting on all the parts. I would not hold your breath. Also it could be that Meccoa does not and or did not get the tooling and or the machinery to produce certain parts to produce complete engines.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 11:58:47 AM by Tony Drago »

Offline Jay

• Commander
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2019, 06:53:35 PM »
Yes, contact De Hill. Tulsa Gluedobbers
Waiting to hear back from Dehill. Does he come on here much?
My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.
Albert Einstein

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2019, 07:34:58 PM »
Waiting to hear back from Dehill. Does he come on here much?

Yes Jay, by now he has read your post. What are you needing?  Perhaps I can help or at least get you started in the right direction.

Offline Jay

• Commander
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2019, 07:48:31 PM »
Looking for a P&L for the Fox 35 engine. One would be good but 2 would be great!
Thanks
Albert Einstein

Offline Bill Mohrbacher

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2019, 05:19:16 AM »
Where have all the Fox parts gone
Long time comin'
Where have all the Fox parts gone
Long time gone

If Mecoa would just make a few changes and produce the Fox 29 stunt with high zoot crank, stuffer backplate and good NVA it would have a thicker liner and balance better then, if they machine it straight with modern production techniques you'd have a good sport flying engine that doesn't warp all to hell when you tighten the bolts.

Motorman 8) you 2any an even thicker liner??

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2019, 03:05:08 AM »
Can't argue with that but if they ever make a run of 35s I hope they make a few common sense improvements and machine them with greater precision.

Motorman 8)
Hello
Last year I emailed Mecoa and asked if they were going to make a 70th  Anniversary edition of the Fox 35 but got no reply.
 Pity as I'm sure it would sell well as a collector engine even if outdated , outmoded and generally poorly regarded by the stunt community . There are a lot of improvements that could be made but like the Ford Model'T' it is a product of its era.
Regards Gerald

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2019, 07:47:02 AM »
Hello
Last year I emailed Mecoa and asked if they were going to make a 70th  Anniversary edition of the Fox 35 but got no reply.
 Pity as I'm sure it would sell well as a collector engine even if outdated , outmoded and generally poorly regarded by the stunt community . There are a lot of improvements that could be made but like the Ford Model'T' it is a product of its era.
Regards Gerald

Their own statements aside, it's not obvious to me that MECOA has ever done more than just assemble engines from parts on hand. Making a new die (or new insert in a die)  to change "60th" to "70th" doesn't seem likely.

I wouldn't say the Fox 35 is poorly-regarded, more than it was passed by close to 60 years ago as a competitive engine (Bear notwithstanding). People put up with it's idiosyncrasies to get the performance, and moved on when something better and easier came along. Just like they did with the ST46, ST60, 40VF (minus the idiosyncrasies part), and now for the most part, IC engines entirely.

I don't think it was ever a good sport engine, just look at the litany of  parts discussions above, and other threads where we talk about tightening head screw wrong and making it not run properly, the burp, etc. There are people who reflexively defend it, but mostly because they don't know any better. There are also a cadre who think they know exactly what to do to get it to run correctly and toss half the parts and polish and grind things, which is even worse. It's almost as bad as Cox engines, everyone thinks they are hop-up genius and know all the "special secrets" necessary. They are dismally wrong in most cases, but cannot be convinced otherwise.

Brett

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2019, 09:18:31 AM »
That is/was part of the problem with Fox engines.   read instructions and break in as stated then go fly. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2019, 03:34:29 PM »
Doc...

Fox hater's are gonna hate. No biggie.

I recall vividly my first experiences with bigger (than ..049) engines. Veco's sucked, as a young man they were a booger to get lit-off. My Super Tigre was picky, too. So, bought some Fox engines (35 St and 36X NB) and mounted them to their airplanes. (A Magician and Vampire, respectively.) New out of the box they fired-up quickly and I was flying. Done deal. Typically it was 1-3 flips and they would light right off... even after sitting for long periods. (FWIW: I'm certain I still have my original 36X and I "THINK" I still have my original 35 St. Of course, I'm also sure the X was rebuilt during my Fox days, and likely the Stunt too. During my Fox Mfg days, I used to enjoy hand making engines, so I'm sure they received attention.)

Here a few years ago, there was a video posted here of me flying that was taken at a GSCB's Combat Fun Fly. The video starts with me prepping to fly a 36X powered Demon. That combo hadn't been flown in about year or so (me either). After squirting a bit of fuel into the venturi and exhaust, turning it over to break it loose and free it up (pouring out the excess fuel), using nothing more than a Hobico 1.5 dry cell... it fired off first flip.

Never understood all the ill feelings toward Fox engines.

Ah well... it's only a hobby. It's mainly like the Ford guys vs the Chevy guys vs the Dodge guys vs the Toyota guys, etc, etc.

Andre
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2019, 11:06:22 PM »
Hello
 The hard part for me is, I always liked engines weather they be a Fox , Enya, OS, PAW diesel, old ignition or 1/2A but as Brett states IC seems to be fading out now and the whole 'engine' mode of propulsion feels endangered as new parts, glow plugs and IC props are getting harder to get now (not counting second hand engines on Ebay currently!). Most big hobby shops seemed to have dropped their glow engines and only sell large gas or electric .

When I was the New Zealand agent for Fox engines many years ago, everyone kept asking for new parts for their ancient Fox 35's! Never sold many new engines and gave up in the end as most modellers are not sentimental and tend to go for the newest thing especially if they are competing in FAI events and not into nostalgia events. Had a lot of fun over the years flying 'outdated' engines but acknowledge I will never be competitive again with them even if I could still fly like I could years ago (wife reminds me I used to fly a nice pattern when we first meet oh well.....)
Regards Gerald

Offline Doug Burright

• Commander
  • Legacy, Brodak kit
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2019, 12:05:20 PM »
When I opened a box with a brand new Fox engine in it , (long ago) there was a tag attached to the gem which had Andre's name on it. Could that be correct? I think the tag showed that it was assembled and test- run by him.

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2019, 12:36:35 PM »
          Andre, was replaced by Sonny Perez. I kind of wondered if Sonny was a real person.

Advertise Here
Tags: ahhh 

Advertise Here