News:

• May 10, 2024, 06:29:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Where All The Good Stuff Is!!  (Read 1024 times)

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Where All The Good Stuff Is!!
« on: December 05, 2021, 09:55:29 AM »
    I have spent a lot of time surfing eBay for treasures since I discovered it a long time ago. I'm mostly bargain hunting and I have found a lot of neat stuff there, and a lot if times I just like to look at what people have to offer. Some sellers are really good at taking great photos of their items and some are the only times I have ever seen some of these items. I remember a seller years ago that had a big collection of plastic RTF models he was selling off and had several Aurora control line models for auction that went for big bucks and I'm sure his photos helped with that. One was a Denight Special Goodyear racer, and this has been the only one I have ever seen. I even sent him a message complimenting him on the model and his presentation of it. This guys was on the west coast, California probably. I have noticed through the years, that is seem like most auctions are on the east and west coasts. very rarely do I ever see anything that interests me that isn't on the west or east coast! I think I have purchased a few items that came from the middle part of the country, and twice from sellers that were here in my area and could pick them up. The main problem with this phenomenon these days is shipping costs!! I have experienced it from both the shipping and receiving side of things and besides the fact that I already have collected up most of everything I have ever wanted or needed, the cost of shipping has to be really affecting sales I would think. I recently learned of a guy that bought a kit for a reasonable price but the shipping was almost half of what the kit cost!! I have discovered the local Craig's List and facebook Market Place for some goodies right near me that I can go and look at before deciding to purchase them.  I also like to just surf those sites just to see what people have and enjoy that. Some times on item leads to a question and something else pops up. O guess that's part of the thrill of the hunt. But still, it seems like most of the good stuff is still on the east and west coasts!! But the cost of shipping definitely makes it easy to pass on something I really don't need but want anyway!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Where All The Good Stuff Is!!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 04:08:50 PM »
One of the reasons I don't list on the Bay lately is the shipping.  Lost money on the sale because the shipping was more than the charts showed and the items didn't get high enough bids.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2021, 04:45:35 PM »
I have sold 21 items for $1698 total in my account on RCG last 30 days with zero to me fees
I spent $256 in postage with pirate shipping averaging under $13 per shipment
Most of my sales were BUYER pays shipping,  3 I ate the shipping
I also eat all PayPal fees as I factor them in my asking price and they do provide me an exceptional Instant and secure transaction
I only buy "buy it now" items on E-bay when the price is lower than other on line places

decades ago I was a e-bay seller and did good...no way today I would jump through their hoops and anti seller stances
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Jay

• Commander
  • 1 Cross +3 Nails= 4 Given
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2021, 04:49:38 PM »
Talk about crazy shipping. There's a guy on the West Coast selling a WINDY URTNOWSKI'S CARDINAL 92 Control Line Kit.
Shipping is twice what the opening bid is.
I shot him a message and he said that that's what eBay listed shipping.
Nice kit.
My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.
Albert Einstein

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2021, 05:48:09 PM »
I have collected a few nice old spark ignition engines on E Bay.  But success requires a close inspection of product.  Some old engines were abused, but others saw little use, and were therefore good bargains.  I'm not an engine collector, and all my old engines are complete and in running condition.  In fact, many are in regular use.
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2021, 10:14:23 PM »

None of this is a problem, Brandon says so.  D>K
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2021, 09:36:00 AM »
Dan,

You are a great eBay customer.  I know this from experience.

Regarding using craigslist to sell stuff, that can work.  A friend had a set of history books he offered for free on craigslist.  No takers.  When he offered the books on eBay, got hundreds and used USPS Media Mail.  Even the craigslist "pickers" missed that one as a resale opportunity, and it was easy to do a google search for the value.

My point is that something as rare as an Aurora RTF needs access to a wide market, but a common lawnmower does not.

And your point is well taken. Shipping just one old Hot Rock EZ-Just handle has a prohibitive cost.  Yet I need about two to four of these for my flight training set.

Peter

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2021, 03:51:31 PM »
None of this is a problem, Brandon says so.  D>K

Let's Go Brandon!  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here