News:

• May 06, 2024, 01:13:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wheels for Grass, How Big??  (Read 2412 times)

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Wheels for Grass, How Big??
« on: July 09, 2007, 11:37:22 PM »
Subject Question:

What size wheels are you guys using on grass?

What size for a 40 oz. plane? and a 50 oz. plane? Do you find it is better to use wide smaller dia. or narrow larger dia. ?? I know grass sites vary a lot, but it would help to have input from others to get an idea of what to use on different weight planes. ..... TIA for your help. :-)

Short Editorial: (AKA rant? ;-)

I slipped this in because it is so quiet here now. .... I know all the CL pilots in the NE part of the USA are at the NE Regional Nats, so this wheel question is mainly for us in the West and South. ....... (who are all still hoping some day to have a Nats in our area, closer than 2,000+ mi. away?)  HB~>   n1

PS: the above paragraph was just whining, and crying over spilt milk. It was NOT meant to open old wounds, or start something.  If you want to comment on this very sensitive subject, please start it on a separate thread. My guess is that Sparky would hang me by my thumbs if he thought that I really meant to start up on this "East coast Nats" subject here.  LL~

I just want to know more about Grass Wheels for CL, so please keep replies on wheels, and forgive my small attempt to "vent" for a moment.  n~

Regards,   H^^
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Ken Deboy

• Commander
    • Silk and Dope
Re: Wheels for Grass, How Big??
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 11:51:34 PM »
I use 2" to 2-1/2" foam wheels. They seem to work better if left stock width. Wider helps them ride over the grass instead of digging in. Important to make sure they spin freely on the axles, otherwise it's sometimes difficult to build up enough speed for takeoff before hitting the end of the mowed strip and nosing over. Also, if you're flying from long grass with a mowed take off strip, make ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN the plane isn't positioned so the inboard wheel will run off the mowed part into the long part. If it does, things can get interesting. All in all, I like flying off grass - has saved engines twice so far for me.

cheers,
Ken
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 04:40:32 AM »
Over here in Northeast Ohio, The Northcoast Controliners  have three grass circles that we maintain. Even though we work very hard on the mowing all three circles are slightly differant however 40 size and up are usually 2.500 diameter. Either Dave Brown standard width with grooves or Brodaks. Deepending on skill level sometimes up to 3.00. There are no airplanes at our field with wheel pants normally. At our contest in September a few will show up with wheel pants in Classic but its a chore getting them up even though we cut the lowest we can.
Wayne Buran
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 06:44:57 AM »
To a very large extent, it depends on just what type of grass you have. If you're fortunate enough to live in an area where Bermuda Grass thrives, many times it'll be like a golf green (or fairway, at worst) and wheel size doesn't matter, except for ½A. You just imagine that it's soft concrete, and everything's fine.

Here in SE Texas, the most common grass is St. Augustine - - Think of Bermuda on steriods. I fly (mostly) from a Soccer field, shich is well-stomped St. Augustine, and generally use 2" - 2½" wide-tread wheels with no problems. ½A generally must use a portable take-off surface, or actual pavement, anyhow.

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 07:48:52 AM »
Rudy,
greetings again, long time since we chatted, I still have my electric stuff, just not ready to put it up yet, I still come down abruptly a bit to often by being aggresive doncha know? My P-40 and my thus derived Gee Bee both use 2 1/2 " wheels and I fly off very diverse grass feilds. Once in  a while I have a problem because the school hasnt mowed recently, after a couple flights though I manage to cut a swath with the prop  and it gets easier kinda like the funny cars, make sure you start in your burnout tracks lol ::) LL~ LL~
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 08:24:30 AM »
Biggest problem for me on grass is being sure the lines aren't snagged on a stray weed stalk before launching.  On a bad field, I'll run the lines through my hands on the way to the handle to be sure they're free.

I just went down to measure--I have 3" wheels on my Fox .35 powered stunter, and  3 1/2" on a big ol' biplane with an OS .40 in it.  Both narrow treads. I obviously like big wheels! I've always flown over grass, just seems easier on engines.

Also, I think the bigger wheels are more important on landing than taking off.
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 11:31:51 AM »
On a bad field, I'll run the lines through my hands on the way to the handle to be sure they're free.

You mean you don't do this every single flight? As a matter of course? With .008 cable? For shame, Ray! The extra 2 seconds can't matter as much as the possibility of a frayed line.

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 12:09:21 PM »
Well, you're right no doubt, but Ralph, I don't use .008 cable, never have, although I have a set...remember I fly on spiderwire which is very forgiving of snags, etc.  I use .018 7strand for my bigger stuff. 

Knowing how fragile .008 is, if I were using it I would for sure be handling it with kid gloves...
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline taildragger-j3

• Lieutenant
  • Me over 1/2 century ago with my Ringmaster Jr.
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 01:02:46 PM »
I've got 2.5" wheels on my Super Clown, and have some 2.25 (I think) to put on my Ringmaster. Our club flys both R/C & C/L everything from 25 sized trainers, to 1/3 scale aerobats. We try to keep it mowed. USUALLY by now there's no problem, because all the grass had died. We've had so much rain here  in SE Texas, we're mowing as much now as we usually do in April/May!

I too "run" the lines from the lead outs to the handle every time I take off. It's a habit of many years, and has saved me from snagging lines more than once.
David Strawn
Aggieland, TX
AMA - 10212 (original!)

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 01:20:27 PM »
I prefer the harder rubber wheels, even though they're a bit heavier than foam.  Foam wheels, like the ones that come with some of the ARFs, really load up with little grass blades, grassburrs, etc., not that it really has anything to do with the subject at hand.  Glen
Glen Wearden

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 06:07:02 PM »
I just HATE flying where there's grassburrs, I'm always kneeling down on one.  That's one thing I was glad to leave in Okla. when I moved to MN. They're practically nonexistent up here.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 06:39:09 PM »
Okay gentlemen & ladies, I do a lot of flying on grass.   What ever size wheel is called for on the plans I usually go 1/2 inch or one inch bigger.   I have flown planes with 2 inch wheels, but, the landing gear is bent forward usually putting the wheels even with leading edge of the plane.   Anyway not only use bigger wheels but move the wheels forward.   Have fun, DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline dave shirley jr

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 06:49:01 PM »
we fly all the time on grass up here in northern california and all my airplanes have the same wheels you would probably ues on pavement 2" thin foam and 2" wide  foam wheels. with and without wheel pants.actaully i think the wheel pants help they kind of ski. i have never noticed Fancher, Buck, Granderson or anyone else change there wheels to fly at our field, and phil almost allways has pants on!!!(on the plane that is) I personally like thinner ones for grass but some people claim the opposite is best?
unless the grass is soaked after a rain and way too long it is never a problem up here. and yes you should walk your lines outbefore you fly.
Dave.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 07:09:45 PM »
I stand properly chastized...henceforward I will always walk my lines out on the way to the handle.  Unless I forget.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 07:23:37 PM »
Hi guys, I've seen some people put down one of those kids slip and slides, pinned to the ground. I guess landing might be short but it works. Prop clearance can be a problem but its neat watching someone cut his way through the grass. It'll either take off or not, give it full up and forget about any points. If you have one of those rocket engines it will leap in the air. Just kidding, have a great day, Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2007, 08:06:09 PM »
I fly on some pretty rough and often tall grass with a vector 40. I use Dave Brown 3 inch wheels. The vector 40 pants work really well with them. Just cut an opening in the top of the pant for the wheels to protrude thru. The wheels keep the high enough that they are not an issue and in the air they really hide the size of the wheels. There were some racing planes in the 30's with pants like this.

Bob Branch

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2007, 10:30:20 PM »
I only fly off grass - we  have only ac couple of paved circles in the country!!!
I use 2" wheels - with wheelpants  - ever had a problem

In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 08:41:31 AM »
Clearing lines for takeoff...

After walking out your lines (I do this to clear potential tangles) and you reach the handle, have your launcher raise the airplane above the grass level, as you raise the handle over your head at the same time. This will clear any possible snags in your lines. Then lower the plane and the handle keeping the lines snug and (basically) out of the grass. Then launch.

Guess how I learned this? (Sorry Lou)

Ward

I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2007, 11:39:34 AM »
Seems like the smallest, most insignificant weeds will cause the plane to turn in on the pilot and chase him around.  Been there, done that!   Glen
Glen Wearden

Offline taildragger-j3

• Lieutenant
  • Me over 1/2 century ago with my Ringmaster Jr.
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2007, 02:40:02 PM »
Great suggestion, Glen. I've done that before, but not every time. I almost lost my Ringmaster in the Scobee practice circle (before I actually did lose it in the wind) by NOT clearing the lines. After that escapade, I was sure to have my son-in-law lift the plane.
David Strawn
Aggieland, TX
AMA - 10212 (original!)

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2007, 03:37:49 PM »
Scobee, when you launched for me, was the last one.  Remember, David?  I still think you were trying to sabotage me. VD~  Just kidding////////////////Glen
Glen Wearden

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here