News:

• May 01, 2024, 07:39:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What was this guy thinking???  (Read 1599 times)

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
What was this guy thinking???
« on: March 09, 2009, 07:42:54 PM »
[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d6suhk7hMNs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d6suhk7hMNs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

OUCH !
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: What was this guy thinking???
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 09:23:02 PM »
Not much of anything? I've often had people waltz right through a line of cones, duck under perimiter barricades, and otherwise twarted all efforts to keep them safe. One of the worst jackasses was a CAP hotshot pilot...old enough to know better...probably 40-ish.  He said he knew all about our models, as he walked on the lines. I think Chris Gomez or Rod Claus pointed out to him...that he apparently didn't. Good thing, too, 'cause I was about to kick his ass...right after I nudged Gomez forward.  j1   LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 09:54:43 PM »
I think the fault lies with the pilot more than anyone else. He flies this very large model so close to a crowd of spectators that he has to maneuver wildly to avoid them, and then hits a spectator at the end of what looks like an impossibly short runway. How could the pilot or his spotter (he did have a spotter, right?) not have seen and avoided these people? This is a cardinal rule of aviation at any scale. At least the German narration is pretty amusing.

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 11:41:06 PM »
I think the fault lies with the pilot more than anyone else. He flies this very large model so close to a crowd of spectators that he has to maneuver wildly to avoid them, and then hits a spectator at the end of what looks like an impossibly short runway. How could the pilot or his spotter (he did have a spotter, right?) not have seen and avoided these people? This is a cardinal rule of aviation at any scale. At least the German narration is pretty amusing.

Hi Mike,

It looked to me as if the pilot was trying to land at too high an airspeed and got "ground fright", much like I see at the nearby R/C field.  The pilot did, however, manage to get the 747 on the ground in OK condition until the collision with the dimwit.  The spectators seemed to be far enough back...however, the idiot at the end of the runway was directly in the path (what's with that?) of the landing model.

Bill
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 07:20:50 PM »
Looks like all are at fault.  But, the last time my son flew a radio plane he was doing touch and goes.  After about two dozen he ran out of power as he was coming in.  Lucky the engine was not running as another pilot walked out on the runway.  Seems he was going to land after my son had already called dead stick.  Anyway the guys transmitter went flying and the plane under power was passing in front of us.  Could not get control as battery came out of transmitter.  The gent assumed all resposibility after we got his plane back.  Only damage was guys middle finger was knocked out of joint.  The son has not flown radio since.  DOC Holliday

PS:We were behind the flight barrier and I was the spotter.  Didn't realize the guy was walking out onto the runway.  We thought we had clearance.  jeh
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 12:34:36 AM »
Looks like the pilot and spotter were doing their jobs, up to the point of the "photographer" sneaking out on the over-run. He probably thought that the models don't land all the way out in the grass, that they're all under control. The swept wing 747 model looked a bit hyper in the "dutch roll" phenomenon and the control inputs in the landing flare caused a real big roll series but he did well keeping it together and touched down well, and probably would've rolled out nicely until he hit the "photographer".
I saw another You Tube beauty where a guy is landing a fine scale WW1 model and his buddy just walks out behind everyones view and gets whacked during the landing roll. Beats up the model and there were plenty of "what the **** were you doings" on the audio.
No matter what, when flying models there are people there that don't get it. You should see it at real airshows, and some are the participants. Often it's too ugly for words.
Chris...

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 10:13:40 AM »
During my NAVY stint I was about 20 feet from a Yellow shirt that backed into the prop on a Willy Fud waiting for it's turn on the cat. Engines were at idle but all you saw was a big red blur. Flight crew washed him off the deck with fire hoses. Bet he would have much rather been the guy at the end of the runway in the video.

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 10:23:07 AM »
Perhaps the guy was the designated "safety barrier" in lieu of an arresting hook.  ;D  ::)  LL~  H^^

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 08:54:39 PM »
Glad it wasn't a real one!

Jim Pollock   Z@@ZZZ

Advertise Here
Tags: