News:

• April 27, 2024, 10:10:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What to do with old trophies - moving  (Read 908 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
What to do with old trophies - moving
« on: February 28, 2024, 04:56:36 PM »
Guys,
I am getting my house packed to move to NC. I have had to give away lots of RC stuff that I won't be doing anytime soon. Now I have a fair number of trophies, some are special and others are fun but I need to reduce what I take with me. What have you guys done with old trophies? I think I could remove the award plate and maybe make a board to mount them on. For the trophies themself I could see if local clubs can use them? Any other ideas?

Best,    DennisT

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: What to do with old trophies - moving
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2024, 05:23:12 PM »
After my last move when I moved my trophies, many of which had been packed in boxes for a number of years from a previous move, I unpacked all of them together with the ones I wanted to keep, put them all on the patio and took pictures of them.  Some of these were over 40 years old and together with the rest, most had little or no sentimental value.

I kept the ones that had some meaning or value to me which were mostly plaques. I gave the trophies that could be reused to the local model club and the Boy Scouts so they could be relabeled and modified to whatever they wanted to do with them and  I trashed the rest.  Framed the pictures and mounted the these pictures along with the "sentimental" plaques.  Makes for a nice "trophy wall" that represents some of my modeling career.

Keith

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2024, 06:51:39 PM »
Fires work well.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2024, 07:17:37 PM »
Guys,? I think I could remove the award plate and maybe make a board to mount them on. For the trophies themself I could see if local clubs can use them? Any other ideas?

Best,    DennisT

That's what I did with all the "Glider" trophies I had. Now the plates sit in a drawer collecting dust or not.

Cheer, Jerry

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2024, 07:37:13 PM »
If all else fails, drop them off at a trophy shop. Maybe they can reuse some bits and pieces?

Fun story:  a few years back I won a local racing event at our "big" contest of the year. Later, as I was reading thru old model magazines I saw a picture of that very same trophy from maybe the 1960's. Maybe I'll find someplace to donate it one of these days. Kind of a different take on a "perpetual" trophy....

Offline Doug Moisuk

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2024, 08:57:39 AM »
I took the name plates of the trophies and put them all in a framed board I then gave the trophies to a club to reuse.
Doug Moisuk
MAAC 3360L

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2024, 10:17:41 AM »
I decided even while I was still actively competing that trophies are just a hassle and gave mine to a club to recycle, keeping only a plaque from the Nats.

That's just me.  Doubt I'll ever "lose" the memories of how they were acquired, and I much prefer photos to rekindle the memories.  Again, just a personal preference ...

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Online Donald Main

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2024, 10:42:04 AM »
A friend of mine took the marble pieces off and gave them to me for weights when gluing.

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2024, 10:48:07 AM »
local little league as well.
AMA 13001

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2024, 04:04:12 PM »
Trophies.  I had bowling trophies too, but gave them away quickly.  Loved remembering the games, but the trophies just required dusting.  Again, personal perspective.

Sportsmanship is a big deal to me, so in the many years I was associated with clubs that sponsored contests (for that matter, I was often the CD), I sometimes purchased a special trophy on my own and asked a couple of friends to observe the contest and pick a winner for the Sportsmanship Award.

A special memory for me is the year my friends picked a young Jim Ehlen as the winner.  Jim didn't even fly in that contest if I remember correctly, but was so busy helping his brother and anyone else that needed help that he simply stood out.

Some here might recognize the name.  Jim went on to place 2nd in Senior Combat at the Nats way back when, and I believe finished 2nd in Open Combat twice in the last 5 years or so.

It's people like him and those memories that have made this hobby special to me.

If I may digress: I grew up in a Southern Minnesota town of perhaps 10,000 people and was fortunate to be able to wrestle in a state championship program, when all schools were combined.  We narrowly defeated our closest rival and then went on to set what was then a state record by going undefeated in dual meets for 3 years, even taking on the Iowa State Champions annually for good measure.

And I will never forget, as probably an impressionable 12 or 13-year old, defeating that rival on their home turf and then retiring to a cafeteria, where we were feasted and treated like long-lost family.

So, if I may offer a suggestion: do what you can to convert your unwanted awards to Sportsmanship Awards for youth.  God knows we need that as much as anything today!
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2024, 07:03:01 PM »
I gave all mine to a local voy scout troop.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2024, 10:46:50 AM »
I just simply threw them out every few years. Didn't remember about them by a year really. I today can only remember one competition. That small disc I still have on a shelf, laying flat at eye level. They were just a one day thing to me. just me

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2024, 08:30:04 AM »
Guys,
Thanks for the suggestions. I call a local Awards shop and they were glad to take them.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2024, 08:37:30 AM »
I gave mine to the Club I helped to start to recycle and then I threw out eight(8) barrells of Combat and Racing trophies! Now I have accumulated another batch of dust collectors and think the marble bases,if any, would make nice building weights. An old friend of mine, now gone, used to use the real wood in the bases to make custom flying handles with!!

Phil Spillman   
Phil Spillman

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2024, 02:39:40 PM »

We have lived in the same house for 43 years. The trophies I had when we moved here, I brought with us. Since then, my wife has been hanging all the ones that will hang on the walls of a spare bedroom/ building room. The others are sitting on a chest full of antique spark engines. I retired 19 years ago, but we decided we would never move again unless we had to. I keep thinking the pickers will come by some day. LOL. 
Jim Kraft

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2024, 08:21:30 PM »
My workroom has one wall plastered with trophies. One day my visiting grandson asked if they were “participation trophies”. Oddly enough I let him live. (He’s bigger and stronger by far than I am now).

I also will have to deal with the pile in the future. Sadly, the two I most valued disappeared in our last move. 😢
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2024, 09:34:40 AM »
I have been recycling the older trophies to be used as our concours award at our Broken Arrow CL stunt contest in Sept here in St Louis. We have a pick your own trophy system at two of our annual contests where you get the award tab for your event that you won and you pick the trophy you like.  We have recycled the marble bases and other parts to create new trophies.

Keep a look out for special ones that the local club might want back

Some of the really old ones have the metal airplane toppers that can be removed and sold on Ebay

Some are not any value at all and should be pitched

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2024, 11:01:04 AM »
My wife solved the problem.  She won't let me bring them into the house.  Fortunately our club gave up trophies a long time ago.  Certificates were tolerated as long as they were hung in my shop.  Fire got those a couple of years back so now I only have one lonely Beer Mug for a 2nd at the Southwesterns back in the 70's.  Life is good.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2024, 10:46:54 PM »
When I moved from Michigan to New Hampshire in 1976, I brought around 24 trophies and never unpacked them.  A few 1sts, a few 2nds and the rest 3rds.  A couple of years later, they went to the town dump, along with a new Fox 15, a new reverse rotation crankshaft for an OS Max 35S and other modeling stuff.  My new location had no hobby shops, places to fly, clubs or Flying buddies, so I retired from the sport.  I had a new job and home to focus on.  I still have my 2 NATS planes from '73, '74 and '75.  I also have my original SS III from the Flying Models article.

Often times I remember those years of contest flying and regret having disposed of so many memories.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Dave Harmon

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Tulsa Glue Dobbers C/L and R/C Clubs
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2024, 09:52:40 AM »
Often times I remember those years of contest flying and regret having disposed of so many memories.

That's right and also why I still have every one of mine!

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2024, 07:59:19 PM »
lately I've been giving my trophies to Tim Stagg and John Saunders.  I gave Tim my first place at StuntFest and at Eastern Shore I gave my first to John Saunders (iirc)    ;D

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here