News:

• April 26, 2024, 11:15:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What to build next?  (Read 2413 times)

Online Steve Glass

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
What to build next?
« on: December 14, 2021, 03:13:51 PM »
Hi Guys, I'm looking for suggestions as to my next stunt build.

My current fleet is a scratch-built Teosawki and a Fancherised Twister.
I'm a few manoeuvres short of flying the schedule, which I hope to nail fairly shortly, squares are my problem but getting there!

So!  I'm looking for a modern ship that would suit a 46la?

Scratch-built from plans would work best as shipping on a kit or ARF is not a realistic option. 

Steve

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: What to build next?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2021, 03:17:54 PM »
Go browse all the manufacturers,  the photos on here and get suits you. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Neil Rogers

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2021, 03:48:39 PM »
A Vector 40 with a 46LA is an excellent combination.  You can get the plan from Randy Smith.

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • I'm here purely for the fun of it.
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2021, 03:54:59 PM »

I'm a few manoeuvres short of flying the schedule, which I hope to nail fairly shortly, squares are my problem but getting there!

Scratch-built from plans would work best as shipping on a kit or ARF is not a realistic option. 

Steve

When you enter the scratch built arena the sky is the limit. First I would suggest you spend some time to define your mission statement. What is it you want to achieve with this next "step up" airplane. Typically non flapped airplanes aren't going to do good square corners or at least present well doing them. I've done a few stunt models and the SV11 I am flying currently is a good handle time builder. Randy has plans for the SV22 which is the same plane as the RTF SV11. The AMA plan service has some good stunt models in their list as does Bob Hunt, Randy Smith and others. Build Ted's Imitation for a profile or go all out and follow Paul and do an Impact. I'd spend $150 and get several sets of plans to see what suits your style. Then just contemplate where you truly want to go. And if'n you're like me and other guys, you'll just put together all the pieces you like from those airplanes and build it in to yours.
Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2021, 05:54:04 PM »

Steve

My advice is to expand on what you have. You already have what you need for plans for wings. Now just expand on what you have . I am of the belief that it is bad to jump around from plane to plane at the early stages. I think it's best to stay with one design with cosmetic changes to please your eye and tastes. You can build a full fuselage for the Twister wing, and build the model to the Fancherized dimensions.  Use the same type of controls, and you will most likely have a new model that will fly pretty much like your old one. There is a lot to be said for that as you work your way up through doing the whole pattern. You can add a rib bay to each wing tip on the Twister wing to help carry any extra weight that will come with a more complex model. And you can make it look like anything you want! Lots of pictures out there for inspiration. If you go that route and it's successful, do one more like that as a back up. Then go design hopping and pick something to your taste. By that time you will have decided on a lot of things that you like or don't like, and and kind of get into a groove with your building and your flying.
  Good luck and have fun!
,  HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2021, 09:18:57 PM »
 As a next step a Legacy .40 would be an excellent choice combined with your LA.46. A top performing design in a slightly smaller package. y1

https://brodak.com/legacy-40-kit.html
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2021, 10:15:50 PM »
If your goal is to compete then you already have one of the three planes you will need to cover most contests.  That is the Fancherized Twister for profile.  That *plane* is more than capable of 550+ patterns.  I would be using it to work on the squares because it flies closer to the state of the art PA planes than do the flapless profiles.  If I were in your position I think I would choose the Vector 40 and power it with a BadAss 2820-780 or, if you must, an LA46.  If you want something that can double as PA and Classic you might try a United.  When I lost my fleet in a fire I got to borrow and fly both the United and the Vector 40.  Both are rather simple builds, competitive, and a great next step. 

ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2021, 10:58:38 PM »
If you are building around an LA46, I would say build an Imitation or a Pathfinder. 

Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Online Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2021, 05:26:15 AM »
Why is shipping a problem???
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2021, 06:12:33 AM »
Steve,
If you are going to do scratch build one thing that would make your life easier is to get a laser cut rib set from Brodak. They sell rib sets for all the kits they sell. Just browse the kits and get the plans and rib set and build. Or pick a good ship get the plans and rib set then using the basic numbers from that ship create your own fuse/wing/tail feather lines that you like and build.

If you are going to buy a kit Brodak has held prices for now on the stock they have, it is a good time to buy. I bought a OTS Viking at a good price, new stock from some sellers seems to have doubled in price.

Best,    DennisT

Online Steve Glass

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2021, 07:12:16 AM »
Thanks for the replies, all excellent suggestions.  I'll do some research this evening and make some choices.

Steve

Offline Tim Stagg

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2021, 07:31:42 AM »
Steve,

I agree with the Vector or legacy for you first full fuse stunter, both can carry you to expert. 

I also agree that you should learn the complete pattern with the profile and get comfortable flying it with those.

Best of luck

Tim Stagg

Online Steve Glass

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2021, 12:44:17 PM »
Why is shipping a problem???

I live on Guernsey, Channel Islands.  To get anything delivered is difficult or expensive or both.  However we still have a model shop :)

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2021, 01:01:41 PM »
I live on Guernsey, Channel Islands.  To get anything delivered is difficult or expensive or both.  However we still have a model shop :)

That's kind of what I figured when I read your original post. That's why I figured you already have quite a bit of what you need to do what you want to do. You have materials available, and you have some experience with what you have done so far. Since you are posting on here, you also must have internet access so can download plans and other information. Check out the Outerzone plans site and the others for more plans for stunt models than you can shake a palm tree at!  As long as you can get plans printed, you are on your way. If you have the space on a table large enough, you can draw outlines for new designs also. You can expand what you are doing but still keep things simple. The rest is just up to your imagination.
  HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Online Steve Glass

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2021, 02:21:44 PM »
In this instance, to get a current modern design that incorporates all the latest thinking, I guess that I have to pay rather than download.  Just checked on the Brodak website and the cost of a the Legacy 40 plans are $14 with $4.20 shipping.

Steve

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2021, 04:21:31 PM »
Here's a link to (free to download) Ted Fancher Imitation plans and the accompanying article.

http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=8495
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Leonard Bourel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2021, 04:50:04 PM »
Steve If you can get plans or a Kit of the Brodak Cardinal or P40 They are both really top notch flying profiles as well as the ones mentioned above. Hope your build goes well

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2021, 05:55:54 PM »
In this instance, to get a current modern design that incorporates all the latest thinking, I guess that I have to pay rather than download.  Just checked on the Brodak website and the cost of a the Legacy 40 plans are $14 with $4.20 shipping.

Steve

Great choice, I'd stick with it.  y1

If you're only ordering plans because you're thinking shipping may be too expensive for the entire kit I'd at least consider adding a rib set to the order...

https://brodak.com/legacy-40-rib-set.html

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2021, 06:00:02 PM »

Wow, I just Googled your location, definitely a challenge!

Wayne Willey

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2021, 11:39:24 PM »
Yeah, but he's got a million dollar ocean view right from the pilot's circle....

The Divot

Online Steve Glass

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2021, 10:19:33 AM »
Yeah, but he's got a million dollar ocean view right from the pilot's circle....The Divot

Indeed, we at the Guernsey Model Club are so blessed.  The club is entirely RC except me.  A challenging place to fly RC as a landing off the field is on rocks or sea.

The site itself is quite interesting. To the west is the pistol club range. To the south is a Tower from napoleonic times.  To the east is a contaminated old quarry that was filled with oil that came ashore after the tanker Torrey Canyon broke up off the Scillies back in the 70's.

Steve

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2021, 11:15:27 AM »

Indeed, we at the Guernsey Model Club are so blessed.  The club is entirely RC except me.  A challenging place to fly RC as a landing off the field is on rocks or sea.

The site itself is quite interesting. To the west is the pistol club range. To the south is a Tower from napoleonic times.  To the east is a contaminated old quarry that was filled with oil that came ashore after the tanker Torrey Canyon broke up off the Scillies back in the 70's.

Steve
The currently suppressed Soaring gene in me can't help but notice that you seem to have great slope potential.  Great fallback when the winds are not to your liking for CL.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Steve Glass

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2021, 03:19:14 PM »
The currently suppressed Soaring gene in me can't help but notice that you seem to have great slope potential.  Great fallback when the winds are not to your liking for CL.

Ken

Slope soaring is a little bit limited on Guernsey. I dabble occasionally. The cliffs are on the south of the island and the main slope site is on the south-west corner. Flying the downwind leg before coming in to land you have to dodge the naval observation tower built by the Germans during the WW2 occupation.

Steve

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2021, 01:14:57 PM »
An Al Rabe Critical Mass with Ro Jett 90 would also be a good choice.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2021, 10:35:47 PM »
Glassman,

I think you are missing an opportunity here. Simply fly from the top of the naval observation tower. Do not worry too much if your pullouts are a bit low. (But don't drag the lines on the parapet.)

The LA .46 is a wonderful "no fuss" engine for a wide range of planes. In our club they seem to be the standard in things from Pathfinders, to P-40's, and more. Often times, more engine than you need, but they do not fuss about it.

The Divot

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2021, 12:17:30 PM »
If you're a few maneuvers short of the schedule, build another Fancherized Twister or Teosawki, slap the 46 on it, and fly it like you stole it until you can do those maneuvers without crashing.  The 46 is a bit big for a Twister, but it's easy to tone it down (and it's great on an overweight Twister).

If you just want to build a full-bodied stunter, then a Legacy 40 would work nice, or scale an Impact down by 10% or so (because -- you're scratch building; you can do what you want to).  I've seen accounts by a few people flying Impact-sized airplanes with a 46LA on a pipe.  Apparently it works well.  I thought of going that route, but setting up a 46LA with a pipe costs about $200 less money than just buying a PA + pipe setup, and you're going to spend more than $200 of trouble and uncertainty going the piped 46LA route.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2021, 06:27:44 PM »

The LA .46 is a wonderful "no fuss" engine for a wide range of planes. In our club they seem to be the standard in things from Pathfinders, to P-40's, and more. Often times, more engine than you need, but they do not fuss about it.

Great advice.  y1

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2021, 06:30:06 PM »

If you're a few maneuvers short of the schedule, build another Fancherized Twister or Teosawki, slap the 46 on it, and fly it like you stole it until you can do those maneuvers without crashing.  The 46 is a bit big for a Twister, but it's easy to tone it down (and it's great on an overweight Twister).

Also good advice.  y1

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2021, 06:31:23 PM »

An Al Rabe Critical Mass with Ro Jett 90 would also be a good choice.

Might be a bit early in the programme for that one.  ;D

Wayne Willey

Online Doug Moisuk

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2021, 06:43:42 PM »
Vector vector VECTOR
Doug Moisuk
MAAC 3360L

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2021, 09:50:06 PM »

For a 46la the Pathfinder is the perfect model in size and performance  for you to learn the whole pattern.

You may want to get in contact with Pat Johnston, he has some very good plans, like a reduced version of the Impact for a 46LA.

Martin

Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Online Steve Glass

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2021, 02:02:32 AM »
Thanks again for all your suggestions, spoilt for choice. Might pass on the Critical Mass however!

Starting this thread has made me consider my goals…….

The challenge of just flying the stunt schedule would fulfil one lifetime ambition.
Should be able to make a couple of competitions each year on the mainland, starting with the BMFA class2 level. Class2 is a ‘lite’ version of the F2B schedule.
Just wish I started on this 30 years ago.

Steve

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2021, 07:03:16 AM »
Thanks again for all your suggestions, spoilt for choice. Might pass on the Critical Mass however!

The challenge of just flying the stunt schedule would fulfil one lifetime ambition.
Should be able to make a couple of competitions each year on the mainland, starting with the BMFA class2 level. Class2 is a ‘lite’ version of the F2B schedule.

Steve
You might be surprised how quickly you progress.  There are really only a handful of skills you need to learn.  The rest is simply combining them into different patterns. 

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2021, 08:04:54 PM »
Skill #1: Starting engine without feeding the propeller your hand

Skill #2: Continuing each maneuver, smoothly above the ground

Skill #3: Enjoying building whatever comes to mind, and sharing that creation with others

There may be more skills required. I don't know. I'm still working on 1-3....

The Divot

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • I'm here purely for the fun of it.
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2021, 08:10:35 PM »
Skill #1: Starting engine without feeding the propeller your hand

Skill #2: Continuing each maneuver, smoothly above the ground

Skill #3: Enjoying building whatever comes to mind, and sharing that creation with others

There may be more skills required. I don't know. I'm still working on 1-3....

The Divot

Yup...
Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2022, 08:05:55 PM »
For what it is worth, when I was trying to figure out what my first full fuselage build was going to be, Allen Brickhaus advised me to build two Humongous ships and learn how to build and fly using those two planes.  That is what I did and it worked well for me with a OS LA .46 in the nose.

Mike

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2022, 08:32:55 PM »
!

Steve

Well, just doing the pattern completely and confidently is a most admirable goal and one that I set for myself at the beginning also. And it was very satisfying to reach that goal. It's never too late to get started either. You may think you are too old, but you are also more patient, more focused, and probably pay attention to details better now than when you were younger. Add that to the fact that you WANT to do this! Only thing left is to go for it!
     Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline SteveMoon

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
    • www.ultrahobbyproducts.com
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2022, 08:44:40 AM »
A very good next step plane would be the Bucaneer 740 designed by
Allen Brickhaus. It's an easy to build full bodied ship that is a perfect
match for the OS 40-46 LA motors.

Steve

Online Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2022, 12:29:12 PM »
I would note that not only does Brodak sell laser cut wing ribs for all their kit designs, they also sell plans for them all. There are also a bunch of online plans sources all around the world; some sell in .pdf form and some sell the paper type. Pat Johnston would be my #1 source for plans and laser cut parts.

IMO, it would make sense to build some sort of Classic legal design, so that you could fly the same model in multiple events. The .46LA is a good match for Tom Warden's (classic) profile (can't remember the name of it), and I would not hesitate using one on a Dick Mathis "Excalibur", but it would have to be the first version to be classic legal. The Pathfinder (and derivatives, like the Starfinder), 4runner and MoBest would be excellent profiles for you, but not Classic legit. Something like a Skylark or Thunderbird would be great Classic models for the .46LA.  y1 Steve   
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2022, 03:05:21 PM »
I would note that not only does Brodak sell laser cut wing ribs for all their kit designs, they also sell plans for them all.

I have used the Brodak rib sets, they are outstanding.

IMO, it would make sense to build some sort of Classic legal design, so that you could fly the same model in multiple events.

That is the same logic I used to build the Sandpiper Trifecta since I don't have time for three new ships this year.
A Profile designed pre 1970 with PA capability.  There are many.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2022, 06:25:49 PM »

Minus arfaninch on the nose .or so .

Online Steve Glass

• Lieutenant
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2022, 06:11:31 AM »
Thanks guys for all your help and advice.

I hear what you are saying about building something classic legal, however, my heart is set on making a modern design. Vintage stunt is quite active in the UK, but again, I'm just not inspired.

Talking about inspiration, I like the look of the Legacy 40 and I've ordered the plans from Brodak's (nice people). Didn't order the rib-set at the moment, but that will probably change.

The plan for the 2022 season is to continue learning with a Teosawki and to continue carefully trimming the Fancherised Twister as there's still a few trim issues to sort out (getting close!).  I intend to get a really good start building the Legacy 40 before the 2022 flying season kicks-off again. 

Oh, one last thing, Have I ever told you how much I like the Teosawki?  The Teosawki flies just that bit slower that my previous models (Ringmaster and Flite Streak) so the poor brain can keep up. Also, no matter what I do, it's always pulling tight on the lines, giving you the confidence to attempt the more daunting manoeuvres. Definitely build another. 

Steve

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2022, 03:57:39 PM »
Thanks guys for all your help and advice.

I hear what you are saying about building something classic legal, however, my heart is set on making a modern design. Vintage stunt is quite active in the UK, but again, I'm just not inspired.

Talking about inspiration, I like the look of the Legacy 40 and I've ordered the plans from Brodak's (nice people). Didn't order the rib-set at the moment, but that will probably change.

The plan for the 2022 season is to continue learning with a Teosawki and to continue carefully trimming the Fancherised Twister as there's still a few trim issues to sort out (getting close!).  I intend to get a really good start building the Legacy 40 before the 2022 flying season kicks-off again. 

Oh, one last thing, Have I ever told you how much I like the Teosawki?  The Teosawki flies just that bit slower that my previous models (Ringmaster and Flite Streak) so the poor brain can keep up. Also, no matter what I do, it's always pulling tight on the lines, giving you the confidence to attempt the more daunting manoeuvres. Definitely build another. 

Steve

Spring-boarding off of what my dad said a bit: if you want a bigger model and something more modern, build a profile version of the Legacy 40.  Build the wing and stab per the plans and use the side view of the fuselage as a pattern for a profile fuse.  Keep the moments and measurements the same and it should build fairly quick.  Then, if you like that setup, same thing as the Ol' Man suggested: make cosmetic changes to suit your taste.  Many designs out there are based on previous designs i.e. there were ALOT of models based on the Nobler.  Good luck! 

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2022, 06:08:47 PM »

The plan for the 2022 season is to ... continue carefully trimming the Fancherised Twister as there's still a few trim issues to sort out (getting close!).

Don't ever stop refining the trim on a plane.  You're never done, and always learning.  In your case, you're also still learning.  If you don't already have a copy, hunt down one of Paul Walker's trim articles and follow the instructions.  I think there's articles on the PAMPA site if you're a member, or you can check out his columns in Flying Lines.

(Or his Impact article in Flying Models from 1991, or -- well, he's been writing about trim for a good long time now).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here