News:

• May 14, 2024, 07:38:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What designs use a Sig Super Chipmunk Wing?  (Read 1511 times)

Offline Jeremy Chinn

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
What designs use a Sig Super Chipmunk Wing?
« on: January 02, 2024, 05:44:12 PM »
I found Sarpolus’ Challenger. Are there other designs that use the Sig Chipmunk Wing Kit.

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=7757

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
Re: What designs use a Sig Super Chipmunk Wing?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2024, 07:16:05 PM »
I heard that this plane used the Chipmunk wing.  I can't verify that but maybe someone else can.

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=10639

Offline Jay

• Commander
  • 1 Cross +3 Nails= 4 Given
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2024, 07:39:21 PM »
Dick Scarpolis design Profile Challenger.
That's what I am saving my Chipmunk Wing Kit for.

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=7757

Jay

3 nails
One cross
Forgiven
My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.
Albert Einstein

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2024, 07:48:30 PM »
I heard that this plane used the Chipmunk wing.  I can't verify that but maybe someone else can.

It's mother may have been a Chipmunk but she was sleeping with a Nobler.   mw~

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Jay

• Commander
  • 1 Cross +3 Nails= 4 Given
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2024, 07:50:08 PM »

I don't think that plan you are showing is the Chipmunk wing.  No cutout for the wing mounted landing gear
My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.
Albert Einstein

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2024, 09:00:53 AM »
I'd bet it is even if the designer chose to put the landing gear in different.  They were both designed by the same guy (Jim Van Loo) in roughly the same time period.   Mike Stott later upgraded the kit to a later version with the cheeky cowl but I'm sure the wing didn't change.  Cutting dies were very expensive.  It was a popular wing used in numerous designs by others.   Sig sold a wing kit-just the wing-which made a cheap and dirty way to get a good wing without a lot of work. 

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2024, 09:14:57 AM »
   The Chipmunk wing a a pretty good wing. The biggest change I tell people to make is to ensure you can round off the leading edge more than the plan shows. That might require a bigger leading edge piece. I think the original .35 size Stiletto is very close to a Chipmunk wing. I compared the plans of both and at least the stiletto plan I have looks very close. The Chipmunk wing is an easy wing to build and to build straight and not too heavy. Even if the model comes out a bit porky it carries excess weight well. Sarpolus used the Chipmunk wing on at least one other design he published, the twin engine design that I can't think of the name right now, maybe more.  The best advice I can give on the Challenger is to watch the weight of the fuselage wood. The airplane tends to come out tail heavy and the fuselage is a good candidate for a hollow, built up tail section, and light weight, built up tail surfaces.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2024, 12:50:48 PM »
The 2nd generation Stiletto from M&P Enterprises used Chipmunk ribs. However, if I recall correctly, the span was enlarged by a few inches and the flaps were different.
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2024, 09:16:32 PM »
Lucky for you , was going through miscillaeneous debri ( tidying up ?? ) the other night . And one photocopy ran thus :

I had always liked the side-view shape of the F-105 Thunderchief, but initially discarded it because the head of the model engine would stick down from the slim nose and spoil the jet look. The Sabre Jet configuration was a natural for hiding the engine and I suppose that is why so many of them have been designed as semi-scale stunters over the years.
The Thunderchief would also have to be built as an in-line design. The engine thrust line, wing centerline and tail centerline were all on the same line! I had heard that this configuration might cause problems, especially with the vertical center of gravity. Add to that the fact that this model would have tricycle landing gear and simulated drop tanks, and the potential vertical CG problem loomed even larger.

Naturally, with all those negatives going for this design, I decided to go ahead and build it anyway! Hey, sometimes a good-looking design just has to be tried in spite of the logic of physics... Did it work? You bet! The “Thud” turned out to be a really great flying model that turned equally upright and inverted. In fact, the model flew decidedly better with the
removable drop tanks attached! I think the extra drag allowed me to power-up the OS Max H40S a bit more than normal and have something to “pull” against. Whatever the reasons, that model flew very nicely indeed and it carried me to that elusive first win in the Open class, against worthy competition.

The Chipmunk wing had proven to be a great choice for the slightly larger models that we were all starting to build to accept the more powerful and slightly heavier .40 size engines that were beginning to become avail- able. Instead of making the whole wing larger in span and chord for the F-105, I decided to go for a more high-aspect ratio look and simply extend the span while keeping the stock root and tip chord dimensions. I really liked the high-aspect look, and I fully intend to re-visit it very soon with a new model design.

The Thunderchief was my first published design. I was invited to fly it in a modeling demonstration in Nyack, New York in the fall of 1971, and the legendary model magazine editor, Don McGovern was in attendance. He just loved that model, and he asked me if I would like to have it appear in Flying Models magazine. I quickly accepted his offer, and spent the rest of that fall preparing the article and inking the plans.

https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/wingtip-sapes/msg635998/#msg635998

Now theyll ALL be doing it .  S?P of course , theres more than one Chipmunk . But there ya go .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2024, 10:01:13 PM »
Of course , EVERYBODY used a chipmunk Wing , back then .  S?P

You could buy a RIB SET , so this mightve helped it along .

Offline Jeremy Chinn

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2024, 09:54:27 AM »
Thanks much for the replies everyone! This has given me a lot of reading and also some history lessons.

I've got a set of Chipmunk parts coming along with a purchase of wood, and this thread is giving me some ideas of what to build.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2024, 01:25:30 PM »
Thanks much for the replies everyone! This has given me a lot of reading and also some history lessons.

I've got a set of Chipmunk parts coming along with a purchase of wood, and this thread is giving me some ideas of what to build.

You can search the forum here for a set of "numbers" that will perform well, relative to the power plant you choose. and after building the basic wing make the airplane look like anything you want. The "numbers" are the nose moment, tail moment, to give you the over all size of the model, and then draw in around that with what you want it to look like. try to keep structure to a minimum, and form as much sheet balsa shapes as you can. The Squirrel design was a simple airplane that Jack Sheeks whipped up because he crashed his main airplane and needed something for that year's NATS. He sort of ripped off Bob Hunt's Genesis, and then even used a Chipmunk cowling from the kit he robbed the wing from.  Just keep it simple and no harm in "appropriating" some designs shapes from other ships.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Online ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2024, 07:30:11 AM »
I recently built two Sig Chipmunk wing kits. One flies nicely as a chipmunk scale profile, the other is standing in the corner! The latter came out weighing 4 ounces more than the other!! I love the Chipmunk wing and also have a Challenger that flies nicely. My advice is to keep an eye on the weight of the supplied "balsa" , some of mine was more like pine!
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Jeremy Chinn

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2024, 12:22:02 PM »
Thanks for the building tips!

I need to make a few decisions. Build myself a profile or full fuse. Build from plans or one of my designs with this wing.

I managed to find the original '68 MAN Chipmunk article.

Offline Jeremy Chinn

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2024, 12:24:17 PM »
More of the article

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2024, 12:36:01 PM »
Thanks for the building tips!

I need to make a few decisions. Build myself a profile or full fuse. Build from plans or one of my designs with this wing.

I managed to find the original '68 MAN Chipmunk article.

I built a profile version a century or so ago as an upgrade for the planes i was flying in Beginner class at that time. originally powered with a Fox.35 it was upgraded with a Randy Smith Magnum .40 loaned to me by my good friend , the late Gary Hajek. The airplane flew well with both engines, but met it's early demise when I tried to save a cheap pair of sunglasses that were falling off my head and still pull out on the other side of a wing over!!  At the SIG contest that year, Mike Pratt complimented me on how well it flew. Mine was a profiles of the Super Chipmunk, but it would be cool to do the original outline of a standard DeHavilland Chipmunk. There have bee several other semi scale Chipmunk stunt models  published through the years and a lot of neat paint schemes out there. Just build it straight and true and I think you will be happy with the results.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2024, 09:17:51 PM »
If its a ' crash course ' a simple profile , and concentrate on bullet proof controls & alignment .

Later if it survived , a full fuse could go on , no sweat , IF the flap control horn arms were originally outside the fuse. side positions .
As in a 2 or so inch between the bent arms . A lot of leeway for getting all creative , shapely and so on .
Just been fixateing on a 1960 pommy ' jet nobler ' . Rear fuse is like Bob's F 105 , Hunter fin & canopy . Stab is on fuse. but highishish . ( not at the top ) .
SO NOW I can see a Bob nose on the Pomy hunter'd get it inline & side mount , more hunterish ( The Photo the engines inverted , standardish ) .

Which brings me to , a Simle nose & doblers , running straight bach - slide the back half on , and a few other bits , and It'd look a bit like something . S?P

BUT , straight , No Slack at flaps . Stiff Ones , with close fitting ( or taped hinge ) . also a bit clunky wood , if you cover it with that horrible plastic stuff ,
and the weight should be o.k .  Better for a ' knock about ' than a delicate ornate masterpiece . The book iron on shrinkable stuff like the combat guys use .

Wa Hoo .

predecessor , Moth Minor . Wodden .

Agrification .  ;D

If you can manadge to find a ruler somewhere , thereabouts or a tad more on the moments .
FDP 40 'd have a heavy silencor . Thus theyed be about right . A canopy & a spinner , side mount , and youd get this .

Flat if its a profile . If you had a wood lathe , you could wipe em out with a rolled moulded one from a turned plug / mould .

« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 09:36:04 PM by Air Ministry . »

Offline Jeremy Chinn

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2024, 09:35:35 PM »
Very cool pic Arthur.

Out of all the designs I've done through the years, I've only done one Chipmunk. A pic of it made it into some event coverage in Flying Models.
4ch, throttled Cox .010, handmade clunk tank, fiberglass cowl made with lost foam method and custom canopy.

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2024, 08:03:44 AM »

Vic Macaluso used a modified chipmunk foam wing for his F8 crusader stunter.

Juan

Offline Andy Lee

• New Pilot
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2024, 07:37:16 PM »
Chris Lella's Sundance used a Chipmunk wing.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2024, 09:07:35 PM »
Just curious.  Who's wing was used on the first Chipmunk? LL~

ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here