News:

• April 27, 2024, 06:23:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wanting color pics: The Professor design by Spedaliere/inked by Hunt  (Read 2102 times)

Offline Phil Hawkins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • 909 276 0283
The article regarding this plane is found in the April 1992 Flying Models, but all the pictures are in black & white. I have searched to my best ability to find a color pic. But if anyone out there in Stunt Land has one, I would sure love to see it.
I have been off work all year, things are beyond tight, but I am.hopong to match the scheme as much as possible.
The plane has been gifted to me, it is a meticulous build, just needs a little weight reduction surgery and finish. I am.planning on Ultracote to help keep the weight down.
Anybody? Even a description of the colors will help.
Thanks!

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Wanting color pics: The Professor design by Spedaliere/inked by Hunt
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2023, 10:43:38 PM »
  I haven't gotten the magazine out to review it yet, but I think the author was a acquaintance or Bob Hunt's? I have a vague memory of Bob either writing the intro for the article or ,motioning it some where else, like Stunt News? he raved about the authors wood working techniques used in the construction to get nice, tight glue joints with no visible gaps.  He may have photos or can answer questions about the colors. I'm thinking is was a sort of transparent sil span finishe with trim colors to show off the wood work?? I'll dig it out tomorrow.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Phil Hawkins

• Commander
  • 909 276 0283
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2023, 11:48:04 AM »
  I haven't gotten the magazine out to review it yet, but I think the author was a acquaintance or Bob Hunt's? I have a vague memory of Bob either writing the intro for the article or ,motioning it some where else, like Stunt News? he raved about the authors wood working techniques used in the construction to get nice, tight glue joints with no visible gaps.  He may have photos or can answer questions about the colors. I'm thinking is was a sort of transparent sil span finishe with trim colors to show off the wood work?? I'll dig it out tomorrow.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

Thanks Dan,
I just did a quick read through on the mag article. It does say it was finished in clear dope for a natural finish, but it does not describe the trim colors. I have a week or two to see what comes up. I will probably get ahold of Bob Hunt and see what he remembers. He's pretty good at remembering things!

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2023, 07:51:10 PM »
It looks like a dark colour , and a medium colour . ;)
SORRY .

Was wondering again if this PROFESSOR was the catalyst for Windy's canopy arragements . on the Cardinal .

I see in the B & W pictures , ones in bright light , so appears blue or green is a candadate , aas the ' contrast ' in the more shaded shot LOOKS a dark colour .
Terms have conotations . " DEEP " blue or green , could still be mid or light . As a example a Bugatti Blue finger nail polish , is a DEEP light Blue !  .

If you had B & W shots in varying lights of something you do know the colours , you could compare & pretend to do a spectron anaylsis . And stilll get it wrong .
 S?P ( just kidding . the LAST bit . ) Sometimes you ' hit it ' sometimes it dont . cant hurt to try . Likely red if not those .

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2023, 06:37:15 AM »
My son, Robby has already sent photos of Sped and his two Professor models to Phil. I thought I'd post them here as well just to let everyone else know what those planes looked like.

Sped is one of the very best craftsmen that I know. His wood fits are so perfect that is almost unbelievable. At least it was to me until he told me the secret. Years ago when I was producing Stunt Flyer Video Magazine (a video production) I asked Sped to come to my "studio" (fancy word for shop...) and demonstrate a number of his building techniques. He showed how to wet both surfaces to be glued before applying the Titebond II glue. After taping the parts together securely he used a wet paper towel to wipe off all the excess glue that had been squeezed from the joint. As the water and the glue dried the joint was pulled together to the point where you could only see the seam if the two pieces of balsa were a different shade of color. I've been using that technique ever since.

Sped also demonstrated how to make balsa fillets. He liked to use transparent finishes and to make that work in the fillets they had to blend perfecly to the two surfaces they were connecting. He also demonstrated how to cover balsa surfaces using dyed Japanese Tissue and achieve absolutely perfect seams between pieces making it appear that he had covered the entire model with one big piece of tissue. Just simply amazing. If there was enough interest I could have a few more of those DVD programs featuring Sped made up.

He has a great talent for blending opaque painted areas and transparent tissue areas into beautiful schemes.

Aside from all his incredible building and finishing skills, Sped is also one of the funniest people I've known. Great sense of humor. We traveled together with my son Robby and Joe Perovich (now departed...) to several Nats and those were the most fun Nats I've ever attended. Great guy, and I'm trying hard to get him back into the fold. 

Sped just popped up on the local stunt scene in the late 1980s. I was asked to judge a contest at the Garden State Circle Burners field, and one of the contestants (Sped) had this very unique looking model done up in clear tissue with some purple trim. It was a fairly high aspect ratio design, and I just loved the look of it. After the contest I did something I almost never do and asked Sped (whom I had just met mind you...)  if I could fly it. He agreed and I liked the ship so much I asked him if I could publish it in Flying Models magazine (I was the Editor there at the time). He only had a rough set of pencil plans, so I inked them up and he wrote a great article. Through all this we became fast friends.     

Great memories...

Later - Bob Hunt
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 07:22:21 AM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2023, 04:47:38 PM »
Far Out . Thanks for that.
I dont think many people wouldve guessed the colours right .  :-[

the PLAN looks like it would build LIGHT . Allways been intriueged by it since I first saw it .

Offline Phil Hawkins

• Commander
  • 909 276 0283
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2023, 11:08:32 AM »
My son, Robby has already sent photos of Sped and his two Professor models to Phil. I thought I'd post them here as well just to let everyone else know what those planes looked like.

Sped is one of the very best craftsmen that I know. His wood fits are so perfect that is almost unbelievable. At least it was to me until he told me the secret. Years ago when I was producing Stunt Flyer Video Magazine (a video production) I asked Sped to come to my "studio" (fancy word for shop...) and demonstrate a number of his building techniques. He showed how to wet both surfaces to be glued before applying the Titebond II glue. After taping the parts together securely he used a wet paper towel to wipe off all the excess glue that had been squeezed from the joint. As the water and the glue dried the joint was pulled together to the point where you could only see the seam if the two pieces of balsa were a different shade of color. I've been using that technique ever since.

Sped also demonstrated how to make balsa fillets. He liked to use transparent finishes and to make that work in the fillets they had to blend perfecly to the two surfaces they were connecting. He also demonstrated how to cover balsa surfaces using dyed Japanese Tissue and achieve absolutely perfect seams between pieces making it appear that he had covered the entire model with one big piece of tissue. Just simply amazing. If there was enough interest I could have a few more of those DVD programs featuring Sped made up.

He has a great talent for blending opaque painted areas and transparent tissue areas into beautiful schemes.

Aside from all his incredible building and finishing skills, Sped is also one of the funniest people I've known. Great sense of humor. We traveled together with my son Robby and Joe Perovich (now departed...) to several Nats and those were the most fun Nats I've ever attended. Great guy, and I'm trying hard to get him back into the fold. 

Sped just popped up on the local stunt scene in the late 1980s. I was asked to judge a contest at the Garden State Circle Burners field, and one of the contestants (Sped) had this very unique looking model done up in clear tissue with some purple trim. It was a fairly high aspect ratio design, and I just loved the look of it. After the contest I did something I almost never do and asked Sped (whom I had just met mind you...)  if I could fly it. He agreed and I liked the ship so much I asked him if I could publish it in Flying Models magazine (I was the Editor there at the time). He only had a rough set of pencil plans, so I inked them up and he wrote a great article. Through all this we became fast friends.     

Great memories...

Later - Bob Hunt

Thank you Bob!
Our good friend Warren Walker is the builder of this meticulous plane. There is no way I can compete with Warren's award winning finishes, I am just trying to stay within a tight budget, but have it look identifiable in the air!
As always, I appreciate your insights and story!
If I adjust the color some to compensate for the yellowing of the pictures, I am seeing it as a brilliant magenta color trim. I should be able to come up with something in that color spectrum.
I saw Robby had sent me something, but it required me to approve his message. I clicked on it and it took off for the "Twilight Zone" of the lost web! Hopefully it will circle around and I will stumble on it! He also posted these pics on another on-line home page so I did see them there.
Thanks again! I have been planning on weight reduction surgery and Ultacote, but I am still thinking about that.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2023, 08:00:36 AM »

22:20 here . Might be some of it flying . Purple & white. in the miid back of the row .

Online EricV

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2024, 06:34:27 AM »
I think AI (or maybe a simple bot) just made its first post on the forum... the word professor probably triggered it. Creepy eh?
EricV

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2024, 01:59:35 PM »
I think AI (or maybe a simple bot) just made its first post on the forum... the word professor probably triggered it. Creepy eh?
EricV

That account won't be posting any more spam
AMA 12366

Offline Phil Hawkins

• Commander
  • 909 276 0283
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2024, 07:26:01 PM »
That account won't be posting any more spam

I must have missed something... an AI bot?  I certainly did not intend to trigger any person, or thing!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here