• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
VSC
« on: March 14, 2006, 07:39:49 PM »
I know someone there has a computer. It would be great if someone could give us a day to day update on the contest. Thanks
AMA 12366

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: VSC
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 04:44:06 PM »
I can't tell too much except of my stuff.  Weather is gorgeous with little turbulance.  Temps between 70 & 80.  I just scored my high for VSC with a 244.5 first round flight in Old Time.  Hope to improve tomorrow.  Later,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Chuck Feldman

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 03:15:22 AM »
Wish you well and continued good weather. Please try to send us all the results you can gather.

Roy and I are not there because of an engine problem on the Cessna 340. It was to late to drive it.

Chuck Feldman
Staurt, Fl.
Chuck Feldman
AMA 15850

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 08:06:09 PM »
I can tell you this much as CRS is acting up again.  Bart Klapinski took first in Old Time.  Jim Kraft took first in Ignition.  I have broke into the 200 range with a 244.5 first round and 228 second round.  Now I need to break the 250 range consistently.  Temps still in the 70's with mild breezes.  Appearance judging is complete and they call for a move to a 07:00 pilots meeting.  Flying to start at 07:30.  Later,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 12:33:06 PM »
Southwest Airlines goes there!
Chris...

Wish you well and continued good weather. Please try to send us all the results you can gather.

Roy and I are not there because of an engine problem on the Cessna 340. It was to late to drive it.

Chuck Feldman
Staurt, Fl.

Offline Chuck Feldman

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 01:45:43 AM »
Chris,

Once we knew we couldn't fly to Tucson we considered a rental vehicle. The 30 hour drive would have put us in there sometime on Tuesday and dog tired. We decided that we should accept our fate and wait till next time. So we unloaded our equipment and planes and retired. The commercial airlines where not considered by us as the models are not prepared for shipment on the airlines.

Thanks, Chuck
Chuck Feldman
AMA 15850

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 03:16:53 PM »
Always next year, GOD willing.   DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 07:09:37 PM »
Well bummer,
I had a eight hour drive and still couldn't make it, I had to work.
This is getting in the way of my days off.
Hope to see you all next year.
Chris...

Chris,

Once we knew we couldn't fly to Tucson we considered a rental vehicle. The 30 hour drive would have put us in there sometime on Tuesday and dog tired. We decided that we should accept our fate and wait till next time. So we unloaded our equipment and planes and retired. The commercial airlines where not considered by us as the models are not prepared for shipment on the airlines.

Thanks, Chuck

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 08:09:13 AM »
 :) ;D :D  The VSC 2006 was the best of times.  My wife and I flew out of Dulles IAP on Friday, Mar 10, 2006 and stayed the weekend with her parents in Phoenix.  On Monday, 13 Mar, we hit the road in my Mother-in-Law's Chrysler Town & Country and arrived in Tucson at 1130 AM.  Had lunch and then  went up to Keith Trostle's to get my B-26 and Bellanca Flash.  I had shipped them out to Tucson by Overnite Freight lines previously.  Keith and Pete Peterson helped me assemble both airplanes and then off to Christopher Columbus Park we went.  I got in one practice flight on both that Monday Evening.  The Marauder was right on and the Bellanca needed some trimming.

The rest of the week was great.  OTS was fun as I had never competed in it before.  I had no chance of placing though with the Flash.  It was a Walt Musciano design from 1948 Mechanix Illustrated, August issue.  Very thin wing, 36 oz and only 280 sq in of wing area.  It has an OS 35 Max S with an APC 10x6 two blade.  4.6 lap times, but no real turn capability.  It was always on the verge of a stall and I did pancake it on Wednesday during the vertical 8 on my first official.  Drove the mains through the wing, but 5 hours later I had ready for Thursday.

The Marauder was fun to fly and let everyone enjoy.  My first official with it was not the best as I had a sour lean engine and I overflew by 40 seconds.  I didn't get a second official on Saturday as the winds were gusting over 20 knots.  It was thrilling to watch Werwage, Walker, Rutherford, McDonald and others navigate the gusty winds.

The Banquet was wonderful.  Ted Fancher officiated and everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves.  I especially liked the awarding of the VSC Purple Hearts to the walking wounded.  Mike Keville had several original paintings to give away to deserving flyers.

All in all it was a great time and if you haven't been to one, make the time.
Tom McClain

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 10:19:14 PM »
I just got back. It was fun. The drive was certainly memorable. 1720 miles one way and lots of crazy drivers. Hope to actually trim the Cobra out soon.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here