News:

• April 30, 2024, 05:36:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vintage Combat Sept 7th-GSCB  (Read 1719 times)

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Vintage Combat Sept 7th-GSCB
« on: July 31, 2014, 04:47:23 AM »
See Events section.

Please join us for a fun fly of Vintage combat planes and a Umac Reunion at GSCB field!
Sunday Sept. 7 Hope to see you there!

Thanks
Tom
AMA 13001

Online C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
Re: Vintage Combat Sept 7th-GSCB
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 06:52:13 AM »
It's less than two weeks until September 7 when we will be meeting for the Vintage Combat Plane Festival. We had a great time and a great turn out last year. The event is sponsored by the Garden State Circle Burners and Middlesex Modelers and will be held at the GSCB field in Lincoln Park, NJ.
   In addition the fabled Union Model Airplane Club will be  holding a reunion on site at the same time!! We will also have a 'special award' for the flyer who posts the fastest speed with a vintage plane powered by a baffle piston Fox .36 motor.

The GSCB will be collecting a $5 landing fee. It will help them to maintain this fabulous and historic field. I don't think they would object if you wanted to donate more. Make sure to bring some food and water.

Q. The bottom line is where else in the world will you be able to see/fly as large an array of old time combat machinery powered by growling, howling, smoke belching combat powerplants from the misty past of our youth?  A. Nowhere!   Come and celebrate with us.

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 06:56:00 AM »
This was a HUGE deal last year...I hope it grows!

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 08:44:03 AM »
     It's all about nostalgia... which ain't what it used to be!  So if you have a Voodoo or Half Fast hanging on the wall, bring it out.  Just because you'd rather not fly it, you should still share it.  We were all amazed at the amount of old stuff that showed up for display last year.  With UMAC support we should do bigger and better this time. 

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 09:33:37 AM »
"Whooooo Buddy))))))!!!!!"
AMA 13001

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 01:57:24 PM »
Where else in the world?

Rice Mill Field, Vancouver, B.C.

Ward-O
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Online C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 12:37:50 PM »
That's good to hear Ward. I had to lean into the hyperbole a bit here though!! I think it's way better to encourage guys to come out and see stuff in the flesh than sit around at home or bat stuff back and forth on the interweb.  It will be fun!    Tom

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 05:17:53 PM »
This was a HUGE deal last year...I hope it grows!

Is it possible to find a copy of the rules on line somewhere?

Thanks,
Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 05:41:54 PM »
Hi Randy.....
As I understand, it was mostly guys standing around and having fun with the old stuff.

Years ago the GSCB flew an event called "Nostalgia Combat". As I recall rules were to fly a timed mile, and an OTS pattern.....and maybe a spot landing?

The new "fun fly" format sounds less stressful.

Hampshire has a wing of some sort. With a mysterious black head Fox that goes like stink....

Online C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 07:13:31 PM »
Hi, Please note the enclosed rules.       THERE ARE NONE!

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 09:23:29 PM »
Here's a clip from last year. It was a very fun day.
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,31598.msg327117.html#new
AMA 13001

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 06:56:14 PM »
Guys,
  For those that attended this year and saw me video recording. I lost the first half of the event with a error message on my recorder. So, I don't have a shot of all the planes and attendees(hope someone will post stills). I have a bunch of video of me jogging away from the camera with the camera turning off at the 20 second mark...........I have no idea why!

First Video to share is only half the circle......What can I say I had a bad day with camera!

Anyway, I always hear how Combat guys make great stunt pilots. This Stunt guy could make a great Combat pilot! Since you cant see much, I'll tell you he was tearing up the sky and was having alot of fun!

AMA 13001

Online C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 07:42:55 AM »
Tom, Some film would be good but, of course, the real fun was being there! It was perfect weather at a field that holds many memories for us. There were a ton of ships there. Some I've never seen. It was encouraging to see quite a few new builds since last year. Best of all was the turnout of so many guys. Some flew, some spectated and some spectators flew for the first time in many years! Former Nats winner, Fighting UMAC'er and recently back in the circle Frank Pisz came all the way from Texas to be with us! Bob Hunt got to fly a Voodoo and looked very sharp. Very sharp indeed! LS came with a bunch of his original combat designs. They are all museum pieces and planes that inspired many of us to build and fly. Thanks Larry.
    I'm sorry to say that I will have to defer the top speed award till next year. A number of 36X Foxes were flown but none were up to the 'award' level. My Voodoo had the best time and it was a bit underwhelming. A bit over 110. Guess we all need to do a little homework and try to remember what we forgot in the past 40 years in order to get the speed up a bit. Or, like Walt said in another subject, " you could always remove the nut and propeller and put a Super Tigre under it". But that would be too easy, eh? Ah well, in the meantime, we can dream about returning to Brigadoon next year.   TS

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here