News:

• June 16, 2024, 04:09:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Victorian State Champs 2011 Easter Sunday  (Read 6914 times)

Offline Warren Leadbeatter

• AUS-14782
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • My Home Page
Victorian State Champs 2011 Easter Sunday
« on: April 25, 2011, 08:14:22 PM »
I took a leisurely 1200km (745 miles) drive to the Victorian States Champs for something to do over Easter.  Had a lot of fun, met some nice people, made some new friends, and were very well looked after by our hosts.  A great time was had by all.

Here's some of the F2B photos and results...

1st Place - C. Helmsworth (Vic)
2nd Place - R. Bond (SA) [Electric]
3rd Place - D. Grinham (Vic)

In the First pic, PJ is cleaning his greasy model in the pit area, I'm in the middle pic flying my Electric model and Russell is in the last pic with his Electric model. lol
Warren Leadbeatter
Port Stephens, Australia
AUS-14782

Offline proparc

• Admiral
Re: Victorian State Champs 2011 Easter Sunday
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 01:22:06 AM »
Warren from left to right, who are the three gentleman and what are they flying-planes engines etc.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

• AUS-14782
  • Captain
    • My Home Page
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 03:44:24 AM »
Left to Right

Russell Bond - 2nd place - Bandelero XIII - Plettenberg Electric
Craig Hemsworth - 1st place - KA10ish - Stalker 51
Doug Grinham - 3rd place - Starcraft - Stalker 61

Oh and by the way, Craig Hemsworth is the father of Chris Hemsworth who plays Thor movie of the same name which came out in the USA a few days ago. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Hemsworth  Craigs other sons Luke and Liam are also actors in the Australian soap opera "Neighbours"

Russell Bond is a member of this forum, you'll find him lurking around the Electric section.  ;D

Cheers
Warren Leadbeatter
Port Stephens, Australia
AUS-14782

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 07:08:43 PM »
It was a great event nice weather guests from interstate.
The top guys were flying superb - there were 3 Yatsenko models in the contest.

Top 3 were home built ships.
4th was Yatsenko New classic ( he was only 1 point behind 3rd - Very close )
I placed 5th - which wasn't where I wanted to place - but I did score over 1000 for all 3 flights and I was flying my classic Gieseke Nobler ( trying to shake it down for USA Classic ) - So a nice effort considering what I was up against both in terms of aircraft and fliers skill.

Weather was great, the electrics impressed everyone, judging was fair and consistant with good flights scoring well.

Look forward to next year.

1: Craig Hemsworth = KA10ish - Stalker .51  Final score ; 1149
2: Russel Bond - Bandelero X11 - Plettenberg Electric :    1147
3: Doug Grinham - Starcraft - Stalker .61                      1106

Here are some more Photos I Snapped:

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 09:25:51 PM »
Gee , thats a relief , I thought you'd washed all that paintwork of in that first picture of Warren's , P.J.  :!

• AUS-14782
  • Captain
    • My Home Page
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 10:38:47 PM »
Weather was great, the electrics impressed everyone, judging was fair and consistant with good flights scoring well.

PJ, yes had a lot of questions about the electrics. I was stoked that I got over 1000 on my third flight, my highest ever round score (and final score) in F2B and I beat one of the Yatsenkos, which impressed me even more.  Says to me that my flying is still improving!  :)

Snapped a couple of you flying too!

Warren Leadbeatter
Port Stephens, Australia
AUS-14782

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 09:06:53 AM »
Looks like you fellows are having way too much fun.   The site looks great in the pics.  I wonder about any critters in the back ground brush.   Did I mention the great looking planes. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 02:33:53 PM »
I like PJ's matching shirt.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 03:15:53 PM »
Please tell us more about the Bandolero. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 03:41:47 PM »
Looks a bit like a Firecracker. But then, half the planes in the Northwest look a bit like an Impact. Wonder why?
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

• AUS-14782
  • Captain
    • My Home Page
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 04:20:37 PM »
Russell is a member of this forum, so he can correct me if I am wrong....  The Bandelaro 8 is based on the Firecracker and was built by Bruce Hoffmann, who has made dozens of them... This one I believe was purpose built for electric after Russell fell in love with the idea of electrics at the 2010 NSW State Championships.  He started out with an Arrowind 2832 motor, Castle ICE 50 ESC and Hubin Timer, but changed to Plettenberg motor after experiencing a few difficulties with the Arrowind.   So far this year Russell has come 1st Place at his home State Championships in South Australia, and 2nd in Vic States... and should do well at the NSW States in June.

Yes PJ looked good in his matching shirt... how do you like mine? lol

Warren Leadbeatter
Port Stephens, Australia
AUS-14782

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 04:26:27 PM »
About the Bandolero.
Yes, you are right to think it looks like a Firecracker.
It is actually the wing from the Starduster that Brian Eather had at the 1984 Worlds in the USA where he came 10th.
The Starduster was the forerunner to the Firecracker, it was orange with an ST 46.
I had Bob Hunt make the wing and tail in sheeted foam for me.

The plane has a Plettenburg 25-10 (930k/v), 3300mah 4s battery (uses 2400mah/flight), a CC Ice 50 ESC and a Will Hubin FM9 timer. The RPM is set at 9450 and does 5.5 secs/lap on 65' lines eyelet to eyelet.
Wing root is about 12" without flap and the tip is about 6". It has a LE taper of 4" and flap hinge line of 2". It also has a hinge to hinge tail moment of 19.5".
The whole lot weighs 70oz with battery and balances about 2.5" back from the LE at the root.
It flies a bit better than my Yatsenko which has also been electrified.
Very pleased with it. ;D
Bandolero

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 04:32:11 PM »
Just noticed Warren's reply and yes, Bruce made the fuselage etc, all set up for electrics as I had NO idea where to start. ???
The plane flies so well that I had Bob Hunt make another set of wings and tail.
Every time I talk to Bruce on the phone I tell him how well the plane flies. (I talk to him at least once a week).
Poor guy!!!! LOL ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Bandolero

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 06:00:11 PM »
It certainly didnt fly like it was 70oz. Quite impressive performance from the electrics.

I did ask alot of questions, and I am certainly semi interested in exploring certain aspects of the electric setup - the constant speed - perfect engine runs were indeed impressive.

I talked to Russell about the bandelero and I knew it was the starduster wing, although what differences it is to the firecracker Im not sure.

I didnt even notice I wore colour matched shirt - must have been a co-incidence.  LL~ I like alot of aspects of Flying stunt and being colour co-ordanted with your model I feel is important, maybe not to the scores.. but when you look at sports like tennis and golf they colour match nicely with their equipement, its makes me feel that the time to perform is NOW.

I've almost finished organizing my wardrobe for US nats - A coloured matched t-shirt simply wont cut it.

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 06:04:28 PM »
Does it wiggle in corners?  How is it in the wind?

Thanks.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 06:08:29 PM »
I've almost finished organizing my wardrobe for US nats - A coloured matched t-shirt simply wont cut it. 

True indeed.  I refer you to the following:  http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=360688&mesg_id=360688&page=3
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 06:29:35 PM »
The early Firecrackers had slightly thicker wings than the Starduster and the later Firecracker wings have a totally different airfoil section.
Even though it flies with a larger yaw out than a conventional wing, it does not seem to hinge or yaw in maneuvers as the leadouts are separately adjustable and the down line is about 1.5" back from the up line.
Brian designed the Starduster in about 1982 to be flown in windy and turbulent air at his local club. This plane was taken to the Worlds where I believe it was VERY windy and he performed well with it.
It certainly doesn't "rock n roll" in wind like the lower tapered models do.

I agree with PJ in that it does look "professional" when your gear all color matches along with your clothes as well. ;D ;D ;D ;D
I also agree that it puts your brain in "competition mode" when you wear "flash" clothes and have a flash plane.

Even though it is 70oz, you must remember that was WITH fuel (battery of 12 oz).
When people say their PA75 model weighs 65oz, that does not include 5 or more ounces of fuel.
Also, the weight is closer to the balance point so there is not the barbell effect that the glow models have so it still turns "snappy".
Another advantage of electrics is that the balance point doesn't alter through the flight. ;D
Bandolero

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 06:41:39 PM »
( The bandelero? )

Wiggle as in Rabe rudder?  No

Wiggle as in yaw ? No

Wiggle as in GP ? No

It looked pretty rock steady - seemed to exit corners well - to quote the flier " the plane is flying better than I am "

How was it in wind? I dont know it wasnt windy any of the days I saw it fly.. I suspect it would handle wind fine also.

I must confess it looked slow and appeared underpowered at first glance but NEVER slowed down during manouvers. To be honest it looked more like a very high powered light weight ship running slow laps times. Never wavering.

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 06:53:27 PM »
HAHA Howard :)

Ok ok so I wont be going to THAT level of dress - Hower I did have to get one peiced custom made and taylored...  8)

Now back to ship - Russell has answered everything ;

However I would disagree with one thing :

" is that the balance point doesn't alter through the flight " - It would have to alter .. physically it would HAVE to. the charge cycle reduced from full power to slowly being drained throughout the flight.

I estimate the physical particles from a charged state to a 1/2 charge state would alter the balance point by .02 micrograms.

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 06:54:22 PM »
PJ's right, it doesn't slow down through maneuvers, not like my glow models did even with the PA75.
It is like flying a glow model at 5.3 secs/lap to get the same maneuver speed, which is the important statistic as lap times are only a guide.
The ESC tells the motor to do 9450rpm no matter what the load.
Another interesting fact is the model uses more battery power in calm weather than it does in windy weather. (About 200mah more.)

As for the balance point altering by .02 micrograms; PJ, you have too much time on your hands!!! LOL  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 07:23:28 PM by Russell Bond »
Bandolero

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2011, 07:37:55 PM »
Wasn't the Knox model airplane club hanger barely poking its head above several feet of dirty water the last time a picture of it graced this group?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2011, 07:52:54 PM »
Tim : Indeed it was.

I - Along with 10 other helpful club members spent good part of 6 hrs with 3 trailers and lots of shovels getting all the crap up off the ground once the water subsided.

With the water, and the council mowing the field it looked a treat - perfect stunt circle.

Russel : I might have to double check my maths - it might even be .3 micrograms but I dont have your exact battery specs on hand.  ~>

It flew great - I thought perhaps 2nd was a little harsh...

Would I go to electric myself?? Possibly, I will reserve my judgements for seeing Paul Walkers electric fly - if your going to benchmark a technology I like using the PW scale.

Excuse the pun but electrics look to have many Positives and little Negatives..

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2011, 08:10:41 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
Bandolero

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2011, 08:50:33 PM »
Hey PJ, your email bounces back. Can you send me one please, with your phone number. y1
Bandolero

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 09:01:58 PM »
pjrowland.family@gmail.com

Shouldnt bounce back..

I check it hourly...... Maybe its those South Australian servers...  #^

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2011, 09:46:22 PM »
" many positives and little negatives " A pic of the field in ' float plane ' mode?? please previous to the Big Clean Up.
  The electrons might get all intermingled under water . ! ~^All the Critters get washed away occasionally , J.E.
 Tiss actually the main road and a industrial area, Though land adjacent the watercourse isnt built on.for SOME reason .

Offline Bruce Hoffmann

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2011, 04:22:07 AM »
Yes... I built the model for Russell and extremely happy that he likes it - although I haven't seen him fly it since he took it home with him late last year..  He supplied me with the two halves of the Bob Hunt sheeted wing/flaps, Stab/elevators, I had previously taken photographic detail of how his IC Bandolero was put together (the wing drops out of the bottome of the fuselage) and then set to work building a Fuz to suit the wing etc..

And YES - he does ring me - but quite often nearly once a day!!!!!!!!!   ~> HB~>
Bruce

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2011, 04:31:38 AM »
You did a good job Bruce. Did you trim it also? 

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2011, 04:40:46 AM »
Ha ha!
Bruce got it flying but I did the trimming! ;D

Also, when I got it from Bruce, it was all white. He called it "Ipana" after the toothpaste.
You know..."Whiter than White!"...Cheeky boy he is and I don't ring him everyday, maybe once every two days..Hahaha ;D ;D
Bandolero

Offline Bruce Hoffmann

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2011, 05:34:50 AM »
Maybe it just feels like you ring me that often?? !! y1
Bruce

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2011, 06:46:15 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D
Bandolero

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2011, 07:18:02 AM »
All jokes aside you both came up with a good package. Well done.

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2011, 07:56:26 AM »
Thanks PJ, from both of us.  ;D
Bandolero

Offline Bruce Hoffmann

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2011, 04:12:28 PM »
Thanks PJ, from both of us.  ;D

God Russell....... Makes it sound like we're married!!!!!   mw~
Bruce

• AUS-14782
  • Captain
    • My Home Page
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2011, 05:15:46 PM »
LOL  Hey how many electric models/flyers were at the Vets Gathering!!  Reg, Herb, Paul, Steve, Me, You!  I Think we've started something!
Warren Leadbeatter
Port Stephens, Australia
AUS-14782

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2011, 05:26:11 PM »
Hahahahahahahaha!!!!

OOPS.
I'm glad I live 1000miles from you otherwise people would think that, I guess.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Bandolero

Offline Bruce Hoffmann

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2011, 06:10:25 PM »
LOL  Hey how many electric models/flyers were at the Vets Gathering!!  Reg, Herb, Paul, Steve, Me, You!  I Think we've started something!

Reg and Herb still have a way to go before they are convinced      :-\   but they are being swayed    :!  ...more and more flyers are seeing the distinct advantages of EL F2B .......will be interesting in a couple of years to see how many compete at State Champs/Nats level..
 H^^

Bruce

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2011, 05:07:43 AM »
Just make sure that everyone is wearing a Safety thong.

Its a new rule for FAI, but I would like to know what the implications are on a flier who was NOT wearing said safety device ?

Rules ARE rules and ignorance isn't a defence.

Speaking of royal weddings - What would you guys Select ?

Russell Hoffman
Or
Bruce Bond

Or will you go for the Hybrid Hyphen ? Bruce & Russell Hoffman-Bond
I like Bruce Bond, makes you sound like a movie star.  y1

Offline Bruce Hoffmann

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2011, 05:27:45 AM »
Just make sure that everyone is wearing a Safety thong.

Its a new rule for FAI, but I would like to know what the implications are on a flier who was NOT wearing said safety device ?

Rules ARE rules and ignorance isn't a defence.

Speaking of royal weddings - What would you guys Select ?

Russell Hoffman
Or
Bruce Bond

Or will you go for the Hybrid Hyphen ? Bruce & Russell Hoffman-Bond
I like Bruce Bond, makes you sound like a movie star.  y1

Very clever PJ!!  (I have the James Bond 007 theme as my phone ring tone!)  and 'oh' what a horrible thought!! 
Bruce

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2011, 05:33:13 AM »
Oh, I don't know...
Marry me Bruce and then you can make all my planes for me.   :o :o :o :o
Bandolero

Offline Bruce Hoffmann

• Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2011, 05:45:09 AM »
Oh, I don't know...
Marry me Bruce and then you can make all my planes for me.   :o :o :o :o

Sorry Russell - you haven't enough money to tempt me to turn to the 'dark' side (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

And besides - just thinking about it makes me want to vomit!!
Bruce

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2011, 05:48:38 AM »
 :'( :'( :'( :'( "Sad face...."
Bandolero

Offline Bruce Hoffmann

• Lieutenant
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2011, 05:53:15 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D :)  Happy face!
Bruce

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2011, 07:02:11 AM »
What is the wing span and area on the Bandolero ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2011, 07:11:36 AM »
You know if you both DID get married - the kids would look amazing : ANother " happy face "

( Bruce your so lucky i didnt have an UPclose photo of your face )

y1

Isnt love beautiful.

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2011, 07:23:37 AM »
YUK!!!  Haha

The wing area is 680 sq/ins.
Wing; 12" root, 6" tip x 60" span.
Flaps; 3.75 to 1"
19.5" hinge to hinge
Tailplane; 4.5" to 2.5" x 30"
Elevators; 3.75" to 2.5"
70 oz with fuel.
Wing has a blunt LE and forward high point.
Bandolero

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2011, 08:23:57 AM »
Flies like a baby

The finish is a smooth as a baby russells bottom.

The engine run was so quiet even a baby could sleep through it.

Im out of babisms.  <=

Offline Bruce Hoffmann

• Lieutenant
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2011, 04:42:08 PM »
OMG!!!   The baby Russell is enough to want me to put my head in the toilet!  VD~  (I'll give merit to myself as to how smooooth his model is though!)   y1
Bruce

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2011, 07:28:41 PM »
Hahaha...I think I'm going to "throw up".. LL~
Bandolero

Advertise Here
Tags: